Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

Centre for Addiction and Mental Health: 91 Employee Reviews

Canada91 reviews

mentalhealthclientstafflearningpatientopportunityteam

Postdoc Experience could be better

Be aware that Postdocs don't receive benefits, vacation, etc., are on contract and are paid on a T4A (pay their own taxes). Work/life balance can be a big challenge.

CAMH- like being in the Savannah

Working at CAMH was like being in the Savannah, you always had to keep a lookout for predators. What disturbed me was not the "bad apples" but the prevalence and normality of bad behavior. You can make good money at CAMH, but I do not recommend working here if you value your dignity or you worry you may be unable to bounce back from a traumatic experience.

Pros

Money, benefits, job security

Cons

APCL/Managers, safety issues, bullying, work culture

Insights into Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment

Security Guard 1 and 2

10 + years at CAMH, its a great place to work. Of course depending where you work and your title your environment will differ so don't judge from one employees review.Security POV.. its good, you'll work, ill be challenging, manage your time accordingly and do your job, you'll be fine. It is what you make it rite. Organization s great, don't get caught up in the politics, be neutral and do your job and theses no problem rite. Security you wont really advance, but its possible, nursing is different you'll have lots of options to advance or transfer to a different dept.All around it is what you make it, like any job,

Great work environment and team

I’ve worked with a few different teams at CAMH and they are all welcoming, understanding, and motivated to help others. I have enjoyed every opportunity that I have taken with CAMH

Passionate about Mental Health: Go for it!

I decided to take the initial very low paying position with CAMH is because of the work they do i.e. for mental health and addictions. It made me realise my calling and passion in life; finding happiness in service and helping others.

Good job security

Good job security however workplace culture is toxic and staff become jaded quickly. Difficult to maintain self and provide the best patient care, lots of burnout and have seen many coworkers leave the job. That being said I love my job but do wish they paid more, aline with industry standard

CAMH is an employer of choice!

Wonderful experience at CAMHJ and I only wish I could have stayed beyond the contract!The staff were amazing and the work is meaningful.I would highly recommend working at CAMH.

Pros

meaningful work

Cons

contract

Supportive and friendly environment

I been working at CAmh for over 10years now, it is an teaching hospital and the opportunity for growth is endless. Regardless of ones culture or beliefs your always supported and feel part of the team. I consider my team at CAMH as my extended family. THEY NEVER LET ME DOWN and as a team we never let our Patients/clients /family member down. “WE WORK TOGETHER WE ARE ONE TEAM”

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Shortage of staff at a times

poor management and work culture

CAMH was for me a very close research facility, where collaboration has been replaced with competition. Internal and between-site communications were very inefficient; what would cause considerable delays in research activities and progress.

Sort of runs like a for-profit agency

Unfortunately, employee wellness is not really a consideration at CAMH. Very numbers driven where amount of clients seen is prioritized over quality of care. Much of management is reactionary and clients often suffer due to staff having to move on quickly due to only short contracts being offered at first. High risk of burnout with low benefit to staff.

Silo culture, poisonous management and coworkers

Surveillance society with a Versailles structure maintained through social justice activists and shady operatives. Overtly open to being "data-driven" but quite hostile to anything that may uncover practices. Embodiment of the Addiction, Homelessness & Mental Health Industrial Complex.

Pros

Things that could be done for the benefit of Health Information

Cons

Management's resistance to all that could be done

Great for getting experience, not so great to work at

There is a lot of problems with absent managers and staff conflicts.The team is very much divided and makes some shifts hard. Many (but not all) staff are lazy and neglectful, leaving you to pick up the slack. Patient notice this too. The pay for this position is extremely low for the work done and the work expectations.

Pros

Experience in field, big/well recognized company name, networking

Cons

Workplace culture can be toxic

productive and positive

increased knowledge and skills , positive energy, learning , would like to have a job at the CAMH , because enjoyed the environment and had a lot of beneficial experience

Challenging workplace with opportunity to make a real difference.

Although the work environment was stressful at times, the benefit of this job is the interaction with patients and their families. Most interactions with coworkers were positive and very supportive.

Good Communication solves all things

Good mental health is important 24/7 but is not possible for various reasons for the challenges people face while existing in society. Learning to cope, remain calm and healthy is a great path for good mental health. camh leads the way in this regard.

Pros

serving others

Cons

N/a

Would recommend working if you just want a job with no input on your future

Good place to work depending on which dept. Management does not share ideas for any changes and never ask for staff input, although staff know the job best. Okay pay and benefits is fair, but employees voices are not heard. They say they listen and value staff input, but clearly, that's not the case

Great cause to contribute to, great team

Great collaborative environment that supported personal growth and innovation. Strict work hours that create work structure and work-life balance. Agile project management.

Rewarding

You feel like you're doing good work at CAMH and the team and management are supportive. Location is downtown which is convenient. Once your in the company it's easy to move around.

Pros

Good Pay

Cons

Long Hours

Productive and collaborative

Productive and collaborative. It is a multi-disclipinary team where we are regular team meetings that is both clinical and productive. We are client-centred and holistic in nature.

the needs of the org reign supreme

Get ready to be a member of Canada's largest spin machine. Sure they get all the money, but the org values it's image more than the needs of its clients. As a clinician, you'll be responsible for protecting the illusion that this place is anything more than a vehicle for psychopharmacology and it's academic interests. non-medical staff can be placated for years with ceremonial activities that seem to function as a means to allow people to pretend they provide a range of services. Be prepared to join the ranks of the most professionally unsatisfying culture. When you're not bogged down by administrative tasks you'll have a little time left over to meet clients and manage their expectations of actually receiving a helpful Mental Health service.

n/a

I entered data and analysed data and consolidated patient documentation. I organised files, collected consent forms and did other various administrative tasks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement