CBC/Radio-Canada
Happiness score is 66 out of 100

CBC/Radio-Canada Employee Reviews

Canada177 reviews

Good colleagues, poor management

Great work colleagues. Managment lacks technical and leadership skills to make it a worthwhile workplace. Trying to move within the corporation is also impossible unless you have put in your time or with very good connections

You need to be passionate about journalism to survive this place.

If you are passionate about public service journalism (and I mean so passionate that you are willing to forego everything else in your life for it), this is the place you want to be. There is nowhere else in Canada that offers you the opportunities that CBC can provide when it comes to all aspects of public service journalism (radio, broadcast, digital, social, investigative, podcasts, etc). But all of this comes at a significant cost: there is no work-life balance, you will have to navigate office politics (added pressure if you are a person of colour), you will learn management loves to pay lip service to employees, you will work years as a precarious employee never knowing what your schedule will look like 2 weeks from now, you will suffer burnout eventually, you will reconsider your decision to be a journalist and you may even end up leaving the industry because of your experience.

Love the work, hate the workplace culture

I love what I do, but I find the workplace culture challenging. Horrible effects on mental health. It makes me want to leave journalism. If you’re a casual, it’s a hard road. Years of precarious work doesn’t always lead to anything more permanent.

Pros

Working with some great journalists

Cons

Lack of respect and humanity by managers

J'aime être à Radio-Canada

Le plus mauvais côté est d'y être pigiste... Difficile d'accepter de ne plus être la "saveur du mois"

Pros

J'aime l'environnement

Cons

Souvent travailler pour des personnes qui ne connaissent pas la production.

Best journalism standards, young and passionate team, but salary not competitive in GTA

Pros :- Working for the public broadcaster- Great team with passionate reporters and producers- Working on every platform (radio, TV, web)- Perpective of evolution everywhere in the country in both English and French services- Collaboration between Radio-Canada and CBC- Great pension planCons :- Collective agreement salaries are not competitive in an area like Toronto- Lack of resources - People hate journalists, if you wear a CBC logo, it feels like it gets worse

Challenging but rewarding

I had a great 25 years career at CBC with lots of variety and amazing people to work and learn from. Another time and another place and it might never have happened.

Great job, terrible workplace

The work itself is very rewarding. The company culture is terrible, management is not worth your time, and don't think you'll advance. I gave up after working here for nearly one and a half decades. You might put in five years, but don't think it'll be a good long term option.

Pros

Rewarding work

Cons

Poor management

Nice place

Was a contract employee like so many and left to linger for years. You will work so hard but you will never get job security.The work itself is incredible and you work wi try amazing people.

Pros

Great work

Cons

Terribly run

Creative and Techncially advanced environment

They suck. Worst management style I have ever seen, Extremely adversarial. Advancement is based on how friendly with mgmnt you may be. Most hires are political and swing with the moods of the day.

Pros

Fairly advanced technical equipment. Well supplied in new gear.

Cons

long tedious hours especially if your present assignment doesn't quite fit your needs.

Facile de garder son emploi

Horaires atypiques Facilité à faire beaucoup de temps supplémentaire Capacité à supporter la pressionPas beaucoup de retour sur les bons coups de la part de l’employeur Aucune conciliation travail-famillePlaintes d’harcèlement prise au sérieux Très bons avantages sociaux

Pros

Avantages sociaux

Cons

Peu de rétroactions positives

A good place to work but no job security, a lay-off is common.

A good place to work but, a lay-off is common I notice sadly no job security, Havening said that, if you can stay longer CBC is a great place to work.

Very stresfull place with way to many managers

Worked there 35 years and it went from pretty bad to very bad with to many managers in your way preventing workers from being to creative. This organisation will cut your head the moment it feels that its public image could be in jeopardy. I've seen many of my coworkers fall this way.

Pros

You can take sick days on a regular basis

Cons

To many managers

Radio-Canada est le meilleur employeur pour qui j'ai travaillé

Je ne me gêne pas pour crier haut et fort que je travaille pour la meilleure organisation, avec les meilleurs collègues, un boss incroyable et des clients qui me stimulent et me permettent de devenir une meilleure personne.

Pros

Flexibilité, excellentes conditions, direction qui me fait confiance

Cons

Bureaucratie, processus rigide

Working here destroyed my mental health

If you're a young journalist looking to get into CBC, my advice to you is to RUN as fast as you can the other way. Working here destroyed my mental health.The only way for young people to get jobs here is to accept short-term contracts (like a few weeks to a month) with no job security whatsoever. You're essentially perpetually auditioning for your own job and you can be let go at any time with no reason given. The quality of your work has no bearing on whether you get to keep your job. People live this way for years and years at a time. I know several who did it for over a decade. I also know several talented people who were forced to quit because of the stress of the constant uncertainty. I even know a few who had to leave the country because this type of employment wasn't good enough to extend their visas. There is a toxic culture of protecting abusive hosts from accountability while punishing people for speaking out against them. And of course if you're on short-term contracts you have no power and often these hosts have large influence over whether you get to keep your job. If I were to design a system designed to wear people down and make them hate their lives it would be the CBC temp system. They are abusing an entire generation of young journalists at the company (more than 1,000 employees) and sabotaging their own future.

Pros

Looks good on a resume

Cons

See review.

Good Place to Work

Equal employment opportunity provider. Work like is decently balanced. Though it depends a lot on which department are you working under. Most of the colleagues are very helpful and co-operative.

Use and throw culture / Lies and manipulation

- All the managers show as if they are concerned but they hire you on contract and lay you off at any time- Managers especially of the OTTH team are very manipulative and big liars- Join on contract if and only if you have no other job in hand and keep looking, that's my suggestion.- Stop allowing your managers to use and throw employees on a contract, but you can not help as you even fired long term, permanent 130 employees.

Official response from CBC/Radio-Canada

19 November 2020
While we’re sorry to hear that your experience working with us was largely negative, the fact that you took the time to provide feedback is appreciated. It will help us work toward improving the organization as a whole, including how management teams can work to improve workplace culture. Employees are also always welcome to reach out to CBC/Radio-Canada’s Values and Ethics Commissioner for advice, or to file a formal complaint if they feel there has been a breach of our Code of Conduct. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

fun workplace and learning experience

collaborated with people from all kind of media background and knowledge of music and politics, learn about old media technology and entertainment. Interesting culture.

Frustrating and heartbreaking

Hands-off approach to management, no mentoring and mild bullying. Blatant racism and anti-anglo sentiments go unchecked so I wouldn't recommend it to any POC. Pass-the-puck problem solving makes it extremely frustrating to find solutions. No accountability.

Official response from CBC/Radio-Canada

11 June 2020
Thanks for sharing this with us. First, we want to clarify that there are expectations for management to continuously improve and develop, just as there are for all employees. We are working to make improvements, with better training, and measurable expectations for managers. However, when it comes to racism of any kind, there is absolutely no place for it at CBC/Radio-Canada, full stop. It is so important for any employee who witnesses acts of racism to raise their voice in calling it out. If you don't feel comfortable doing so, please know that you have options: if you don't feel comfortable talking to your manager or your Media Solutions team's HR partner, you should absolutely flag your concerns about racism (or inappropriate behaviour of any kind that goes against our Code of Conduct) with Diane Girard, our Values and Ethics Commissioner (see URL below). Not only can she advise you about this or other situations, but when you speak with her, conversations are confidential. Furthermore, the decision to proceed with a formal complaint would be entirely up to you. Either way, we are very sorry to hear that your experience as an employee has not been positive, and we are here to support you if you want to reach out. https://cbc.radio-canada.ca/en/impact-and-accountability/values-and-ethics-commissionner

Your experience will depend which team you're in

Worst management and day to day I've experienced in my long career of working in the same type of role / industry. Our team had a very bad culture, cultivated from years of bad management and zero leadership. If you like to work in a place where you go in the office, relax, go home, then this is your company. If you have any type of passion within you then stay away.

Environnement de travail agréable

Ambiance agréable avec une équipe de travail soudée et productive

Environnement de travail créatif

Lieu de travail agréable Collègues créatifs et collaborateurs Culture de travail changeante mais agréable Bon lieu pour développer des compétences administratives, en communication, en technologie et en programmation Milieu de travail qui est exigeant et parfois stressant selon l'occupation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CBC/Radio-Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement