Cato Corporation Employee Reviews

great palce to work if your in school or want part time
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newport, KY21 July 2018
great place to work you have to be 18 to work there you get a certain % discount off clothes management was great at newport location made many friends with the costumers. make sure you wear comfertable shoes cause your on your feet all day
Pros
flexible schedule, fast food and aldi close by
Cons
want to spend money on clothes, 18+
wouldnt recomend
2nd key Manager (Former Employee) –  gainesville tx19 July 2018
This place doesnt offer over time unless someone quits. they are extremely under staffed so you work alot of hours that you dont get paid on. Atttiudes need to change up there and have friendly attitudes instead of stick in the mud.
Nice place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NC 2790918 July 2018
Always a nice and friendly environment. As a manager some days were longer than others, but nothing makes my happier than putting a smile on customers faces on the daily.
It was fun at the beginning, but high turnover due to their lack to try to keep good managers, after years of service and sales to back it. They let g
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OK. 7301317 July 2018
Management (good) are treated awful and discarded without reasoning. chain of command broke down easily. With a district manager not knowing how to open or close the store or even knowing how to get on ADP. Berating a key holder for unable to work a double because she didn't know how and didn't want to learn. The store suffered terribly and I could no longer hide my embarrassment of the store's state, naked mannequins everywhere, a week to put out shipment and the lack of help from district, regional, and corporate. The manager they did get was very nice, but our store was too big too overwhelming and she hired people that couldn't do the job just to have a warm body.
Pros
No pros
Cons
lots
Catos
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Union, SC17 July 2018
Fun environment to work around, not lots of co workers your co workers will become like family because it is so little of them. every aspect of the job was fun.
Pros
people
Cons
pay
Horrible Compensation
PART-TIME ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, IN15 July 2018
To cut to the chase, Cato is a discount company and everything about them is discount. Cheap store fixtures, cheap product, horrible compensation. I worked there for one year, and my annual raise was a nickel. I complained to management, and it was raised only after threatening to quit. They also have a stupid dress code.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
pay, inept corporate micro management
Under Paid
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MS15 July 2018
Cato's is under paid $7.50, with four hours per work day to work, sometimes less hours. Management is terrible, the director does not take time to listen to the employees interest nor concerns. The computer (1960) system is very much outdated. Someone please help improve the company.
Pros
Clothes, co workers
Cons
Underpaid, upgrade the computer system.
job concerns
Sales Associate (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Kosciusko, MS13 July 2018
I learned great management skills and leadership skills. I enjoyed my job very much, but it just did not pay much. The hardest part about the job was the pay for me.
Fun and productive
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX13 July 2018
A typical day at work is fast paced; whether you're finishing markdowns on Sundays, to receiving shipment or freight on Mondays, there is always something to do. Interacting with all of the clients is probably the most rewarding part of the job. There are women of all shapes and sizes coming in, looking for the next trendiest items of the season. The hardest part of the job is adhering to the plan o grams and color changes. Getting those completed while clients are in the store causes disruption and confusion. Overall, it is a great learning experience and the pay is great as well.
Pros
Job Culture, Pay
Cons
Upper management
Easy, fun, get to meet a lit of people
2nd Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Missouri12 July 2018
Its a good company to work for but the pay is nothing you can support a family on. Where I was sick kids are not emergencies and no reason to misa even if you call in 4 hours in advance. Wrote up for no reason no explanation and couldnt see them. I quit because the pay was not worth the headache my family is important and it was 2 days. Management was inexperienced with no management schooling.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Do not understand emergencies with kidd
Great customers
Store General Manager (Former Employee) –  Senatobia, MS11 July 2018
I loved many of my customers. Knowing that I made a difference or could help someone is what made my day enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was the inconsistency of my direct manager and work hours. Mandatory 45 hours with no overtime pay. Often 50 plus hours when Corporate Visits were scheduled.
job summary
cato sales associates (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TX8 July 2018
they are a great company but when you work your butt off you get in trouble for the little things like making sure your coworkers are dress apportiatly.
Very relaxed and sometimes slow environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC7 July 2018
I was great with the customers but the management was not the best. I did not have the best hours but I did like the relaxed environment and the location.
Pros
Discounts on merchandise
Cons
Management and the hours I received
Love What You Do
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL5 July 2018
I worked at Cato for 3 years. Began as an assistant and was promoted to Store Manager after 10 months. Then was promoted to a larger store after a year and a half ( although it was offered twice before in that time frame before I said yes). I was (am) very passionate about what I do. But I left for more pay. After working for another company for 9 months I returned to Cato. There are good and bad reviews. Bottom line is, you must be willing to work hard. Its a work ethic, not a pay ethic. When you do a good job, you are rewarded. If you take the job offer then you are accepting the pay so don't complain when you have to do your job.
Training is thorough and you always have Opportunity to Work, Lead, and Grow. You get what you give.
The District is like a small family and other stores help each other when/if you are short staffed.
Opportunity to participate in Grass Roots(Donation) Program; Host Fashion Shows, Networking opportunities. They are lenient in allowing you to run contests in your own store to help team building and drive business.When something "works" you share it with your district.
This company is DEBT FREE. Which is JOB SECURITY.
Store Managers wear many hats. Cato signs your paycheck, follow the policies. Its just that simple.
Pros
Earned Paid Time Off, Insurance, 401K, Stock Options, Advancement, Creatvity
Cons
Pay could be better
great job and benefits
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GA4 July 2018
Cato is a great place to work overall but the pay really needs to improve.Benefits include paid holidays, health insurance, life insurance,dental,bonuses,401k and stock options. However I feel that everyone at the store level is underpaid.
Pros
work environment and culture
Cons
pay
Great.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TN4 July 2018
I enjoyed working at Cato. Even though it was a couple years back I really did enjoy my time working at Cato. The management was amazing and I believe if I would've stayed I would probably be in management by now.
Predjudice company hinders growth
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VA2 July 2018
As a young African American woman in this company I found it hard to receive a promotion even when my specific store was severely short-handed. Once I was promoted after several interviews, I felt that the women being hired here were not only being judged on their skin but also their figure. As a company that sells plus sized clothing I feel that the way upper management degrades plus sized staff is completely unacceptable. Cato also ONLY offered the day of a team member's wedding off and gave her nothing more.
I do not recommend
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pittsburg, KS2 July 2018
You get paid literally nothing. Do not take this job part time if you have any payments to make at all. Minimum wage and taxes taken out is almost nothing. My manager was unprofessional.
Pros
30% discount
Cons
Doesn't pay well
Fun place to work in fashion
First Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Princeton, KY2 July 2018
Customer based fashion store with great management team. Maximum pay is low compared to other retailers. New Stock Daily and reset store frequently. B+
Pros
Discount
Cons
Low pay
Stay far far away
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  South Carolina27 June 2018
They Lure you in. Get in the job, then expect you to work over your allotted hours and don't care about your health or well being. They are just trying to make a buck since the whole company is double digit decrease. DO NOT get suckered in. Not worth the stress, you don't even get paid for half of the stuff they ask you to do.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything