CEDA Employee Reviews

Busy, dirty and unorganized
Working Foreman - Senior Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 February 2019
Working out of the Suncore oil sands operations in Fort McMurray Alberta, CEDA is one of the many contractors working in the area doing various types of jobs. From cleaning up raw sewage to dredging in man made tailing ponds your day to day job can be unpredictable. Depending on what the land owners (Suncoer) require your daily job responsibilities can vary from day to day. Management can be difficult to work with because job responsibility changes. The management team are mostly close friends or relatives so promotions and advancements within the job can be difficult to come by.
Pros
A lot of down time doing nothing and still getting paid
Cons
unorganized and harsh working conditions in the oil sands
Nights, Proper PPE
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK12 February 2019
Working for this company was a legitimate deal. They give you a good understanding of what your in for. And provide a well organized safety plan, PPE, and proper procedures.
Pros
Good Work/Break Balance
Cons
Cold Nights, Bad Air
Worst racist company ever
Laborer (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 February 2019
It’s no wonder guys quit this job every day. They hire tons of labors and just work them to the ground, not showing any appreciation or valuing anyone on their team. Sometimes I forget where I am when I ecounter racism. Trust me it lives well over at CEDA. It’s one thing to be black, but a black labour oh no. I would never recommend this trash of a company. Guess the economy is taking a big hit so guys will get work wherever. But whenever Alberta is back up and running these guys are gonna be begging to keep their guys.
Pros
Non
Cons
Racism
Too much favouritism
Turnaround Time Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 February 2019
not a fair environment to work in. There were favourites and they could do what ever they wanted and suffer no consequences. Very stressful place and very 'dog eat dog'
Adventurous Job
Operator and Night Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB20 January 2019
On the road a lot working in the pigging division. Very easy work as long as you can pass drug tests and can handle living on the road and living from camp to camp.
clicky
Chemical cleaning supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 November 2018
if u weren't part of the boys clubs and spoke ur mind u were outed reguardless if it was for safey or anything there for just follow the line don't ask question company
Ceda work life
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 November 2018
I have worked for Ceda for 6 years and have been a site supervisor for 4 of those in the DFM division on Suncor site. I started at the bottom as a labour and with in my first 2 years was a team lead then promoted to a supervisor. The company as a whole is a decent entry level job and the people that work their are very knowledgeable and willing to teach you the job.
I would say though that the hours on site away from the family home are very long and a schedule of 14/7 does not leave a lot work/life balance.
Our management team where they have a well structured team and working relationship with our client Suncor they are some what disengaged from the field and workers.
I would say the hardest part of our job is the environment we work in. It is in the tailings sector of Suncor which i very remote and tough to traverse.
We have a very close knit team in the field level which i would say is the most enjoyable part of the job!
Pros
easy, decent wge for the amount of work, ample training on each position
Cons
long hours, very hard to get a pay rise, unforgiving enviroment
a good place to work
vac truck water truck driver (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB24 October 2018
ceda is big company but they treat me good. every day is different becuase the plant we work at is flat out and i gets good hours and has fun and we all has a laugh when we working. i like my bosses and the boys except for 1 but he dont matter good place to work
Pros
good hours good camp
Cons
no flights 1 boss is arrsehole and sometimes hours to long
Loved to work there
Lead Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB24 October 2018
I did enjoy working there however, some of the supervisors were not easy to deal with. Especially when you as a qualified mechanic tried to reason with them. Costs seemed to be the only thing they understand and some of them weren't good at that.
Pros
Flights and accomodations
Cons
Very little care about their best assets, people.
very good people on site
Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB24 October 2018
all sites that I've been to with ceda the people have been amazing, the management in the office needs to be more prepaid for all the work that gets done, and the people they got to keep track of
Pros
good people to work with, paid flights from NL with camp
Cons
low hourly wage
Toxic culture
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 October 2018
this is one review that deserves the option of negative star rating. The mismanagement of this company starts at the top with corrupt leadership. The management team lie to the owners and shareholders, they lie to the customers to win the work and finally the workers suffer as a consequence of these poor actions. Safety incidents are covered up. its your fault when the project fails. you won’t be paid on time and if you complain your fired.
Pros
leaving
Cons
toxic
Brilliant summer job!
Field Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 September 2018
CEDA's management team is very well structured with ethically minded caring individuals who strive for excellence. This is a job I was sad to leave due to the perfectly crafted sense of comradery and great pay! These jobs pay generously and have in built over time which for an international student provides an opportunity to save and better their financial standing in a relatively small space of time. CEDA provides off/on-site training which I am truly grateful for! They invest in you before you have given them first hand reason to. This is a company that I am proud to have worked for.
Pros
Great pay, Good people, Supplied training
Bad management
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 July 2018
Unless you are management you don’t mean nothing.
Was told over and over they needed operators forn14-14 while I was working with them. But speak to mangers there is nothing available. Different sorry if your related to or friends with management.
Pros
Paid training
Cons
Not knowing when your done at all, terrible management
productive
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 June 2018
great people to work with, safety was great, learned how to work safe, be efficient, management was good. i liked that it was fast paced and the days went quick
Worked overtime
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK7 June 2018
good pay for overtime, hours were too long away from home a lot no family time off, no chance for advancement, staff were hard to work with, a lot of turn around in staff
Old boys club
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 June 2018
Ceda is definitely a old boys club. If you’re not friends with foremans or management you will not advance. Ceda management at Syncrude treats their employees,especially shutdown workers really bad. They don’t care about you, you’re only a number who can be replaced. Do not get sick and miss work or they will hold it against you. The trucks they use is so worn out and unsafe,they shouldn’t be allowed to use them. I recommend to stay away from this company.
Pros
Flights and accommodations paid for
Cons
Management. Away from home months at a time.
Fun atmosphere to work in and all the people were great to work with
GENERAL FOREMAN /SUPERINTENDENT (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 June 2018
The overall support from the Calgary office could improve in terms of support where resources are required. Jobs are successful starting at the top and working down to the bottom. They could definitely provide more support for the construction end where I was working. Maybe it is different on other job sites.
Pros
Good pay for where the job was stationed
Cons
Working away from home for long periods of time
Lost when it comes to management
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB25 May 2018
When you fire someone without cause and tell them that they just don't, 'fit in" - that's not a company who cares about their employees... oh wait - I was a laborer ... not a driver. So of course I am replaceable and treated like dirt. The only way you might want to stay with this organisation is if you have a class one license , then they would treat you much better!

So if you are a laborer .... AVOID.

If you are a truck driver, they will treat you a bit better because they need you.
Pros
work away from home
Cons
mismanagement - shortage of pickups to use
Micro Management
Low on the totem pole (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 April 2018
Not all departments were like this but when it was it was horrible. Would never recommend to work here unless you are in the oil field. Work life balance was non existent
Commissioning/Maintenance Millwright
Millwright - Contractor (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB26 March 2018
Friendly work environment, lots of turnover at middle mangenment at the time. Good leadership from direct supervision. Great safety evironment at site. Safety personel were excellent to deal with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CEDA. Our community is ready to answer.