Centre for Addiction and Mental Health logo
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Management reviews

Clear

Great for getting experience, not so great to work at

There is a lot of problems with absent managers and staff conflicts.The team is very much divided and makes some shifts hard. Many (but not all) staff are lazy and neglectful, leaving you to pick up the slack. Patient notice this too. The pay for this position is extremely low for the work done and the work expectations.

Pros

Experience in field, big/well recognized company name, networking

Cons

Workplace culture can be toxic

Sort of runs like a for-profit agency

Unfortunately, employee wellness is not really a consideration at CAMH. Very numbers driven where amount of clients seen is prioritized over quality of care. Much of management is reactionary and clients often suffer due to staff having to move on quickly due to only short contracts being offered at first. High risk of burnout with low benefit to staff.

Silo culture, poisonous management and coworkers

Surveillance society with a Versailles structure maintained through social justice activists and shady operatives. Overtly open to being "data-driven" but quite hostile to anything that may uncover practices. Embodiment of the Addiction, Homelessness & Mental Health Industrial Complex.

Pros

Things that could be done for the benefit of Health Information

Cons

Management's resistance to all that could be done

Would recommend working if you just want a job with no input on your future

Good place to work depending on which dept. Management does not share ideas for any changes and never ask for staff input, although staff know the job best. Okay pay and benefits is fair, but employees voices are not heard. They say they listen and value staff input, but clearly, that's not the case

Great cause to contribute to, great team

Great collaborative environment that supported personal growth and innovation. Strict work hours that create work structure and work-life balance. Agile project management.

Rewarding

You feel like you're doing good work at CAMH and the team and management are supportive. Location is downtown which is convenient. Once your in the company it's easy to move around.

Pros

Good Pay

Cons

Long Hours

Amazing place to work!

Very flexible work environment. At the time I worked there, management open, encouraging and flexible. Salary and wages were great! I learned much... and was also encouraged to go to college part time which CAMH paid for. One of the best places I had ever worked! Working in Schizophrenia and Occupational Therapy taught me much more than I could have thought possible!

Not recommended.

Senior management has a very group think mentality. Any outliers are shunned and ostracized. I found that for the most part, management and staff were more toxic than clients. Truly sad. It is a real wonder than clients get assistance needed.

toxic cooking place

hired to work as a cook with high excitement,,,unfortunately everything turned to a nightmare ,,, a ruthless and very rood cook that you need to deal with during training,,,after few shifts addressed my concerns to the management,,but they been taking there time to deal with it,,in the end i had no other options than to leave. after that they went through probably four cooks but none of them last more two months at the most piece of advice don't waste your time if you applying as a cook there

Pros

really good $$, some great people at the food and nutrition service

Cons

no guaranteed hours but expecting you to be ready to work every day, very stressful kitchen

good place overall

Good place to work. A lot of over time opportunities due to staff shortage. Good management. Long hours. Not a lot of compensation for continuing education or training.

Jobs at Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

See more jobs

Awesome place to work

Great company to work, good environment. The best part of the job is making a difference in someone's life. Management support for life/work balance.

Fast faced environment

I worked with the Physician-in-Chief at the time, who was then promoted to Executive Vice President. I had worked with him previously in another role in Hamilton and moved with him to the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health when he took his new role. We had a great working relationship and it was a pleasure working with him at CAMH.

Excellent support staff and management. All the studies that go on there are excellent and supportive to the community. Workplace culture was great.

Come for the salary, stay for other opportunities

CAMH is a vast organization, so it is hard to review fairly considering I have only worked in one position and in one department. My experience has not been positive, with incompetent management. However, no hospital in the area pays as well, so that helps strike a balance.

Terrible work culture - uncaring, entitled and incorrigible leadership

staff health and welfare exploited for the sake of research variables. clients and families deserve more, than a crisis clinic. After all, they posture that they are a offer comprehensive long term case management followup.

Pros

none at present

Cons

many

I enjoy working at CAMH because it helps me to understand the people with mental issues as well as how to deal with them in a daily basis. Management are very helpful. It is a diverse workplace. the hardest part of the job is to see people deal with their mental issues and as well as their family who are also affected and how they face the problem in their lives. The most enjoyable part of the job is our team work, doing our tasks together and helping each other.

love my job

Love my job, my co-workers and the Management staff. Just too far away from home. Long distance travelling everyday. Love working and helping our clients.

Client Centered Care

I really enjoyed working in the acute care unit at CAMH. There's a program that i had the privilege to be a part of which is called Prevention and Management of Aggressive Behaviour where we are taught trauma informed care and how to manage aggressive behaviour in the most dignified manner.

Cons

Short Staff

Daily duties

Its been a long time since I've been there. But day to day was monitoring the various cameras in the center as well as hourly patrols. You have to monitor drop in patience while they meet with their psychiatrist or therapist. Also search certain patience who have a history of being violent. Did not deal with management. Hardest part of the job was dealing with suicide attempts and/or violent outburst.

Friendly supportive team that works well together

CAMH is an inclusive and caring hospital that has wonderful teams that really go out of their way to help the patient's who come to us for help. It makes working here very rewarding because you know that you are helping to make someone's life better. The staff are friendly and willing to go the extra mile to help each other. We have pot luck breakfasts or lunches just to build team spirit and often have after work gatherings for those who can attend. The management is always willing to listen to your ideas about how to make yours and others work life easier. They encourage growth and learning and the open environment allows for easy communication for good and bad reasons welcome. With the types of patient's that we have to encounter varying largely when a difficult situation arises management and the whole team are there to support you and make sure you are taking care of yourself as well. One of the most enjoyable parts of the job is that there is never a dull day and you never know what to expect from one day to the next.

Comprehensively complex and invigorating workplace. High level of personal satisfaction.

Twelve hour shifts as nursing student, however staff work in 8 hour rotations. Amazing co-workers and immaculate team cohesion of multiple disciplines. Charge nurse and MDs proficient in effective management. Co-workers display a high level of respect to every individual, high levels of competency. Clients are in their most vulnerable states, and their levels of fear may be a barrier to care. High level of personal satisfaction.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement