Cenovus Energy
Happiness score is 49 out of 100

Cenovus Energy Employee Reviews for Operator

good company

Use to be a great company but has lost its place due in part to poor business decision timing. Pay is around average and good vacation. Generally a good place to work depending on what you are looking for.

Good coworkers

Terrible management, low morale. Stressful as there always seems to be layoffs looming. No decent bonus unless you are good friends with managers and leads

Pros

Pay

Cons

Far too much useless mid management

Mismanagement from top to bottom, was a total buddy pal system of promotion never about qualification as ops management were former ops they very protectionist and kept those with any brains far away from any threat of their jobs and hire the guy that suckholes to them

Pros

Fair pay steady work

Cons

Management a trainwreck

Excellent Company

Excellent company to work for in my experience. Pay was great, Living allowance made it worth while and 7/7 Shifts made for an excellent work-life balance. Training is exceptional, and everything was provided by the company. I should mention I was only there for a short period during my college steam time practicum, so I worked for Bowen Workplace Solutions contracted out to Cenovus Energy. My time there was nothing short of exceptional. One of the best companies I've worked with!

Operations

This is the only operating job I've ever had and I love it. I've worked terrible jobs and know what it feels like to be over worked and underpaid. I'll probably be a lifer.

Pros

Constantly learning

Cons

Inherent dangers of working in the Oilfield

Sinking ship

Worst management of capital I've ever seen. Wages were good, life work balance was great but the upper management has run this company into the ditch. I'd be concern about job stability with this outfit.

horribly political for no good reason

recently found out my employment was terminated because members of the ops training department "didn't like me". which resulted in lost progress multiple times from the trainers forcing me to restart training packages multiple times under different standards every time. my lead didn't feel like vouching for me and I was terminated after 4 years of essentially harassment despite all the literal blood sweat and tears i gave that place. a word of advice. if you have a choice avoid this sh hole. unless you want to constantly deal with cliques as mature as high school mean girls who will literally badmouth you behind your back.

Pros

its a job

Cons

cliques, false safety culture, management funds their local friends businesses

excellent place to work

Fantastic company to work for, great pay and treated their contractors fairly. The position was a camp position and the camp was clean and comfortable and the food was good there. Busing was provided to and from camp, as well as from a depot to camp.

Pros

excellent pay

Great project to be a part of

Great support from engineering team and the ability to actively participate in the research development heavy oil plays. Excellent management team especially on the thermal side Risk based safety culture that met and addressed safety needs while providing a framework in which productivity and efficiency could be maintained. Calgary team was able to provide the tools necessary to meet the objective.

just a number

This company knows that the current economic times are to their advantage and use that leverage well when dealing with employees. They don't mind taking more and more away from those who create the wealth because they know there are 1000 resumes a month coming in. Management at both the site and Calgary level are disconnected with the field sites and the actual operations issues plus site moral. This was the company to work for, that is no longer the case as it lags with compensation and long term focus sustainability. Too many managers worried about stock performance and not focused on production equipment or people as assets.

Pros

its a job

Cons

management short sighted.

Excellent learning opportunity

This was an excellent place to further my career as a power engineer. Good place to learn more about commissioning a large scale plant.

One of the best on-board training and mentoring I experienced

On-board training is excellent. Trainers and co-workers are very helpful. I'm lucky to have a concerned leadhand. Not much diversity though.

Pros

Helpful trainers, mentors and leadhand.

Great company, just issues with progressing throughout career

Maintain processing reliability and product quality in the plant while optimizing production volumes in a safe environment Prepare equipment for maintenance in a safe and efficient manner Monitor equipment and process parameters

Pros

Some Free Lunches, Great Bonuses

Cons

Progression

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cenovus Energy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement