Centre for Addiction and Mental Health logo
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Culture reviews

Clear

Supportive and friendly environment

I been working at CAmh for over 10years now, it is an teaching hospital and the opportunity for growth is endless. Regardless of ones culture or beliefs your always supported and feel part of the team. I consider my team at CAMH as my extended family. THEY NEVER LET ME DOWN and as a team we never let our Patients/clients /family member down. “WE WORK TOGETHER WE ARE ONE TEAM”

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Shortage of staff at a times

Great for getting experience, not so great to work at

There is a lot of problems with absent managers and staff conflicts.The team is very much divided and makes some shifts hard. Many (but not all) staff are lazy and neglectful, leaving you to pick up the slack. Patient notice this too. The pay for this position is extremely low for the work done and the work expectations.

Pros

Experience in field, big/well recognized company name, networking

Cons

Workplace culture can be toxic

Challenging workplace with opportunity to make a real difference.

Although the work environment was stressful at times, the benefit of this job is the interaction with patients and their families. Most interactions with coworkers were positive and very supportive.

Productive and collaborative

Productive and collaborative. It is a multi-disclipinary team where we are regular team meetings that is both clinical and productive. We are client-centred and holistic in nature.

the needs of the org reign supreme

Get ready to be a member of Canada's largest spin machine. Sure they get all the money, but the org values it's image more than the needs of its clients. As a clinician, you'll be responsible for protecting the illusion that this place is anything more than a vehicle for psychopharmacology and it's academic interests. non-medical staff can be placated for years with ceremonial activities that seem to function as a means to allow people to pretend they provide a range of services. Be prepared to join the ranks of the most professionally unsatisfying culture. When you're not bogged down by administrative tasks you'll have a little time left over to meet clients and manage their expectations of actually receiving a helpful Mental Health service.

Great place to work!

Great supportive work environment! It has great benefits and flexible work schedule. I enjoyed my time at CAMH and honoured to have worked for such a great organization.

Excellent learning opportunity for students

Good work/life balance, decent salary; opportunities for internal advancement; highly corporate culture; team work; challenging but rewarding work....

Excellent Learning Environment

Well trained staff. Most staff are friendly and helpful. A world of opportunity to learn from different people and different areas of Mental Health. A very professional environment.

Amazing place to work!

Very flexible work environment. At the time I worked there, management open, encouraging and flexible. Salary and wages were great! I learned much... and was also encouraged to go to college part time which CAMH paid for. One of the best places I had ever worked! Working in Schizophrenia and Occupational Therapy taught me much more than I could have thought possible!

Not recommended.

Senior management has a very group think mentality. Any outliers are shunned and ostracized. I found that for the most part, management and staff were more toxic than clients. Truly sad. It is a real wonder than clients get assistance needed.

Jobs at Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

See more jobs

Inclusive department with opportunity to learn new tasks

The Nicotine Dependence Clinic (NDC) at CAMH is a small department with a culture that is diverse, extremely friendly, inclusive, and respectful. NDC employees are committed to excellence and are very supportive of one another.

Productive and fun

As a research assistant, I enjoyed being part of a neuroscience lab at CAMH. The research team and my PI himself are very helpful and nice. We had a collaborative and productive group.

Working at CAMH so far has been great! The place is run well and my department is great. Been here for over a year and I been happy over all with everything

everything at camh is great

Everything at camh is great, I love to work here the department I work in is wonderful and I have a great balance. I have been working here for over 27 years and I'm happy.

crazy place

flexibility of great, can be a little catty and nit picking seemed to work as team. Overall this place is a very complex place to work in and it take a person who is very committed to working in mental health

Pros

challenging

Cons

overwhelming sometimes

Excellent support staff and management. All the studies that go on there are excellent and supportive to the community. Workplace culture was great.

love my job

Love my job, my co-workers and the Management staff. Just too far away from home. Long distance travelling everyday. Love working and helping our clients.

Excellent place to work. Lots of support.

I volunteered at CAMH and I had plenty of support from the Social Workers so I could support the clients. I normally accompanied my clients to do activities that they enjoyed and supported them that way.

Pros

Good support from Social Workers

Cons

CAMH is a great place to work - the culture is open and fun, but equally professional (and even academic, if you so choose!). Located right downtown, the campus is close to many amenities and TTC - making it easy to get to work.

Friendly supportive team that works well together

CAMH is an inclusive and caring hospital that has wonderful teams that really go out of their way to help the patient's who come to us for help. It makes working here very rewarding because you know that you are helping to make someone's life better. The staff are friendly and willing to go the extra mile to help each other. We have pot luck breakfasts or lunches just to build team spirit and often have after work gatherings for those who can attend. The management is always willing to listen to your ideas about how to make yours and others work life easier. They encourage growth and learning and the open environment allows for easy communication for good and bad reasons welcome. With the types of patient's that we have to encounter varying largely when a difficult situation arises management and the whole team are there to support you and make sure you are taking care of yourself as well. One of the most enjoyable parts of the job is that there is never a dull day and you never know what to expect from one day to the next.

Very stressful at times

The hardest part of the job is the deadlines which are impossible to meet. If you work hard and long, then the benefits will be attainable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement