Cenovus Energy

Cenovus Energy Job security & advancement reviews

Clear
2.9Job security & advancement

Great company to work for!!

This company set the precedence for others to follow!Cenovus did take great care of their employees and it was appreciated. The best part was working in a group of SME's that acted like a team. This is to this day the highlight of my career. Could you image having a work environment where ego's were in check and everyone on the team look after each other?! Great times!Cenovus was a great company to work for and if I ever had the opportunity to back there again, I would accept it in a heart beat

Pros

Great company feel! Having every second Friday off helps having that work/life balance.

Cons

Long hours and high work loads.

Challenging and fulfilling

I would go back in a heartbeat. The 5 years I spent there were the most productive and profitable of my career. I learned a lot about people and how to handle difficult situations ethically, and productively.

Pros

Great pay

Awful place to work

This is the sixth year of constant layoffs. Management is only out for themselves. Low level managers use you to their benefit and then discard you the minute you are not needed by them to further their career. It is a culture of fear and intimidation. The threat of losing your job is held above your head every day and used to get you to put safety aside multiple times a day. Don’t jeopardize your mental health by taken a job here.

Don't go there

What I thought was a well run Canadian company turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments of my career. It was pretty much complete chaos from Day 1 and it never got better. My co-workers were great, management absolutely sucked.

Pros

Fair pay, good vacation and benefits

Cons

Terrible culture, no direction and job security non-existent

Far too much useless mid management

Mismanagement from top to bottom, was a total buddy pal system of promotion never about qualification as ops management were former ops they very protectionist and kept those with any brains far away from any threat of their jobs and hire the guy that suckholes to them

Pros

Fair pay steady work

Cons

Management a trainwreck

Development is terrible

They agreed to a development plan and I went to the field. Nine months later supervisor changed and I was laid off. Company performs terribly and it shows in the share price.

I enjoyed my work at Cenovus, great coworkers

Too many chiefs in the department I worked in. The workload could have been handled by way less staff and lack of hands on training. Manager had ZERO drilling knowledge so it's hard to follow someone that didnt have a working knowledge of the work we did. That's the culture of O&G it seems...hire your friends mentality over someone properly qualified. Oh well, I did have some excellent coworkers that I have friendships with today and I did have the opportunity to learn but not grow and move forward.

Pros

Flex days, bonuses, flexible work schedule

Cons

Too many staff so workload was not enough for a fast paced productive employee

Great place to work. Lots of job insecurity though

Cenovus was a great place to work. I hope I can return to it soon. The staff is great and really caring about each other. There were tons of opportunities to work on some interesting projects and try on some new hats.

Pros

Lots of lunch and learns, great staff

Cons

Because of the 2018 layoffs there was a lot of job insecurity

Lack of communication

Higher ups do not communicate effectively, it’s very slow and boring to work here. Administrative duties are easy and quick to do, no chance for raises or to move up really.

Good place to work and I enjoyed my time there.

Good place to work. Management was trusted their work staff,so I was free to do my job without being micromanaged. My experience was excellent and recommended them as an employer.

Jobs at Cenovus Energy

See more jobs

Friendly and supportive

Great work ethics from all co-workers. Opportunities to learn new skills and wide variety of tasks. Weekly and monthly inservice sessions to keep up to date on new information and seasonal requirements.

This is second time around for survey.get it together indeed

Was years ago.please update imdeed.i have done this couple years ago but keeps coming up.so please fix your data.very annoying to keepgetting this outdated info

Productive and supportive environment

Work load was good, many opportunities to learn new skills, training opportunities were really good. Workplace had a positive culture, very supportive of each other.

Good work life balance

Good work life balance, Friendly co workers. Excellent and helpful camp employee's and management. Excellent kitchen staff that are always friendly and helpful

Excellent Company

Excellent company to work for in my experience. Pay was great, Living allowance made it worth while and 7/7 Shifts made for an excellent work-life balance. Training is exceptional, and everything was provided by the company. I should mention I was only there for a short period during my college steam time practicum, so I worked for Bowen Workplace Solutions contracted out to Cenovus Energy. My time there was nothing short of exceptional. One of the best companies I've worked with!

Great place to work, Results Oriented, Team environment

Good culture, great colleagues, challenging, good management, strong team environment but need self-drive. compensated for performance. good work/life balance

Good camp, professional staff, open to improvements

Overall, a typical day at work, was positive and allowed room for improvement.There was always opportunity for growth. Management was open and receptive to new methods or processes which improved the work environment. The most difficult part of the job involved incontrollable elements - global economics. This said, the environment did its' best to keep the work place as positive as possible.

Productive and fun workplace - Challenging

Challenging, great team work, good pay. Wish I could have had a position in town rather than camp. That is the only reason I left. Camp was very nice, food was great!

Working from the start

Worked on the launch of the company, had great vision, execution was a challenge that they addressed daily. Great people, the leadership team that I worked with was world class and sought to do things the best way, potentially a different way than had "always" been done before.

Great company culture

Company culture pays attention to well-being of employees including its surrounding community as evident from its work-life balance policy, increase in company's benefit offering to support employees' mental health and how the company gives back to its community (e.g. provides opportunity for employees to volunteer and support non-profit organization, support to Calgary Stampede Family Breakfast, etc.)

Difficult culture to navigate, and poor training

I found the work good, the wage was fair, and the people friendly, but the people had formed cliques and kept you on the outside. They were friendly, but not inclusive. Training was very disjointed. Nobody really wanted to take charge of it, and a lot of the onus was left on the hire to figure it out. Most of this issue I believe was because of the downturn and structure changes. All in all, it was a good place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cenovus Energy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement