Cenovus Energy

Cenovus Energy Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
4.0Pay & benefits

Great Company

I worked for Cenovus up to the Oil & Gas recession of 2015. During the boom times this was a very good company to work for; the culture was great, the pay high, and the benefits generous. However, I don't know how things re now, I have heard that they may have changed somewhat, but that is to be expected.

All bosses...No Leaders

Good pay and benefits. The culture is good with people on your own level but Supervidors are all appointed by friends so there are mostly supervisors with very little management and leadership skills. It's hard to get behind the arrogance of the bosses who specialize in learning acronyms and trying to sound like big shots. Remember this is an oil company and is run by a bunch of roughneck type people. They know how to talk and always act like they are the smartest people in the room.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Poor management, constant reorganization and layoffs, arrogance in supervisors

Don't go there

What I thought was a well run Canadian company turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments of my career. It was pretty much complete chaos from Day 1 and it never got better. My co-workers were great, management absolutely sucked.

Pros

Fair pay, good vacation and benefits

Cons

Terrible culture, no direction and job security non-existent

Good coworkers

Terrible management, low morale. Stressful as there always seems to be layoffs looming. No decent bonus unless you are good friends with managers and leads

Pros

Pay

Can Never Trust Management here

Management is an old boys club, and you had better be a young person with an engineering degree. All others have no value to this company, and be damned if you are older, because they will get rid of you as soon as they get an opportunity. They have great assets, just zero business sense! There is no rhyme or reason for having so many EVP's and VP's in a company as small as this, but it is all about title for most of these people. One didn't even graduate high school and is now an EVP. Explain that to your shareholders!!!

Pros

Good Salary

Cons

Remote location, no value on workers, very age discriminatory.

Terrible Management with no vision

I worked for them at their Foster Creek facility. The middle management is clue less and do not have any industrial experience. They hold grudges. They make your life miserable if you do not follow their pàrtyline. They were not fair in settling my dues when we parted. The legal battle is going on for more than 8 years now.

Pros

Generous pay and benefits

Cons

Terrible management and work culture

Lack of communication

Higher ups do not communicate effectively, it’s very slow and boring to work here. Administrative duties are easy and quick to do, no chance for raises or to move up really.

Good place to work at

My shift had a good group of guys and we all got along. It was safe place to work as they took safety seriously. Though i wanted to change shifts or move to another location they would not allow me and this hurt my home life as I didn't get to see my other half of my family and would not accommodate. I learned lots and got to work on all kinds of equipment and learned lots while i was there and got to work in all sections of the plant including off-sites. The pay was very competitive and benefits were excellent.

Excellent Company

Excellent company to work for in my experience. Pay was great, Living allowance made it worth while and 7/7 Shifts made for an excellent work-life balance. Training is exceptional, and everything was provided by the company. I should mention I was only there for a short period during my college steam time practicum, so I worked for Bowen Workplace Solutions contracted out to Cenovus Energy. My time there was nothing short of exceptional. One of the best companies I've worked with!

Toxic

It's like Jurassic Park,, first it's oooh and aasha,, then it's running and screaming. If you're an employee got it made. But if you're an independent contractor you get treated like cannon fodder

Pros

Decent wage if you like to running your business as a contractor

Cons

One mistake and you're gone. Lots of backstabbing. No benefits as a contractor

Jobs at Cenovus Energy

See more jobs

Nice place to work

I worked with some very nice Fly in Fly out was provided. I'm not sure now. The shift was 7/7 and camp accommodations were provided. Food was good! There was a gym on site as well.

Do not work for these clowns

Decent camp with decent food, but you will have ZERO rights while you are there. Security will follow you offsite after your shift to spy on you. One beer with dinner in Conklin after your shift is all it takes to get fired and banned. The only reason they get away with it is because it's not worth the money it would take to sue

Oil and Gas Integrated Energy Company in Alberta

This company has 2 major heavy oil assets and one conventional asset in Alberta, which headquartered in Calgary, AB. Good work ethics and clear company vison and guidelines, good overall compensation package and over 3000 staffs, good cultures but currently impacted by low commodity pricing and bad economics, so it had been gone through some layoffs which affects workplace atmospheres and staff loyalty. Otherwise, it is a pretty good company to work for.

Great to work for 12yrs

Employees truly came first with Cenovus. Their benefits and salaries were top amongst industry. Safety was a core value and was demonstrated daily. Top notch company.

great place to work great pay

great place to work great pay paid fights , good people to work with you can lean a lot in the oil and gas industry , camp living provided !!!!!!!!!!1

Good place to work for during the good times

Great benefits and had a great boss but during the downturn everyone around me got let go and I was sold off with the old conventional assets to my current job.

Pros

Days Off, Total compensation

Cons

Ongoing Politics

A potentially great company limited by poor leadership

Cenovus has a lot going for it: good assets, good work, some good people in the working ranks. But this organization is fundamentally limited by the leadership and resulting culture. The culture is highly political and borderline toxic. This is not a meritocracy or an organization driven by normal rules of business. Leaders are chosen based on politic connections and how loudly they talk over their peers. Unqualified leaders routinely use fear and intimidation to support their status, instead of excellence and results. Not a good place for a career unless you like to work inside a house of cards type environment.

Pros

Good pay / benefits

Cons

Toxic work environment

Productive and educational place of employment

Work expectations were fair and achieveable. Hours were good and pay was excellent. Accomodations were first rate and food was excellent. Management was a little light on communication but their work load was much higher than the rest of us.

Pros

Great work environment

Cons

communication

Great employees, poor management

Great employees, poor management. No developmental or career growth opportunities. Zero collaboration between teams, very poor direction from management, priorities change daily.

Pros

Colleagues, benefits, pay, work/life balance

Cons

Management, no developmental/career growth opportunities, lack of direction

Oil & Gas company

Fly-In position in northern Alberta. The company was very forward thinking with its maintenance philosophy but as the industry crunch came this philosophy changed fairly quickly. Many good positions were eliminated and the push to save money caused many problems with ongoing projects and diminished safety overall.

Pros

Camp facilities were fantastic. High pay and good benefits.

Cons

Changes in industry caused a huge dip in morale.

It's a job

It's job and pays the bills. Managements outlook is unrealistic and you can not say anything about it, in fear you will lose your job. They think they can fix the morale but it is to late.

Pros

Salary, vacation days

Cons

Long hours, little recognition for hard work, no room for advancement or development. I would suggest avoiding this place unless you need a job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cenovus Energy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement