Catalyst Paper
Catalyst Paper Employee Review

Just Don't

5 December 2018
Terrible place, really poor and depressing culture, no support, mill is being sold off piece by piece, place is rotting and falling apart, nothing gets maintained only fixed if it falls apart and if it is critical, huge safety hazards and nobody cares, fire hazards from garbage and paper and explosive dust all over the place, nobody wants change (you do, you get intimidated), our union leadership makes things worse by fighting with management on everything under the sun just because they want to make a point...

@Keepmoving

@letthemswimintheirowndoo
23 December 2019
Journeyman Electrician/Instrument Mechanic (Former Employee) - Port Alberni, BC
There is great technology integration to work with in the instrumentation and electrical field. Lots of established systems and frameworks make this more of a stable position. The paper industry and catalyst do not pay amazing money however.
3 December 2019
Lead Hand (Former Employee) - Port Alberni, BC
It was a great experience unfortunately I had to try and sell my house back home but I couldn’t I would still be there if I was able
Great group of guys and the staff was great
2 June 2019
Industrial Instrument Mechanic (Current Employee) - Port Alberni, BC
Well known that Catalyst paper was run for years by investors more interested in leeching money from the operations than actually running them properly. The pay is below industry standard. Management is a game of musical chairs, complete lack of leadership and communication.
Day to day is okay, good co workers make all the difference. Most people are really nice.

This Company will take as many hours out of you as you are willing to give, you could live at work. If not for the union protection all the hourly employees would get screwed like the managers do.

No money for maintenance, bare minimum training. Everyone has a shoestring budget and everything is held together with duct tape. Constant rumors of Mill being curtailed or shut down.
Pros
Co workers are good, easy work pace
Cons
Pay is below industry average, deductions are high, no advancement