Catalyst Paper

Catalyst Paper Employee Reviews for Millwright

Millwright8 reviews
Canada8 reviews
Catalyst paper was a long term employer and for that reason many bad habits are engrained in the work force, the typical day had little structure and effective supervision
Pros
Home every night
Cons
Boring days
Management is so incompetent they interviewed me about a rumour. Very unprofessional! They don’t believe it necessary to interview an employee after 3 months or ever for that matter!
Pros
Umm, none.
Cons
Have to be part of the old boys group to succeed with this company!
Not a bad place to work. Perfect location on the ocean , and the people at the mill are great. Very old infrastructure so it has a falling apart feel to it.
Pros
Lots of OT
Cons
Feeling like it could close at a moments notice
I would Love to work there, and have several times as a contractor and as Gate Hire. But they wont hire me on full time and I've applied four or five times and then they say no sorry you didn't pass our evaluation test and the next day they call me in as Gate Hire to coverage for someone on sick leave for a week that's how they work.
Pros
Full time work
Cons
No full time work
Fun enthusiastic work environment, good knowledgeable tradespeople and staff members. management is willing to get you what you need to do the job. all tradespeople will come together to get the job done.
was recruited for this job. 1st pay cheque was 1550 for 2 weeks. this is bad. was not informed the pension and union dues are 10% of gross.1 year later and im still trying to get my funds out of this union pension. its a bitter workplace and busy body union "brothers" waiting for the chance to throw you under a bus. cant believe this union in 40 years cant even negotiate a benefits card. mailing in scripts and receipts was the last straw. the union negotiated a 10% wage reduction and should have just shut down the pension plan. if this place shuts the pension plan may go broke.
btw i dont have any problems with management.
Pros
its on vancouver island
Cons
its union 1970's all over again
A typical large business. There was plenty of opportunity for one to advance in a chosen field or in some cases change their main line of endeavour. Management and co-workers were easy to get along with, usually very cooperative and willing to share their knowledge and/or ideas. The hardest part of the job was working in the high temperature high humidity areas during the summer. It could sometimes be brutal. As for occupational enjoyment most of us liked it when a plan came together and all the parts were delivered on time so that the major jobs could proceed smoothly.
Pros
pro active safety environment
We are in CCAA. Bankruptcy protection. A typical day is ok good people. What i learned. I teach i have 30 + years experience.Front line management is great.Co-workers are depressed, mad, and bitter .The hardest part of the job is the mood of the place hourly and management. The most enjoyable part are the people.
Pros
good people to work with.
Cons
job is uncertain.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Catalyst Paper?