Catholic Social Services

Catholic Social Services Employee Reviews for Youth Worker

Youth Worker8 reviews
Canada8 reviews

socialclientprogramsupportindividualstaffcareservice

Eagles Club.working with mentally challenged children and adults.

As part of the Eagles Club,we would take clients on outings to CFL football games, hockey games, participate in games and activities at the club such as table tennis, Kareoke nights,bake sales, cooking class,cultural participation.

Pros

Fun clients and great staff/

Cons

not enough hours

Children Care

Needs new management. Youth work program needs better management. New management with more experience. Good base pay. Good if you need multiple jobs. Good in other department. HR department needs more experienced workers.

Pros

Great programs for the. Community

Cons

A lot of OT. People need to care about people if they are going to apply.

Insights into Catholic Social Services

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Supportive environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Management Does Not Care About Their Front-Line Staff

Right off the bat I was disappointed-was not properly trained with my job duties. Was expected to work all the time- long hours and pick up extra shifts (if I didn't, I was mad to feel ashamed) with no days off or appreciation and then was fired and not provided with any reasoning behind it. The management clearly does not care to have an open line of communication with their employees and are very passive aggressive rather than confronting a job performance concern when they observe it. Staff are insanely cliquey, supervisor clearly chooses favorites, and not all staff are actually kept in the loop of activities and events planned for the day, but then staff get in trouble for not being prepared for said activities!

Pros

Clients are great, easy going when supervisors aren't present

Cons

extremely high expectations BUT you don't actually know what is expected of you until it's too late

Children’s Programs in Red Deer

The Youth residential homes in Red Deer are simply amazing to work for. I have had an opportunity to work for most of them and although they can be challenging, the program supervisor gets it. The Program supervisor goes above and beyond, demonstrates the skills we all want to have and if we are asked to do something the program supervisor is always prepared to do the work along side you. It’s clear that this has been passed down to the Service Coordinators in the program and addiontally down to the front line staff. Such a great role model and influence, the program supervisor works quietly in the background to ensure that the child and youth care workers are set up for success, and everyone seems to notice. The whole agency should take note of this style of leadership and mimic this is other programs. The Community Disability workers in other areas in the company would benefit from stronger leadership at times, particularly the more challenging homes. The programs are friendly, fast paced and are typically awe inspiring, CSS children’s management supports the front line staff through the tough stuff. I would recommend the Youth homes to any staff working in the field.

Pros

Friendly, supportive, lots of team bonding, training, program events, management

Cons

Training (agency not program) can take awhile to get into

Amazing Children’s program.

There is a caring supportive environment for the Child and Youth workers. It is difficult work, but the supervisors are supportive and understanding. It’s a really fun work environment I’m grateful for the learning and experiences here

Pros

Fun co-workers, team environment

Excellent place to work.

I enjoy work with this Agency. Supervisors pay attention to staff needs and endeavor to effect necessary changes. Staff to staff interaction is super. Yes periodic free lunch.

Pros

Occasional free lunch and treats.

Cons

Long hours.

Css

This was a great agency to work for. I loved working for CSS. I wish they were hiring.

CYW and FASD Transitional Worker

I loved my job here and the clients. I found however that staff was underpaid and the government should be funding more dollars for these programs as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Catholic Social Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement