Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Employee Reviews

Wonderful experience at CAMHJ and I only wish I could have stayed beyond the contract!The staff were amazing and the work is meaningful.I would highly recommend working at CAMH.
Pros
meaningful work
Cons
contract
CAMH throughout the years has been a home away from home, good and clean environment and i loved the work field we all work as a team . Ive learned and fully understand chemicals and the proper way to sanitize .
I enjoy my work because I love to serve clients. I learn daily something new from different people and learn new something work related. I love to learn and adapt to make good changes in my daily life . Most enjoyble part of my job is to connect with clients and listen to them and try to help them as much as I can.
CAMH is a vast organization, so it is hard to review fairly considering I have only worked in one position and in one department. My experience has not been positive, with incompetent management. However, no hospital in the area pays as well, so that helps strike a balance.
A very values- and mission driven organization. Smart, passionate staff who care deeply about promoting mental health. A hospital not only engaged in direct provision of clinical care but also a world-leading work in mental health research, education/knowledge exchange & training, and system-building.
staff health and welfare exploited for the sake of research variables. clients and families deserve more, than a crisis clinic. After all, they posture that they are a offer comprehensive long term case management followup.
Pros
none at present
Cons
many
I enjoy working at CAMH because it helps me to understand the people with mental issues as well as how to deal with them in a daily basis. Management are very helpful. It is a diverse workplace. the hardest part of the job is to see people deal with their mental issues and as well as their family who are also affected and how they face the problem in their lives. The most enjoyable part of the job is our team work, doing our tasks together and helping each other.
CAMH was my home away from home. Working here means being part of a team of exceptional mental health professionals. The facilities are world class. Many positions are unionized and it is nice to have a job where employees are treated like human beings. Compassion and kindness is CAMH’s business. Working here though often challenging is a great experience. I was able to launch my career with skills CAMH taught and developed in me. I miss working here. The department I worked in did mean I experienced vicarious trauma frequently but I had colleagues I could trust and rely on. Further the organization let me develop as a person and taught me life lessons I am always going to be grateful for.
Love my job, my co-workers and the Management staff. Just too far away from home. Long distance travelling everyday. Love working and helping our clients.
I volunteered at CAMH and I had plenty of support from the Social Workers so I could support the clients. I normally accompanied my clients to do activities that they enjoyed and supported them that way.
Pros
Good support from Social Workers
Cons
As an intern, it was worth it and I can't wait to get hired at this place! I highly recommend this place to any student pursuing a medical career. A place to learn and grow.
I really enjoyed working in the acute care unit at CAMH. There's a program that i had the privilege to be a part of which is called Prevention and Management of Aggressive Behaviour where we are taught trauma informed care and how to manage aggressive behaviour in the most dignified manner.
Cons
Short Staff
Lots of opportunities for growth, you can move up within the organization and to different program.s There are also lots of opportunities for education and workshops.
CAMH is a great place to work - the culture is open and fun, but equally professional (and even academic, if you so choose!). Located right downtown, the campus is close to many amenities and TTC - making it easy to get to work.
Its been a long time since I've been there. But day to day was monitoring the various cameras in the center as well as hourly patrols. You have to monitor drop in patience while they meet with their psychiatrist or therapist. Also search certain patience who have a history of being violent. Did not deal with management. Hardest part of the job was dealing with suicide attempts and/or violent outburst.
CAMH is an inclusive and caring hospital that has wonderful teams that really go out of their way to help the patient's who come to us for help. It makes working here very rewarding because you know that you are helping to make someone's life better. The staff are friendly and willing to go the extra mile to help each other. We have pot luck breakfasts or lunches just to build team spirit and often have after work gatherings for those who can attend. The management is always willing to listen to your ideas about how to make yours and others work life easier. They encourage growth and learning and the open environment allows for easy communication for good and bad reasons welcome. With the types of patient's that we have to encounter varying largely when a difficult situation arises management and the whole team are there to support you and make sure you are taking care of yourself as well. One of the most enjoyable parts of the job is that there is never a dull day and you never know what to expect from one day to the next.
The hardest part of the job is the deadlines which are impossible to meet. If you work hard and long, then the benefits will be attainable.
Twelve hour shifts as nursing student, however staff work in 8 hour rotations. Amazing co-workers and immaculate team cohesion of multiple disciplines. Charge nurse and MDs proficient in effective management. Co-workers display a high level of respect to every individual, high levels of competency. Clients are in their most vulnerable states, and their levels of fear may be a barrier to care. High level of personal satisfaction.
*coworkers are great *hardest part of job is putting people in mechanical restraints *most enjoyable part of job is connecting with patients and providing support
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Shift work
This company went above and beyond for their employees, patients and external stakeholders. It was a privilege to work with such a commendable group of people (staff) doing extraordinary projects that lead to a better and healthier community as a whole.
Pros
Great leadership mentors. Fantastic staff. very curtious members on the board.
I enjoyed working at CAMH. I felt that it was an interesting and learning experience. And my feedback was greatly appreciated.
Pros
I liked how organized they were.
Cons
Not enough hours of work.