Cenovus Energy Employee Reviews

Good place to work for during the good times
Corporate/Capital Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 March 2019
Great benefits and had a great boss but during the downturn everyone around me got let go and I was sold off with the old conventional assets to my current job.
Pros
Days Off, Total compensation
Cons
Ongoing Politics
Cenovus has changed so much from my time that a review would not be fair
Senior Advisor, Corporate Responsibility (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2019
The company has faced some hard times and layoffs and the team I worked on does not exist today. My time at the company was good and I wish the people there all the best
Okay company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 March 2019
Worked there for 9 years. Had good reviews, good rapport with co-workers and supervisors. Training is available and was used. It's been a tough few years for employees. Hope they figure it out.
Water/wastewater operator (Current Employee) –  Conklin, AB22 February 2019
This was a good learning opportunity, I met a lot of good positive people. My days started early morning and I worked 12 hr days with some overtime. I did trouble shoot plant ops. A good place to work.
Pros
fly in fly out
Cons
no career advancement
Had potential
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2019
Started with optimism and had many good years working with wonderful staff. Had the opportunity to work in various groups and see how the business was run from different BUs.
A potentially great company limited by poor leadership
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 February 2019
Cenovus has a lot going for it: good assets, good work, some good people in the working ranks. But this organization is fundamentally limited by the leadership and resulting culture. The culture is highly political and borderline toxic. This is not a meritocracy or an organization driven by normal rules of business. Leaders are chosen based on politic connections and how loudly they talk over their peers. Unqualified leaders routinely use fear and intimidation to support their status, instead of excellence and results. Not a good place for a career unless you like to work inside a house of cards type environment.
Pros
Good pay / benefits
Cons
Toxic work environment
Left Because I wasn't Advancing
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary31 January 2019
The job was not rewarding, and it was next to impossible to advance within the company.

Layoffs occur non-stop, and nearly everyone is a contractor.
Great company with strong upside potential
Process Safety Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 January 2019
Great company with strong upside potential. Would consider / enjoy working there again, also believe their safety department is lacking a technical safety group.
Gone downhill
SCM Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 November 2018
This company was a great place to be when I came on in 2013. Since then there have been 5+ rounds of layoffs, people are overworked and morale has declined significantly. I believe the new CEO is doing what he can to try and turn things around but I think a lot of people are too far gone and have lost total trust in leadership. I've spent 5 years stressing about my job security. I'm done with it.
Poor leadership
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary9 November 2018
Ongoing mismanagement and destruction of shareholder value. Workplace culture poor. Good people in the ranks suffer due to overpaid, uninspired leadership.
Enjoyable place to work.
contractor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2018
Team-oriented atmosphere, where everyone was committed to doing a good job. Management was friendly and knowledgeable. Best part of the job was the people.
Decent company to work with
Specialist (Current Employee) –  CA22 October 2018
They have problems promoting the right leaders. People with good skis, experience and working for years for the company, are just ignored and other with less experience are promoted.
Good company to work for but too much uncertainty
Sr. Optimization Technologist (Current Employee) –  Edson, AB20 October 2018
The job itself is very rewarding, I have the ability to learn and grow. The company has been in limbo since the acquisition of ConocoPhillips and the uncertainty within the company has definitely been the low point. Management is excellent and has given me the tools I need to succeed.
Good People and a Good Facility - Poor Decisions
Long Term Employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 October 2018
Working at Cenovus was a good experience, but over the last 4 years the constant threat of layoff made the days more difficult. The lower (site) management was dedicated to the operation of the site and the well-being of the people, but the corporate management just seemed to make one poor decision after another. I think that most employees were honest and hard working, but as you may have read in other reviews, this was generally not recognized by a management culture that looked to be mostly self serving.
The engineers, trades, and peers I worked with are what made the days enjoyable.
Pros
Good Facilities/Good People
Cons
Constant threat of layoffs
Nice Staff
Electrical Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB22 September 2018
I worked as a co-op student for Cenovus for 4 months and enjoyed my time there. I learned a lot there and the staff were very helpful and answered my questions fully.
Good people people but senior leadership was lacking leadership abilities
Contractor Advisor Operation Excellence (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2018
Working with the frontlines was the most enjoyable part of the job. When it came to working with senior leadership it was very difficult to make sustainable changes that work impact the business in a positive way. Making the same mistakes and not holding people accountable we a common theme.
The typical work day consisted of going out to the field from Tuesday to Thursday working on continuous improvement programs. Monday and Fridays was spent working on business transformation programs and conducting assessments of the operations management system.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
toxic environment with lay-off happening on regular 3 month interval
Productive and educational place of employment
Wellsite Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB13 August 2018
Work expectations were fair and achieveable. Hours were good and pay was excellent. Accomodations were first rate and food was excellent. Management was a little light on communication but their work load was much higher than the rest of us.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
communication
It was a fun place to work with lots of things to learn and do
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2018
As an admin assistant my typical day at work was helping all that needed my help in anyway that I could. The hardest part of my job is if I didn't know something, I would find out who know as quickly as I could. Most enjoyable part was the comrade that I gained with each and every person that I worked with.
Growing Company
Turnaround Manager - Oilsands (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 July 2018
Truly enjoyed my time with Cenovus and would highly recommend exploring open positions with Cenovus. A growing company looking to mature it's work processes yet stay fit for purpose and not over invested in specific department processes. Above average overall rewards and great colleagues.
Recent corporate changes.
Day Tech (Current Employee) –  Foster Creek20 June 2018
Cenovus has recently gone through some major layoffs and several years of uncertain times.Employee moral hit an all time low between 2016 and mid 2017 mainly caused by inexperienced senior leadership. Recently the company has gone through some major corporate re-structuring and so far these changes have seemed to lift employee satisfaction.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cenovus Energy. Our community is ready to answer.