Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Employee Review

the needs of the org reign supreme

24 December 2019
Get ready to be a member of Canada's largest spin machine. Sure they get all the money, but the org values it's image more than the needs of its clients. As a clinician, you'll be responsible for protecting the illusion that this place is anything more than a vehicle for psychopharmacology and it's academic interests. non-medical staff can be placated for years with ceremonial activities that seem to function as a means to allow people to pretend they provide a range of services. Be prepared to join the ranks of the most professionally unsatisfying culture. When you're not bogged down by administrative tasks you'll have a little time left over to meet clients and manage their expectations of actually receiving a helpful Mental Health service.
3.0Job security/advancement
15 June 2015
Same roleSame location
Addiction Therapist (Former Employee) - Toronto, ON
CAMH has taken to hiring managers for clinical programmes who have no clinical experience but are great with completing excel spreadsheets. If you yourself have a mental health issue they are not supportive and are sometimes quite cruel. Many staff are stressed and feel no agency over their work environment. Saying no is not an option.
Pros
Decent salary
2 January 2021
Same location
RN Staff Nurse/case Management outpatient (Current Employee) - Toronto, ON
I been working at CAmh for over 10years now, it is an teaching hospital and the opportunity for growth is endless. Regardless of ones culture or beliefs your always supported and feel part of the team. I consider my team at CAMH as my extended family. THEY NEVER LET ME DOWN and as a team we never let our Patients/clients /family member down. “WE WORK TOGETHER WE ARE ONE TEAM”
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Shortage of staff at a times
15 October 2020
Same location
Post-doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) - Toronto, ON
CAMH was for me a very close research facility, where collaboration has been replaced with competition. Internal and between-site communications were very inefficient; what would cause considerable delays in research activities and progress.