Centerplate

Centerplate Employee Reviews

Found 69 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,519 reviews

no support

forget about the national team having any time for you - we were feeling insignificant and isolated. teammates were constantly put off or referred to other departments and good luck trying to connect

benefits

Cons

no work/life balance

Productive and fast pace. Excellent work exprience

I enjoy working for center plate. I have learnt new things.I get along with other employees. Hard work but enjoyable.They do care about their employees.

Pros

Does provide one meal a day. A couple breaks.

A fun place to work

It is a very enjoyable place to work especially if you are a hockey fan. Shifts are never too long, usually about 4.5 hours, but can vary depending on the event, as it is not always hockey. Multiple places you can work within the building, such as popcorn, or bartending. You rely heavily on tips as minimum wage and short shifts aren't a good combo. You get the whole month's schedule all at once. It is a perfect place to work for someone who's in school or who's looking for a second job to supplement their full time work.

Great people to work for

Great place to work for but lifting is necessary and the pay could be better. Other than that it's like a big family. Management is great and the hours are amazing

Terrible management, no training

I was expected how to do everything on my first day with NO training whatsoever, got yelled at by a supervisor for simply asking a question, and got scolded for taking too long of a break (we’re given 15 minutes, i was about 5 minutes in). It says $13-16 which is false (in Winnipeg at least). You get minimum wage when you should get way more for the amount of work you do and everything you put up with from management

Great place to work. Friendly environment and it is fast paced at times but also relaxed during others. Great second job or retirement job. Good way to see the events while working as well

It had a very relaxed environment

Centerplate was an amazing place to work. I think their goal was to bring this company to St John's because they have companies all across North America and wanted to expand and let it be noticed to newfoundlanders and toursits how amazing their food is and how greatful the staff are to be able to represent Centerplate in St Johns NL.

Enjoyable

It's a great place to work in the evenings. It has very flexible hours. You get tips. You can advance in positions. Management in great there. I would recommend.

Not enough hours

Lots of walking and standing. Not enough hours of work. Can't feed a family working only 3 days in 2 weeks. Get to meet some cool people and see some cool stuff.

Great place!!

Loved it! Worked there for 10 years but moved to a different city and had to say good bye. All of the staff were wonderful and was a once in a lifetime opportunity

poor pay

fun job and great work environment however not very good pay for the amount of work I do. basically have had to micro manage my peers, and have not received a pay raise. I have learnt to work better and stress less in a high paced environment. I have learnt really how important a team environment is and how to properly rely on my coworkers. I love the people I work with very much. however, since I have been there (almost 5 seasons) we have lost 6 managers and maybe more

Centerplate is a catering company

Centerplate is a well organized and comfortable place to work..the environment and people.make the place like a family owned company and I would definitely.recommend it to anyone I know

fast paced

A fast paced environment makes for loving the breaks you had while enjoying talking with co workers and making lots of tips on the side. great if youre a wpg jets lover.

Pros

free food when the customer doesnt want it

Cons

unorganized

Ideal place to work, great people and great work environment. Pleasure working there as a team to get the job done. Still working there during events and enjoy it.

There are good things and bad.

Some shifts I do enjoy, others I really hate. It all depends on the people you are placed with in your booth, as many of the employees are teenagers who fool around, socialize etc. and can make working basically impossible. Yet there are also many employees who are great people who I really enjoy working with and can make a shift.

Pros

Short hours

Cons

Rude peers

Good working environment

The company allows us to preform to the best of our abilities, it has a steady pay as we work through the year, which is why I would love the opportunity to do this apprenticeship

Lots of working opportunity through hockey season

Good seasonal job, lots of hours. Big crew, lots of work that needs doing, workplace culture is lacking, hardest part of the job is dealing with your coworkers.

Pros

Free dinner

Very boring workplace

there is absolutely no room to climb the company ladder. No matter what you're always replaceable to them. No regular life outside of working here.they send you home after a couple hours so on the weekends it don't add up to overtime.

Pros

Free LEFTOVER food

Cons

Work 7 days a week not full time so the weekends are not overtime.

Couldn't get more than 20 hours a week

Other people were getting over 60 hours a week. I was begging to get more than 3 days, I ended up quitting to work another job so I could pay my bills. They came in and too over our kitchen at the local Sports arena, I was 40 hours a week before they came in, after they came in I was less than 20, they've ruined the kitchen's reputation for quality and quantity buffets, more often than not they will run out of food during an event, and then blame the staff, who were just following the managers directions, while the manager washes his hands of any wrongdoings. They also changed the quality of the meat we served and attempted to introduce a new fancy menu even after being told the people in this area want roast beef on a bun, not some fancy thing that takes up 1/4 of the plate and doesn't fill you up. This company is going to sink the kitchen they took over in my city.

Ok part time job

Hours are good in season otherwise not great. Commission is good though when working. Unfortunately the company favours employees through much nepotism. hard to move up in the company and get adequate shifts sometimes because of this. Cuts off a lot of opportunities for progression.

Pros

Half off some products

Cons

Nepotism

Decent Job

I worked for Centreplate for 2 hockey seasons. I only worked Jets Games. The first season I was there was really enjoyable. You bring food to people in their seats and get decent tips after each game. It was a fun and chill job. The second season I was there was after Bell bought MTS. Everything changed. the job got super strict and had a lot of new rules and management in place. It took the fun out of the job and lots of people quit after. I didn't last half of that season, it was awful. All in all, the job is pretty simple once you're familiar with your seat sections. (Drunk) customers can be annoying but you get to attend each Jets game for free basically and can easily get free food (in a sneaky sense).

Pros

Free Jets game, free food

Cons

Super strict, get written up for anything, new system is unorganized

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Centerplate. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement