Central 1 Credit Union

Poor
Poor leadership
Poor culture

Poor direction

Work life balance is ok as there is no accountability or responsibility

Poor advancement

Poor vision

Lack of integrity
Avoid at all costs
Morale is so low at this company. Incompetent chapter leads and senior developers, developers are under paid, way too many meetings, management has no idea what they're doing, they expect overtime on a moments notice. Turnover is so high that's why they're always hiring.
Avoid avoid avoid
Central 1
Compensation is not competitive when compared to similar roles at other institutions. The potential range for variable comp is very narrow. This is little monetary reward for high performers.
Productive environment
good company, work is very busy hard to find time to take breaks.
it is very far from my house takes away three hours each day from my day, which mean I can't get quality time with family.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
far from home
Not an exciting place to work. Compensation below industry standards.
Management needs to get better. Operations need to get smoother and product team needs to take more ownership. Development team needs to improve their work.
Pros
7 hours work day
Cons
Low Compensation. Hap hazard working within the organization.
Squandered potential
While it seems like a place that may once have had excellent culture, C1 has fallen prey to the classic problem of treating I.T. as if it's a pure money sink. Talent is not retained and there appears to be no will to do so. Mentorship and opportunity for advancement appeared to be there when I began but then management churn saw those evaporate.

Benefits are very good but this simply can't make up for the stagnant atmosphere and widespread cynicism.
Terrible interviewing skills
Wasted three weeks to get to final round and they rejected me - thanks to the Client Imolenntstion Heads interviewing skills (trust me they were terrible)
They repaired the role - which means probably 3 candidates who made to Final round after hurdling through three long weeks and two previous interview rounds were not liked by Hiring Manager sitting In Vancouver

Reason - because when I was interviewed for final round at their Missisauga office in a super warm office of a Sales support lead (who had no IT or any role relevant experience) that made me swear with Skype for business giving so many errors and echoing that restrained me and my extrovert skills to be displayed and crack the final round

Very Disappointed!!!!
Pros
No pros
Cons
Terrible Interviewing skills of newly hired Managers in Vancouver
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Central 1 Credit Union?
Smart employees, bad management
It's a good place for junior developers as they can learn a lot from their senior colleagues. However, the management has only faith in a couple of their staff and not willing to consider other staff's opinion. Except for the ones that have been involved in decisions, other developers won't last there long. The salary and benefit is way lower than market.
Pros
Agile environments that embraces changes
Cons
Lack of trust in employees. Bad management, specially upper management.
Nice Environment
Good culture, nice to be associated with credit unions. The company is now based on out Vancouver. Previously Head Office was in Toronto now with the merger with Vancouver, many of the job opportunities are based there.
Awesome place to work!
I had a short contract with Central 1 as a web developer. I met awesome people, and worked on complex projects. Would work there again in a heartbeat.
Pros
On-site cafeteria, downtown location, amazing people.
Cons
none!
Good work life balance, dont expect growth, structure or a Financial Institution mindset
Organization seems confused whether it is a technology or financial company. Translates directly into the lack of culture around risk management, accountability and ownership.

If you are a high performer who likes to get things done, do not join!!
Pros
Great Benefits!!
Cons
Lack of strategy and leadership. Reactive.
Good place to learn and explore
Many implementation projects. Can get great exposure to some good tools/techniques
There is a strong focus on work life balance

You work with some surprisingly smart people
Good work life balance but very boring and lots of egos
I worked there for 3 years, i liked the location as well as the flexible hours and work life balance.
However they are all about collective collaboration however they are so fast to point fingers at one another, so many egos, and passive aggressive attitudes. Depending on your department and manager there is no support or growth, i applied so many times to move internally and never got any interviews or opportunities for growth yet some people during my 3 years got promoted more than one time.

The pay grades really doesn't help as the people that make more than you definitely act above most people there.

I it was a good experience but would not want to work there long term.
Pros
gym on site
Cons
Bad Management and attitudes
Productive and busy environment
Productive and busy environment. Need to be flexible and willing to extend extra mile with regards to your work. The company provides great benefits to it's employees.
Good Experience
Credit unions have to work with less to compete, so you are exposed to a wide variety of work. They emphasize a 'lean' culture and provide training to all employees to get exposure to lean and how it can benefit your group/department
Intresting work but slow to adopt with current trends
The work can boring or interesting, depending on the team you are on. However, current, management is slow to respond to feedback or even at all, changes take time. Depending on the team, you can be given alot of freedom to implement something new and work on exciting projects. Friendly people (mostly).
Pros
Cookie Time (Once a month-ish), short hours 35h week
Tech department poorly run
Management is an impediment, and covers up their incompetence by scapegoating employees.
Many easily threatened insecure middle managers.

Dead end for anyone with too much ambition

35 hour work week, and some friendly colleagues are its only saving grace.

Culture of obedience. Dont ask too many questions outside of your very rigid role if you want to get ahead here.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Management are prohibitively incompetent
Standard government like organization
The work environment was very 9-5 which is nice, but I never spotted an interesting project while working there.
There are many opportunities for climbing the corporate ladder.

It also seemed like a very stable place for tech professionals and gave really good benefits to the more senior employees.
Pros
stable with good benefits
Cons
boring
Cookie day every month
It was a great place to work, friendly people and good management.
Courses available and smart people to help you advance in your career.

They have frequent fun events, BBQs and Cookie days
Friendly ans Supportive Environment
I worked in the Risk Management department for a year. The people were very friendly and supportive. My understanding is that though all organizations want to employ highly skilled people, Central 1 places alot of weight on personalities that will fit into its current culture. For example traits where people are willing to learn, stay engaged and add to the supportive and friendly corporate culture.
Pros
Group activities
Cons
Location can be far if you are commuting from the suburbs by public transportation