Cenovus Energy

Cenovus Energy Employee Reviews

Canada331 reviews

calgarycampoilsafetydownturnlayoffassetcontractor

Lots of work-Minimal staff

Lots of staff cuts have led to everyone being stretched too thin. There will be incidents to come from this. Its a big company and it shows with how slow they are to react to changing markets

Pros

Reasonable pay-Good people to work with locally

Cons

Out of touch upper management-Always stretched too thin

Micro cubes to pay deducted

The office environment is not great. You have no space in the micro cubes. The pay and benefits are below market and you need to double chek your pay as sunlife often deducts more then you told them to in the enrolment.

Insights into Cenovus Energy

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

One of the top jobs and employers I have ever had

Great company to work for! The team at Foster Creek are top notch and safety is a priority. Management lets me do my thing without micro managing and freedom to be responsible for the work assigned.The camp at Foster creek is a little old and dated but still decent. Christina Lake camp is one of the best accommodations I have seen in the industry. Good pay, excellent vacation and time off. Week on week off schedule with generous banked OT and vacation time. Benefits are pretty much standard.

Pros

Vacation time, Work life balance, Pay, Stock options, Company matching pension

Cons

Bonus could be better and not based on bell curve

The company preaches diversity, it takes one look at the plant to see that is not true.

Uninvolved management and supervisor. Extremely Poor team atmosphere, where backstabbing is encouraged. The plant is run much like a popularity contest. The Supervisor chooses a couple of golden employees to communicate with to get 'the dirt' on other employees. It's as if he doesn't realize that most employees are competing with one another, they will say anything to remain in golden standing. You will very rarely see the supervisor. Therefore, whatever is being said behind your back is what he bases your value on, so good luck if you aren't friends with one of the golden favorites. Be prepared to be sabotaged and ridiculed especially if you are a minority.It's not what you know, it's who you know.

Pros

Good pay, steady schedule

Cons

Racism, poor work atmosphere, false promises of opportunities for advancement

Worst place only focus on FCCL

New management only focus on Legacy thermal asset; don't care much about anything / anyone else. Mostly old Conoco people running the show; functional org has no place on Oil and Gas company.

Productive workplace

Good place to work and learn. Pays fairly. Always puts safety first. Can improve management involvement in individual skill improvemnet. Lloyd plants.

if you wanna spend stressful life join Cenovus

there is no work-life balance, most days are 9-10 hours just to keep up the workload. salary is good but not worth the mental and physical health, managers dont take stand for you, they are also scared of being laid off or something.

Good ol boys club

You are a number to them. They won’t promote from within, they low ball salary, they overwork, over promise and underdeliver, why they turnover quite a lot of staff. False promises constantly at medium levels.

Pros

They pay well

Cons

Multiple people I knew working there have extreme anxiety’, panic attacks and other mental health issues related to stress

Awesome place to work

Fun supportive management and staff. Kindness shown by all and the accommodations are fantastic. The work roles are well defined. The staff are well trained and cohesive not divisive. The staff work collaboratively with the EMS making this group highly reliable and efficient. The worksite is fortunate to have these well trained compassionate people. In the hiring process , the company was thorough in making sure I had all the credentials needed for the job.

Poor leadership culture - top down - unwilling to be challenged on strategy

After 3 years I had very little trust of senior leadership. Always talked a good game but actions did not line up with words. A couple of the senior leaders were a unique combination of arrogance and ignorance.

Great flexibility for work life balance.

Great flexibility for work life balance, but not enough career advancement opportunities. Fair pay. Excellent Benefits. Culture varies from team to team but overall decent.

Good benefits, too political

Great comp package; vacation, benefits, pension, etc. Very political environmentGreat co-workers, leaders managed up

Very progressive place to work... progressing with the times, unfortunately.

I loved working with Cenovus. However, my time with CVE was cut short due to the downturn.I am certain there are still many positives for the employees who remain! I do miss the professional work culture and procedures!

Pros

Professional and many opportunities to grow

Cons

Good pay, that's about it...

Good pay and work schedule (7/7)). But if you don't like to worry if you're going to have a job the next day, and poor management (for the most part), maybe don't bother.

Pros

Pay and schedule

Cons

Littteraly everything a bad employer can be.

Great assets and great people.

Felt very fortunate to have had the opportunity to work with organization for a decade and half. Very few companies have the people talent that Cenovus does, paired with a good culture.

Interesting and varied work.

Interesting and varied work. You will never be bored. The team I worked in was very collaborative. The only concern is the frequent layoff cycles which make working here stressful.

Pros

Interesting and varied work. Collaborative culture.

Cons

No job security

Average company struggling with merger culture clashes.

Mergers and decisions for management positions appear questionable. Seems that people in positions of power are not aware of day to day activities and do not appear to want to know them. You are just another number.

Poor leadership and dysfunctional teams

Used to work at Husky energy for many years until the takeover (not a merger, clearly a takeover). Immediately I was thrown into an environment where I was siloed and discouraged to collaborate with others. If you are from Husky, your opinions doesn’t matter because it’s not the “Cenovus” way. Poor decisions are made without proper consultation and the affected people are left to deal with the aftermath. Absolutely demotivating with zero room for growth. Can not recommend this company.

Pros

Good salary and benefits

Cons

Poor leadership, competitive corporate culture

a lot of horrasments

rood environment with arrogant people, poor safety, poor communication, bulling coworkers, not well educated management with low experience and skills

Pros

nil

Cons

too many

Challenging and fulfilling

I would go back in a heartbeat. The 5 years I spent there were the most productive and profitable of my career. I learned a lot about people and how to handle difficult situations ethically, and productively.

Pros

Great pay

All bosses...No Leaders

Good pay and benefits. The culture is good with people on your own level but Supervidors are all appointed by friends so there are mostly supervisors with very little management and leadership skills. It's hard to get behind the arrogance of the bosses who specialize in learning acronyms and trying to sound like big shots. Remember this is an oil company and is run by a bunch of roughneck type people. They know how to talk and always act like they are the smartest people in the room.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Poor management, constant reorganization and layoffs, arrogance in supervisors

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cenovus Energy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement