Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Employee Reviews

crazy place
RN Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 July 2018
flexibility of great, can be a little catty and nit picking
seemed to work as team.
Overall this place is a very complex place to work in and it take a person who is very committed to working in mental health
Pros
challenging
Cons
overwhelming sometimes
Love patient to clients
PSW (Former Employee) –  Toronto on23 June 2018
I am a psw over 8 years I have lots of love and patient I love my job because I could make the clients and their happy and relax after I gave them good services they all like me and always the client choose me as soon as I helped him
Healthy and refreshing environment to work in
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2018
CAMH throughout the years has been a home away from home, good and clean environment and i loved the work field we all work as a team . Ive learned and fully understand chemicals and the proper way to sanitize .
My Experience
Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  TORONTO8 March 2018
I enjoy my work because I love to serve clients. I learn daily something new from different people and learn new something work related. I love to learn and adapt to make good changes in my daily life . Most enjoyble part of my job is to connect with clients and listen to them and try to help them as much as I can.
Come for the salary, stay for other opportunities
Research Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2018
CAMH is a vast organization, so it is hard to review fairly considering I have only worked in one position and in one department. My experience has not been positive, with incompetent management. However, no hospital in the area pays as well, so that helps strike a balance.
Values- and Purpose driven organization
Director, Corporate Planning & Strategy (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2018
A very values- and mission driven organization. Smart, passionate staff who care deeply about promoting mental health. A hospital not only engaged in direct provision of clinical care but also a world-leading work in mental health research, education/knowledge exchange & training, and system-building.
Terrible work culture - uncaring, entitled and incorrigible leadership
Social Worker EIP (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 February 2018
staff health and welfare exploited for the sake of research variables.
clients and families deserve more, than a crisis clinic. After all, they posture that they are a offer comprehensive long term case management followup.
Pros
none at present
Cons
many
Best employer you could ask for
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2018
CAMH was my home away from home. Working here means being part of a team of exceptional mental health professionals. The facilities are world class. Many positions are unionized and it is nice to have a job where employees are treated like human beings. Compassion and kindness is CAMH’s business. Working here though often challenging is a great experience.

I was able to launch my career with skills CAMH taught and developed in me. I miss working here. The department I worked in did mean I experienced vicarious trauma frequently but I had colleagues I could trust and rely on. Further the organization let me develop as a person and taught me life lessons I am always going to be grateful for.
love my job
Admitting and Locating Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 August 2017
Love my job, my co-workers and the Management staff. Just too far away from home. Long distance travelling everyday. Love working and helping our clients.
Excellent place to work. Lots of support.
Volunteer - Social Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 August 2017
I volunteered at CAMH and I had plenty of support from the Social Workers so I could support the clients. I normally accompanied my clients to do activities that they enjoyed and supported them that way.
Pros
Good support from Social Workers
Client Centered Care
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 June 2017
I really enjoyed working in the acute care unit at CAMH. There's a program that i had the privilege to be a part of which is called Prevention and Management of Aggressive Behaviour where we are taught trauma informed care and how to manage aggressive behaviour in the most dignified manner.
Cons
Short Staff
Great Place to Work
Recreation Therapist & PMAB Coach (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 June 2017
Lots of opportunities for growth, you can move up within the organization and to different program.s There are also lots of opportunities for education and workshops.
IT Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 April 2017
CAMH is a great place to work - the culture is open and fun, but equally professional (and even academic, if you so choose!). Located right downtown, the campus is close to many amenities and TTC - making it easy to get to work.
Friendly supportive team that works well together
Department Secretary (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2016
CAMH is an inclusive and caring hospital that has wonderful teams that really go out of their way to help the patient's who come to us for help. It makes working here very rewarding because you know that you are helping to make someone's life better. The staff are friendly and willing to go the extra mile to help each other. We have pot luck breakfasts or lunches just to build team spirit and often have after work gatherings for those who can attend. The management is always willing to listen to your ideas about how to make yours and others work life easier. They encourage growth and learning and the open environment allows for easy communication for good and bad reasons welcome. With the types of patient's that we have to encounter varying largely when a difficult situation arises management and the whole team are there to support you and make sure you are taking care of yourself as well. One of the most enjoyable parts of the job is that there is never a dull day and you never know what to expect from one day to the next.
Comprehensively complex and invigorating workplace. High level of personal satisfaction.
Nursing Student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2016
Twelve hour shifts as nursing student, however staff work in 8 hour rotations. Amazing co-workers and immaculate team cohesion of multiple disciplines. Charge nurse and MDs proficient in effective management. Co-workers display a high level of respect to every individual, high levels of competency.
Clients are in their most vulnerable states, and their levels of fear may be a barrier to care.
High level of personal satisfaction.
Meaningful and Rewarding Work
Program Assistant-GPU/ACU, ED (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 March 2016
*coworkers are great
*hardest part of job is putting people in mechanical restraints
*most enjoyable part of job is connecting with patients and providing support
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Shift work
Great Organization
Administrative Professional (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2016
This company went above and beyond for their employees, patients and external stakeholders.

It was a privilege to work with such a commendable group of people (staff) doing extraordinary projects that lead to a better and healthier community as a whole.
Pros
Great leadership mentors. Fantastic staff. very curtious members on the board.
A welcoming atmosphere.
Panel Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2016
I enjoyed working at CAMH. I felt that it was an interesting and learning experience. And my feedback was greatly appreciated.
Pros
I liked how organized they were.
Cons
Not enough hours of work.
Camh
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2016
It was a very good experience. The staff were friendly and really helped me out when I had any questions. People were courteous, friendly, warm and approachable. I recommend it to anybody who wants to start out!
No wonder its the number one cancer hospital in Canada
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 December 2015
One of the most well-organized institutions I have worked at. Would recommend it to anyone who is considering an opportunity here.