Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Employee Reviews in Toronto, ON

I been working at CAmh for over 10years now, it is an teaching hospital and the opportunity for growth is endless. Regardless of ones culture or beliefs your always supported and feel part of the team. I consider my team at CAMH as my extended family. THEY NEVER LET ME DOWN and as a team we never let our Patients/clients /family member down. “WE WORK TOGETHER WE ARE ONE TEAM”
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Shortage of staff at a times
CAMH was for me a very close research facility, where collaboration has been replaced with competition. Internal and between-site communications were very inefficient; what would cause considerable delays in research activities and progress.
Unfortunately, employee wellness is not really a consideration at CAMH. Very numbers driven where amount of clients seen is prioritized over quality of care. Much of management is reactionary and clients often suffer due to staff having to move on quickly due to only short contracts being offered at first. High risk of burnout with low benefit to staff.
Surveillance society with a Versailles structure maintained through social justice activists and shady operatives. Overtly open to being "data-driven" but quite hostile to anything that may uncover practices. Embodiment of the Addiction, Homelessness & Mental Health Industrial Complex.
Pros
Things that could be done for the benefit of Health Information
Cons
Management's resistance to all that could be done
There is a lot of problems with absent managers and staff conflicts.The team is very much divided and makes some shifts hard. Many (but not all) staff are lazy and neglectful, leaving you to pick up the slack. Patient notice this too. The pay for this position is extremely low for the work done and the work expectations.
Pros
Experience in field, big/well recognized company name, networking
Cons
Workplace culture can be toxic
increased knowledge and skills , positive energy, learning , would like to have a job at the CAMH , because enjoyed the environment and had a lot of beneficial experience
Although the work environment was stressful at times, the benefit of this job is the interaction with patients and their families. Most interactions with coworkers were positive and very supportive.
Good mental health is important 24/7 but is not possible for various reasons for the challenges people face while existing in society. Learning to cope, remain calm and healthy is a great path for good mental health. camh leads the way in this regard.
Pros
serving others
Cons
N/a
Good place to work depending on which dept. Management does not share ideas for any changes and never ask for staff input, although staff know the job best. Okay pay and benefits is fair, but employees voices are not heard. They say they listen and value staff input, but clearly, that's not the case
Great collaborative environment that supported personal growth and innovation. Strict work hours that create work structure and work-life balance. Agile project management.
You feel like you're doing good work at CAMH and the team and management are supportive. Location is downtown which is convenient. Once your in the company it's easy to move around.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Long Hours
Volunteering can be very challenging depending on where you are placed. If volunteering in patient care unit, there’s more opportunity for learning and growth. I have been there for several years and have found the recognition of the service given by volunteers dwindled down to nothing. I think Mgmt knows that CAMH looks good on a resume for volunteer work
Pros
Clients are so grateful for your help
Cons
Program coordinator need training
Get ready to be a member of Canada's largest spin machine. Sure they get all the money, but the org values it's image more than the needs of its clients. As a clinician, you'll be responsible for protecting the illusion that this place is anything more than a vehicle for psychopharmacology and it's academic interests. non-medical staff can be placated for years with ceremonial activities that seem to function as a means to allow people to pretend they provide a range of services. Be prepared to join the ranks of the most professionally unsatisfying culture. When you're not bogged down by administrative tasks you'll have a little time left over to meet clients and manage their expectations of actually receiving a helpful Mental Health service.
I entered data and analysed data and consolidated patient documentation. I organised files, collected consent forms and did other various administrative tasks.
Great supportive work environment! It has great benefits and flexible work schedule. I enjoyed my time at CAMH and honoured to have worked for such a great organization.
Good work/life balance, decent salary; opportunities for internal advancement; highly corporate culture; team work; challenging but rewarding work....
Well trained staff. Most staff are friendly and helpful. A world of opportunity to learn from different people and different areas of Mental Health. A very professional environment.
Very flexible work environment. At the time I worked there, management open, encouraging and flexible. Salary and wages were great! I learned much... and was also encouraged to go to college part time which CAMH paid for. One of the best places I had ever worked! Working in Schizophrenia and Occupational Therapy taught me much more than I could have thought possible!
Working at CAMH gives me a sense of hope and care for clients who are in need. The most satisfying part of my job is watching the clients enjoy their meals.
Senior management has a very group think mentality. Any outliers are shunned and ostracized. I found that for the most part, management and staff were more toxic than clients. Truly sad. It is a real wonder than clients get assistance needed.
The staff at CAMH were extremely supporting and welcoming. Extremely helpful when information or assistance was needed. Felt safe while on the units, and other unit staff were extremely educating as well.