Catholic Social Services
Happiness score is 68 out of 100

Catholic Social Services Employee Reviews

Canada101 reviews

I like to work at CSS

Executive and management are many times far from front line staffWe should be get pay a little more People are cool and you can make friends.It is a flexible job.

Expect to get sick from stress

I worked here for a period of time and every day it was stress from management. We the staff were blamed for every little behavior, nothing we did was ever enough and every moment is micromanaged. An individual can be actually physically abusing you and the staff will be chastised. The staff don't matter here, they will tell you that you do but it's simply not true

Cons

Abuse and criticism

management in the children's program

-too much work harassment - no job security - favouritism- no work ethics- especially children's program in Red deer.- client negligence -too much work pressure- no staff appreciation.

Pros

Good co workers

Cons

Overall ..the children's management is bad

Stress, no breaks, bad shifts

Stressful shifts changing every single day so your body can not properly rest. You are paid for the full shift cause you might not be able to have a lunch or a break. Pay close attention to your paystub cause several mistakes were done. Overall with so many companies out there looking for these kind of care giver you might go with someone else.

Pros

Fair wage

Cons

Different shift every day

Challenging but full of fun.

They are fun and a bit challenging workplace. I learned how to deal people with different disabilities with dignity. It taught me lots of patience and widen my knowledge about people with special needs. CSS is a company that treats everybody with respect and equal no matter what your race is. The only hardest part of my job so far is when you deal the individuals behaviours especially if you are new to them. But the most enjoyable part of this job is when you see them happy, satisfied with the care and support you provided to them and most of all, they enjoyed your company

Pros

Benefits are good

Great people to work with but they need to put some energy into their existing staff

The staff here are so nice and i really do mean everyone. The upper management works collaboratively which is great, but that means that nothing happens quickly as we need to let everyone have their say. Then once everyone has their say we have to do it all over again, in case someone changed their mind.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Takes forever to get anything approved, benefits are awful, wage is ok

Not a good experience

Not a good experience. Management was terrible, did not appreciate or respect staff at all. Very hostile work environment. No communication and low pay for work that is required

Children Care

Needs new management. Youth work program needs better management. New management with more experience. Good base pay. Good if you need multiple jobs. Good in other department. HR department needs more experienced workers.

Pros

Great programs for the. Community

Cons

A lot of OT. People need to care about people if they are going to apply.

Enjoyable experience

I learned a lot here while volunteering for the their Summer program for immigrant children. I enjoyed supervising when taking the children for field trips.

Pros

Field trips

Management Does Not Care About Their Front-Line Staff

Right off the bat I was disappointed-was not properly trained with my job duties. Was expected to work all the time- long hours and pick up extra shifts (if I didn't, I was mad to feel ashamed) with no days off or appreciation and then was fired and not provided with any reasoning behind it. The management clearly does not care to have an open line of communication with their employees and are very passive aggressive rather than confronting a job performance concern when they observe it. Staff are insanely cliquey, supervisor clearly chooses favorites, and not all staff are actually kept in the loop of activities and events planned for the day, but then staff get in trouble for not being prepared for said activities!

Pros

Clients are great, easy going when supervisors aren't present

Cons

extremely high expectations BUT you don't actually know what is expected of you until it's too late

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Catholic Social Services?

Appreciative that my personal and professional values aligned with those of the Agency.

Passionate people caring and bringing hope to vulnerable people in need with humility, compassion and respect. Committed to servant leadership, diversity and inclusion.

I was given numerous opportunities to advance with Catholic Social Services. All my supervisors were supportive and encouraging and for the majority of the time I was able to work independently due to the trust built between myself and my supervisors. I was there for 25 years and left due to retirement.

Humanitarian job

At catholic social services, Staff is guided by faith to care for and bring hope to people with humility, compassion and respect. it is a good place to work, Assist the new Canadians in their needs.

Excellent place to work

An excellent work place, very professional environment and with an excellent team. It is a stressful job, but you do get a down time to be able to continue your work day.

interesting and rewarding

learned to help residence independant living and it was rewarding, I enjoyed my team made my job worthwhile with minimum stress, the support was great

Highly Stressful - You can NEVER do enough!

The faith base is so watered down it barely exists at all. Staff morale was very, very low. Wages do not even come close to matching the workload. Resources are ridiculously outdated. Upper management is completely disconnected from middle management and everyone else. While they sit comfortably, we are told we should be there for the heart feel not the wages. Work spaces are overcrowded. If I could give a negative number as a rating, I would.

Would not recommend.

Friendly atmosphere although supervision is very unorganized and has favourites. The departments are segregated and not able to communicate together. Management is not reliable.

Pros

Friendly Atmosphere

Cons

Not Trustworthy-Praise you for the excellent work that you do then let you go.

Busy, fun with mixed of stress, happy helping people

Worked at Catholic Social Services with dedication for helping for what they need , guiding them for bette life and support for what they need physically, emotionally and socially.

Over worked underpaid

Worklife is stressful due to high needs clients. No overtime is paid despite working overtime often. Management doesn't care for frontline staff input. Pay is not worth the stress

Group home workers pay is very poor.

If you’re working nights in their homes just know there are no shift differentials or weekends premiums here. Your paid $ 17.77 flat as fresher in the company slight close to minimum wage. Do janitorial/Nanny jobs eg preparing breakfast , make hourly calls, They don’t trust their employees...Managers come around the homes for overnight checks. Sad place . Look for other jobs not here

Terrible

They dont care about your safety and expect you to put your life on the line when working with a dangerous client Pay you extremely poorly for the risks associated

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Catholic Social Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Catholic Social Services with