Catholic Social Services
Happiness score is 67 out of 100

Catholic Social Services Employee Reviews in Red Deer, AB

Red Deer, AB30 reviews

I'm excited to leave the company in the Summer.

If you don't work full time, expect to get called in at all hours of the day. And don't expect any pay increases, despite increasing cost of living. Managers are (generally) okay, but some seem kind of fake nice?

Literally run for your money

If you are looking to run for your money, be burnt out, life and work becomes unbalanced, receive little to no communication, not be heard, concerns mean nothing, no rush to bring you back to work even though you display being ready, they do not provide accommodations for employees despite saying so in their return to work package, everything that is highlighted in their mission, vision and values is not held true for employees. Despite the poor quality treatment from administrative and managerial employees, the treatment from direct coworkers and supervisors are fantastic and make it worth showing up to the office. The clients also make work great as well.

Pros

Great clients, great coworkers, great bosses...

Cons

Lead down a path of being overworked and burnt out, lack of communication, poor treatment from Administration and managers, left unheard....

Insights into Catholic Social Services

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Poor treatment for frontliners

Will never work here again. Lady Liberty should be here. Higher management in main are okay but not Red Deer Central Region. They have privilege staff.

Pros

Free coffee/tea

Cons

Hard to find coverage when calling in sick, you have to have a friend within the the admin to easily get a job with no problem, you have to work extra job duties beyond your job description, no other language spoken in the premises, no breaks, no longer vacation as when you return after 6 weeks you will be transfered, medication administration is critical med errors are major trouble, and a lot more

Expect to get sick from stress

I worked here for a period of time and every day it was stress from management. We the staff were blamed for every little behavior, nothing we did was ever enough and every moment is micromanaged. An individual can be actually physically abusing you and the staff will be chastised. The staff don't matter here, they will tell you that you do but it's simply not true

Cons

Abuse and criticism

management in the children's program

-too much work harassment - no job security - favouritism- no work ethics- especially children's program in Red deer.- client negligence -too much work pressure- no staff appreciation.

Pros

Good co workers

Cons

Overall ..the children's management is bad

Stress, no breaks, bad shifts

Stressful shifts changing every single day so your body can not properly rest. You are paid for the full shift cause you might not be able to have a lunch or a break. Pay close attention to your paystub cause several mistakes were done. Overall with so many companies out there looking for these kind of care giver you might go with someone else.

Pros

Fair wage

Cons

Different shift every day

Not a good experience

Not a good experience. Management was terrible, did not appreciate or respect staff at all. Very hostile work environment. No communication and low pay for work that is required

Children Care

Needs new management. Youth work program needs better management. New management with more experience. Good base pay. Good if you need multiple jobs. Good in other department. HR department needs more experienced workers.

Pros

Great programs for the. Community

Cons

A lot of OT. People need to care about people if they are going to apply.

Management Does Not Care About Their Front-Line Staff

Right off the bat I was disappointed-was not properly trained with my job duties. Was expected to work all the time- long hours and pick up extra shifts (if I didn't, I was mad to feel ashamed) with no days off or appreciation and then was fired and not provided with any reasoning behind it. The management clearly does not care to have an open line of communication with their employees and are very passive aggressive rather than confronting a job performance concern when they observe it. Staff are insanely cliquey, supervisor clearly chooses favorites, and not all staff are actually kept in the loop of activities and events planned for the day, but then staff get in trouble for not being prepared for said activities!

Pros

Clients are great, easy going when supervisors aren't present

Cons

extremely high expectations BUT you don't actually know what is expected of you until it's too late

interesting and rewarding

learned to help residence independant living and it was rewarding, I enjoyed my team made my job worthwhile with minimum stress, the support was great

Busy, fun with mixed of stress, happy helping people

Worked at Catholic Social Services with dedication for helping for what they need , guiding them for bette life and support for what they need physically, emotionally and socially.

Terrible

They dont care about your safety and expect you to put your life on the line when working with a dangerous client Pay you extremely poorly for the risks associated

Big organization

Over the years, this organization seems to have gone down hill. Lots of politics in the office, cliquey. If you have an issue with someone and try to sort it out, it seems you get labeled a troublemaker.

Pros

Some team developement

Cons

as frontline, your opinion doesn't matter much.

i do not want to

I will not be filling this out. why request this. and make it mandatory? I will not tell you about a typical work day or what I learned or the horrible management across the board

Large agency in central Alberta

A lot of manger support, diverse programs. fitness gym included in building, security and safe, great clients and program support. Believes in a lot of staff training.

Pros

great training

Cons

a lot of senior management

Good Work Environment

Generally a good place to work. The staff are friendly and management is accessible. Salary could be a little higher, but for a non profit its not that bad.

Children’s Programs in Red Deer

The Youth residential homes in Red Deer are simply amazing to work for. I have had an opportunity to work for most of them and although they can be challenging, the program supervisor gets it. The Program supervisor goes above and beyond, demonstrates the skills we all want to have and if we are asked to do something the program supervisor is always prepared to do the work along side you. It’s clear that this has been passed down to the Service Coordinators in the program and addiontally down to the front line staff. Such a great role model and influence, the program supervisor works quietly in the background to ensure that the child and youth care workers are set up for success, and everyone seems to notice. The whole agency should take note of this style of leadership and mimic this is other programs. The Community Disability workers in other areas in the company would benefit from stronger leadership at times, particularly the more challenging homes. The programs are friendly, fast paced and are typically awe inspiring, CSS children’s management supports the front line staff through the tough stuff. I would recommend the Youth homes to any staff working in the field.

Pros

Friendly, supportive, lots of team bonding, training, program events, management

Cons

Training (agency not program) can take awhile to get into

Css

I have never worked for a company that I have felt more like a team then an employee. This has to be the best company to work for. I would recommend it to anyone.

Pros

amazing staff and management

Great Workplace

Catholic Social Services is a very family orientated company allowing for great work place and home balance. The salary and benefits are a great perk aswell.

Pros

Balance

Cons

Working weekends

it is a good job,

We help get the individual up and ready for there day. Make sure they have their meds and make meal planning's. We also have to clean up there house and make sure they are bathed

Amazing Children’s program.

There is a caring supportive environment for the Child and Youth workers. It is difficult work, but the supervisors are supportive and understanding. It’s a really fun work environment I’m grateful for the learning and experiences here

Pros

Fun co-workers, team environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Catholic Social Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement