Cenovus Energy

Cenovus Energy Employee Reviews

Great company to work for!!

This company set the precedence for others to follow!Cenovus did take great care of their employees and it was appreciated. The best part was working in a group of SME's that acted like a team. This is to this day the highlight of my career. Could you image having a work environment where ego's were in check and everyone on the team look after each other?! Great times!Cenovus was a great company to work for and if I ever had the opportunity to back there again, I would accept it in a heart beat

Pros

Great company feel! Having every second Friday off helps having that work/life balance.

Cons

Long hours and high work loads.

a lot of horrasments

rood environment with arrogant people, poor safety, poor communication, bulling coworkers, not well educated management with low experience and skills

Pros

nil

Cons

too many

Challenging and fulfilling

I would go back in a heartbeat. The 5 years I spent there were the most productive and profitable of my career. I learned a lot about people and how to handle difficult situations ethically, and productively.

Pros

Great pay

All bosses...No Leaders

Good pay and benefits. The culture is good with people on your own level but Supervidors are all appointed by friends so there are mostly supervisors with very little management and leadership skills. It's hard to get behind the arrogance of the bosses who specialize in learning acronyms and trying to sound like big shots. Remember this is an oil company and is run by a bunch of roughneck type people. They know how to talk and always act like they are the smartest people in the room.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Poor management, constant reorganization and layoffs, arrogance in supervisors

Awful place to work

This is the sixth year of constant layoffs. Management is only out for themselves. Low level managers use you to their benefit and then discard you the minute you are not needed by them to further their career. It is a culture of fear and intimidation. The threat of losing your job is held above your head every day and used to get you to put safety aside multiple times a day. Don’t jeopardize your mental health by taken a job here.

Toxic environment.

At one time a great company but that has been strongly diminished by poor management and bad A&D decisions. Obviously, the Markets recognized what a bad decision they made with the ConocoPhillips Assets but the Management at the time thought differently.

Pros

Brookfield Place is a nice office space

Don't go there

What I thought was a well run Canadian company turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments of my career. It was pretty much complete chaos from Day 1 and it never got better. My co-workers were great, management absolutely sucked.

Pros

Fair pay, good vacation and benefits

Cons

Terrible culture, no direction and job security non-existent

Had great experience working there , crew and immediate bosses and management were awesome, upper management was very disconnected and always worried more about budgets than actually taking care of their workers and their equipment. Management you always felt like a number .

Pros

Great camp food, accommodations, camp staff

Cons

Coworkers are nice and helpful, but management is extremely poor

Not a bad place to work to make a living, but the management is so poor, so not recommended for friends to work there! They spend too much time and energy on the so called safety meetings and morning huddles!

Pros

Free lunched and camp

Cons

Feeling of isolation

Good coworkers

Terrible management, low morale. Stressful as there always seems to be layoffs looming. No decent bonus unless you are good friends with managers and leads

Pros

Pay

Jobs at Cenovus Energy

See more jobs

Far too much useless mid management

Mismanagement from top to bottom, was a total buddy pal system of promotion never about qualification as ops management were former ops they very protectionist and kept those with any brains far away from any threat of their jobs and hire the guy that suckholes to them

Pros

Fair pay steady work

Cons

Management a trainwreck

Can Never Trust Management here

Management is an old boys club, and you had better be a young person with an engineering degree. All others have no value to this company, and be damned if you are older, because they will get rid of you as soon as they get an opportunity. They have great assets, just zero business sense! There is no rhyme or reason for having so many EVP's and VP's in a company as small as this, but it is all about title for most of these people. One didn't even graduate high school and is now an EVP. Explain that to your shareholders!!!

Pros

Good Salary

Cons

Remote location, no value on workers, very age discriminatory.

Terrible Management with no vision

I worked for them at their Foster Creek facility. The middle management is clue less and do not have any industrial experience. They hold grudges. They make your life miserable if you do not follow their pàrtyline. They were not fair in settling my dues when we parted. The legal battle is going on for more than 8 years now.

Pros

Generous pay and benefits

Cons

Terrible management and work culture

Great teams, leadership not so great

Leadership can't be spineless, issues have to be dealt with or the whole team is let down, Not impressive to see your VP bashing someone behind their back instead of actually handling the issue.

Pros

Lots of pros, the corporate culture was very nice, celebrating all holidays generously

Cons

Instead of hiring the best person for the job they hire a lot of friends and family, even in VP roles, making it extremely noticeable when they don't have the skills, or are extremely lazy and using the company for their own gain, It was very demoralizing to see so much of that, I started asking everyone how they got in, almost everyone knew somebody.

Development is terrible

They agreed to a development plan and I went to the field. Nine months later supervisor changed and I was laid off. Company performs terribly and it shows in the share price.

I enjoyed my work at Cenovus, great coworkers

Too many chiefs in the department I worked in. The workload could have been handled by way less staff and lack of hands on training. Manager had ZERO drilling knowledge so it's hard to follow someone that didnt have a working knowledge of the work we did. That's the culture of O&G it seems...hire your friends mentality over someone properly qualified. Oh well, I did have some excellent coworkers that I have friendships with today and I did have the opportunity to learn but not grow and move forward.

Pros

Flex days, bonuses, flexible work schedule

Cons

Too many staff so workload was not enough for a fast paced productive employee

Great place to work. Lots of job insecurity though

Cenovus was a great place to work. I hope I can return to it soon. The staff is great and really caring about each other. There were tons of opportunities to work on some interesting projects and try on some new hats.

Pros

Lots of lunch and learns, great staff

Cons

Because of the 2018 layoffs there was a lot of job insecurity

Great Company

I worked for Cenovus up to the Oil & Gas recession of 2015. During the boom times this was a very good company to work for; the culture was great, the pay high, and the benefits generous. However, I don't know how things re now, I have heard that they may have changed somewhat, but that is to be expected.

Lack of communication

Higher ups do not communicate effectively, it’s very slow and boring to work here. Administrative duties are easy and quick to do, no chance for raises or to move up really.

Good place to work and I enjoyed my time there.

Good place to work. Management was trusted their work staff,so I was free to do my job without being micromanaged. My experience was excellent and recommended them as an employer.

Friendly and supportive

Great work ethics from all co-workers. Opportunities to learn new skills and wide variety of tasks. Weekly and monthly inservice sessions to keep up to date on new information and seasonal requirements.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cenovus Energy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement