Central City Brewers and Distillers

Central City Brewers and Distillers Employee Reviews

Canada19 reviews
Poor management contaminates every level of the organization from the top. There is no training whatsoever and no OT pay. Night shift doesn’t get extra compensation. Salary progression does not happen as predicted on employee handbook. Poor maintenance schedule allows machines to be constantly breaking down
Pros
Good co-workers, free beer
Cons
No training, no salary progression, no OT pay
Initially hired as electrical apprentice, but never did any electrical work. Electrician on staff was always "too busy" with other tasks to train me in anything.

I was expected to do all other work: run boiler (fortunately I had 4th class power engineering); welding (zero experience); repair machinery (zero access to technical manuals, because it was "confidential" until I passed probation; and work on production line when not busy.

This company enjoys violating numerous laws! Upon burning myself on steam pipe, I was told "it's part of the job;" they did not want to put in insulation. I was also expected to give free overtime on weekends to supervise construction crews (I never volunteered for this.)

Stingy company tried to demand I change my mobile phone number to a Vancouver-area number, because I was expected to make my personal mobile phone available for company purposes. They only paid me $45,000 per year, which is NOT a livable wage in the BC Lower Mainland!
Pros
Free beer
Cons
No safety; slave drivers; violate HSE & labour laws; extremely stingy; liars
Managers are not managers they are micro managed by selected few people from the owner to directors. If you follow direction from the top and things go wrong it is still your fault. No sense of accountability.

A lot of coworkers termination without cause. Avoid if you can.

Management team should stop trying to obtain unreasonable results when the team is constantly being terminated
Pros
Monthly allocation of product
Cons
Micro managed, no sense of accountability
This Brewery is lacking a sense of direction and is old news. There is a band aid approach to the company where it's okay to just look past any issues. No communication from management to employees, and management sits very much in a hierarchy and turn over staff whenever they want.

No direction and poor management is the biggest issue and no one is willing to listen to what's happening on the streets.
Management is not in control of inventory, and were constantly running out of materials, causing down time. High staff turnover due to lack of training given to employees. There is no community atmosphere at Central City either, and as a result there is a lack of moral among staff. It has a great potential, however, and hopefully things improve.
Great staff, learned basics of serving duties. Customers on the low-end of the income scale, tend to prefer female serving staff. Shifts based on skill.
What a cool place to work. Top of the line canning facility run by people who know what they're doing and are willing to teach their knowledge to others.
Pros
Work Indoors
Cons
Clean Facility, Great Management and Co-Workers
The work environment is fun as are the co-workers. Very limited options for advancement within the company. Limited benefits as well as limited management
Pros
Free beers
Cons
Poor management
Cutting so many corners the facility should be a perfect circle. Poor morale starting from the top down. Frustration at every level. A fine starter job.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Central City Brewers and Distillers?
My day would consist of making different kinds of salads along with different types of dressings. I would also do the preparation for the saladstation
Central City is a rapidly growing and expanding brewery, distillery and brewpub company.

The company has been managing its transition from a small brewery and brewpub to a medium sized brewing and distilling corporation. The transition has been difficult but they have good managers in place to help the company become more efficient and profitable.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the brewers and packaging personnel. Everyone worked hard and communicated well.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
Shift work
Opportunity for growth within a growing company. Innovation drives everyone forward and can be stressful at times but amazing to see the results at the end. Work hard and you will be rewarded.
Pros
Beer, coffee, people
Supervisor is a whiny and nosey person bordering to harassment and easily blames you for things you never actually have done and never bothers to apologize. Very unprofessional.
Pros
free beers, free coffee
Cons
no pay for over time. low salary.
many shifts available to accommodate different people with their schedules.
lively and positive environment

good communication through out front and kitchen staff-

it was a great feeling knowing you can move up in positions , manager etc.
i really liked working a Central. Tips were good. food was great but a little pricey and not to much of options. clients were friendly and sometimes very demanding
Pros
half price food
Cons
huge bar for only one person
A business that is growing far beyond their scope. Still a bit disorganized but trying its best to become a solid business.
Overall a great place to work, and learn lots, but the Upper Management is having an Identity crisis with the restaurants at the moment, and it makes it rather challenging to work here sometimes.
Pros
Free meal, awesome team in the kitchen
Cons
Long Hours
fun work but you won't know for sure if you'll have work the next day.
the work will never be set for fulltime so you cant see any future in it.
daytime mainly bartending . customer service, inventory intake and counting . goood staff and management .
Pros
the people