Cenovus Energy Employee Reviews

Great company with strong upside potential
Process Safety Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 January 2019
Great company with strong upside potential. Would consider / enjoy working there again, also believe their safety department is lacking a technical safety group.
Poor leadership
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary9 November 2018
Ongoing mismanagement and destruction of shareholder value. Workplace culture poor. Good people in the ranks suffer due to overpaid, uninspired leadership.
Enjoyable place to work.
contractor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2018
Team-oriented atmosphere, where everyone was committed to doing a good job. Management was friendly and knowledgeable. Best part of the job was the people.
Decent company to work with
Specialist (Current Employee) –  CA22 October 2018
They have problems promoting the right leaders. People with good skis, experience and working for years for the company, are just ignored and other with less experience are promoted.
Good company to work for but too much uncertainty
Sr. Optimization Technologist (Current Employee) –  Edson, AB20 October 2018
The job itself is very rewarding, I have the ability to learn and grow. The company has been in limbo since the acquisition of ConocoPhillips and the uncertainty within the company has definitely been the low point. Management is excellent and has given me the tools I need to succeed.
Good People and a Good Facility - Poor Decisions
Long Term Employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 October 2018
Working at Cenovus was a good experience, but over the last 4 years the constant threat of layoff made the days more difficult. The lower (site) management was dedicated to the operation of the site and the well-being of the people, but the corporate management just seemed to make one poor decision after another. I think that most employees were honest and hard working, but as you may have read in other reviews, this was generally not recognized by a management culture that looked to be mostly self serving.
The engineers, trades, and peers I worked with are what made the days enjoyable.
Pros
Good Facilities/Good People
Cons
Constant threat of layoffs
Nice Staff
Electrical Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB22 September 2018
I worked as a co-op student for Cenovus for 4 months and enjoyed my time there. I learned a lot there and the staff were very helpful and answered my questions fully.
Good people people but senior leadership was lacking leadership abilities
Contractor Advisor Operation Excellence (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2018
Working with the frontlines was the most enjoyable part of the job. When it came to working with senior leadership it was very difficult to make sustainable changes that work impact the business in a positive way. Making the same mistakes and not holding people accountable we a common theme.
The typical work day consisted of going out to the field from Tuesday to Thursday working on continuous improvement programs. Monday and Fridays was spent working on business transformation programs and conducting assessments of the operations management system.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
toxic environment with lay-off happening on regular 3 month interval
Productive and educational place of employment
Wellsite Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB13 August 2018
Work expectations were fair and achieveable. Hours were good and pay was excellent. Accomodations were first rate and food was excellent. Management was a little light on communication but their work load was much higher than the rest of us.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
communication
It was a fun place to work with lots of things to learn and do
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2018
As an admin assistant my typical day at work was helping all that needed my help in anyway that I could. The hardest part of my job is if I didn't know something, I would find out who know as quickly as I could. Most enjoyable part was the comrade that I gained with each and every person that I worked with.
Growing Company
Turnaround Manager - Oilsands (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 July 2018
Truly enjoyed my time with Cenovus and would highly recommend exploring open positions with Cenovus. A growing company looking to mature it's work processes yet stay fit for purpose and not over invested in specific department processes. Above average overall rewards and great colleagues.
Toxic Culture
Group Lead - Upstream Accouting (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 June 2018
A lot of good leads, with a lot of leads who should have been included in the reductions. Decisions impacting the Finance team are harmful to the operation of the team. Currently the finance team is operating on two completely separate ERPs with no new one in sight.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor Leadership
Recent corporate changes.
Day Tech (Current Employee) –  Foster Creek20 June 2018
Cenovus has recently gone through some major layoffs and several years of uncertain times.Employee moral hit an all time low between 2016 and mid 2017 mainly caused by inexperienced senior leadership. Recently the company has gone through some major corporate re-structuring and so far these changes have seemed to lift employee satisfaction.
Great employees, poor management
Sr. Maintenance & Reliability (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2018
Great employees, poor management. No developmental or career growth opportunities. Zero collaboration between teams, very poor direction from management, priorities change daily.
Pros
Colleagues, benefits, pay, work/life balance
Cons
Management, no developmental/career growth opportunities, lack of direction
No comments
Senior Site Facility Engineer (Former Employee) –  Alberta7 June 2018
Senior managements have no clues and no directions.
Oil & Gas company
Senior Process Support Technologist (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB28 May 2018
Fly-In position in northern Alberta. The company was very forward thinking with its maintenance philosophy but as the industry crunch came this philosophy changed fairly quickly. Many good positions were eliminated and the push to save money caused many problems with ongoing projects and diminished safety overall.
Pros
Camp facilities were fantastic. High pay and good benefits.
Cons
Changes in industry caused a huge dip in morale.
Some leaders in higher management and job security is poor reas all is great
Sr. Maintenance & Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 May 2018
I have joined Cenovus in 2014 and i have seen lots of changes ups and downs in very short time.
Company is great place to work only some leaders in higher management and job security is poor reas all is great
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta27 April 2018
fun and young, energetic work environment . Things have changed over the years with different management but the people are amazing. Best place to work because of the people.
Good company with lots of Great people and potential.
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2018
Overall, the company is a good company with great people, potential and operating assets. The company has suffered a lot recently from poor investments and leadership.
Pros
Great operating assets, good peopl and great potential.
Cons
Poor company leadership and decisions
It's a job
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 April 2018
It's job and pays the bills. Managements outlook is unrealistic and you can not say anything about it, in fear you will lose your job.

They think they can fix the morale but it is to late.
Pros
Salary, vacation days
Cons
Long hours, little recognition for hard work, no room for advancement or development. I would suggest avoiding this place unless you need a job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cenovus Energy. Our community is ready to answer.