Cenovus Energy

Cenovus Energy Culture reviews

Clear

I enjoyed my work at Cenovus, great coworkers

Too many chiefs in the department I worked in. The workload could have been handled by way less staff and lack of hands on training. Manager had ZERO drilling knowledge so it's hard to follow someone that didnt have a working knowledge of the work we did. That's the culture of O&G it seems...hire your friends mentality over someone properly qualified. Oh well, I did have some excellent coworkers that I have friendships with today and I did have the opportunity to learn but not grow and move forward.

Pros

Flex days, bonuses, flexible work schedule

Cons

Too many staff so workload was not enough for a fast paced productive employee

All bosses...No Leaders

Good pay and benefits. The culture is good with people on your own level but Supervidors are all appointed by friends so there are mostly supervisors with very little management and leadership skills. It's hard to get behind the arrogance of the bosses who specialize in learning acronyms and trying to sound like big shots. Remember this is an oil company and is run by a bunch of roughneck type people. They know how to talk and always act like they are the smartest people in the room.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Poor management, constant reorganization and layoffs, arrogance in supervisors

Awful place to work

This is the sixth year of constant layoffs. Management is only out for themselves. Low level managers use you to their benefit and then discard you the minute you are not needed by them to further their career. It is a culture of fear and intimidation. The threat of losing your job is held above your head every day and used to get you to put safety aside multiple times a day. Don’t jeopardize your mental health by taken a job here.

Don't go there

What I thought was a well run Canadian company turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments of my career. It was pretty much complete chaos from Day 1 and it never got better. My co-workers were great, management absolutely sucked.

Pros

Fair pay, good vacation and benefits

Cons

Terrible culture, no direction and job security non-existent

Terrible Management with no vision

I worked for them at their Foster Creek facility. The middle management is clue less and do not have any industrial experience. They hold grudges. They make your life miserable if you do not follow their pàrtyline. They were not fair in settling my dues when we parted. The legal battle is going on for more than 8 years now.

Pros

Generous pay and benefits

Cons

Terrible management and work culture

Great teams, leadership not so great

Leadership can't be spineless, issues have to be dealt with or the whole team is let down, Not impressive to see your VP bashing someone behind their back instead of actually handling the issue.

Pros

Lots of pros, the corporate culture was very nice, celebrating all holidays generously

Cons

Instead of hiring the best person for the job they hire a lot of friends and family, even in VP roles, making it extremely noticeable when they don't have the skills, or are extremely lazy and using the company for their own gain, It was very demoralizing to see so much of that, I started asking everyone how they got in, almost everyone knew somebody.

Great place to work. Lots of job insecurity though

Cenovus was a great place to work. I hope I can return to it soon. The staff is great and really caring about each other. There were tons of opportunities to work on some interesting projects and try on some new hats.

Pros

Lots of lunch and learns, great staff

Cons

Because of the 2018 layoffs there was a lot of job insecurity

Great Company

I worked for Cenovus up to the Oil & Gas recession of 2015. During the boom times this was a very good company to work for; the culture was great, the pay high, and the benefits generous. However, I don't know how things re now, I have heard that they may have changed somewhat, but that is to be expected.

Good place to work at

My shift had a good group of guys and we all got along. It was safe place to work as they took safety seriously. Though i wanted to change shifts or move to another location they would not allow me and this hurt my home life as I didn't get to see my other half of my family and would not accommodate. I learned lots and got to work on all kinds of equipment and learned lots while i was there and got to work in all sections of the plant including off-sites. The pay was very competitive and benefits were excellent.

Good Opportunity but a mid-management misfit for the IT Architecture leadership....

Line Management (Team Lead) of my team was brilliant and farsighted. However the Architecture Group Manager was under-par and therefore was an obstacle to visionary progress that readily supports the management of objective of the Digital Oil Field. Work became counter-productive with creative staff was viewed with suspicion and forced out; but opportunism that supported this manager was allowed to flourish.

Jobs at Cenovus Energy

See more jobs

Productive and supportive environment

Work load was good, many opportunities to learn new skills, training opportunities were really good. Workplace had a positive culture, very supportive of each other.

Productive team players

awesome company to work for . Stay for over a year. I enjoyed a team effort protecting the building and in the control room. I worked as a team player and fun

Good work life balance

Good work life balance, Friendly co workers. Excellent and helpful camp employee's and management. Excellent kitchen staff that are always friendly and helpful

leadership culture creates dissent and unrest among workers

There is a disconnect between supervisors, management and workers. The work itself is great and the people are fantastic, the culture within management and the focus on productivity and revenue versus people is apparent despite consistent lip-service regarding safety. The leadership team has acknowledged this disconnect and is attempting to find better ways of managing. I hope they do, for future workers' sakes.

Great place to work, Results Oriented, Team environment

Good culture, great colleagues, challenging, good management, strong team environment but need self-drive. compensated for performance. good work/life balance

Not the worst place! Has some issues though.

One of the better SAGD places to get a job in Alberta for operations and maintenance. It has a very loose culture where workers and management do and say as they please. This is fun but leads to its own issues. Where complaints can be made and investigating happens which results in terminations. Multiple people terminated over the years for just engaging in the accepted culture and dialogue. They Pay well but being promoted is difficult due to a low amount of turnover in management positions. It is a good place to work though, with nice facilities while your in camp. Week in, Week out and hubs are flying out of YYC & YEG.

Excellent safety culture a very responsible employer.

Great company to work for very respectful to their workers they have awesome training very respectful towards the environment was one of the best companies I ever worked for. Not a day went byWhen I feel I didn’t have support the team was always available to help we all pitched in from when camp manager to the next camaraderie was fantastic

Pros

Great job and great pay and good people

Cons

Not enough time for developing concrete work relationships with contractors

Great company to work for

With the new C-level executive team, cenovus has significantly improved the culture. It has invested in leadership training, and employee well being..

Pros

Training, transparency

Great company culture

Company culture pays attention to well-being of employees including its surrounding community as evident from its work-life balance policy, increase in company's benefit offering to support employees' mental health and how the company gives back to its community (e.g. provides opportunity for employees to volunteer and support non-profit organization, support to Calgary Stampede Family Breakfast, etc.)

Awesome company

Awesome company. Collaborative and engaging workplace. I really enjoy my co-workers and diversity of job duties. This is a great place to be but I am looking to expand my experiences.

Pros

Awesome company

Oil and Gas Integrated Energy Company in Alberta

This company has 2 major heavy oil assets and one conventional asset in Alberta, which headquartered in Calgary, AB. Good work ethics and clear company vison and guidelines, good overall compensation package and over 3000 staffs, good cultures but currently impacted by low commodity pricing and bad economics, so it had been gone through some layoffs which affects workplace atmospheres and staff loyalty. Otherwise, it is a pretty good company to work for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cenovus Energy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement