Catalyst Paper

Catalyst Paper Employee Reviews

Canada49 reviews
Adequate Industry. Lacks Security
New ownership group does not seem to have a committment to the future of the Powell river Facility. Otherwise a challenging and potentiall rewarding place to work. Have been permitted to advance far beyond what I cncieved even 10 years ago.
Terrible Employer
Constant curtailing machines for 1-3 months at a time making it near impossible to get ahead in life. Senior management is a bunch of puppets scared for their jobs and always trying to stab supervisors and hourly guys in the back.
No structure and little organization
Catalyst paper was a long term employer and for that reason many bad habits are engrained in the work force, the typical day had little structure and effective supervision
Pros
Home every night
Cons
Boring days
Out of Touch HR Department
Shortage of experience in senior positions a direct result of not hiring and training when need was highlighted years ago. Now seeing a dangerous level of inexperience in senior positions as workforce ages and retires. How about hiring and training BEFORE senior employees with experience retire or burnout from excessive overtime.
Good Place to work
All in all not a bad place to work, curtailments are an unpleasant fact of life due to fibre shortages but with the economy they are unavoidable. Nice to be working at home!
Easy place to work
There is great technology integration to work with in the instrumentation and electrical field. Lots of established systems and frameworks make this more of a stable position. The paper industry and catalyst do not pay amazing money however.
Tough.
Working for Catalyst was my worst working experience so far. In operator roles there's no consistent schedule. Pay is lame. Working conditions are dangerous. Employees are mostly bitter and miserable with a few really good people here and there.
It was an awesome experience
It was a great experience unfortunately I had to try and sell my house back home but I couldn’t I would still be there if I was able
Great group of guys and the staff was great
Good stepping stone
Terrible management and soap opera culture. Paid the bills for a while until I found something better. A negative environment with uneducated people in charge.
A business in trouble
Good place to work, beautiful area of the world.
The paper industry is struggling, this business in particular has been struggling to recover from bankruptcy for years.
Dont expect anything to be fixed.
Dont expect any real help from the union. Equipment is not maintained safely and should be expected to leak/fail regardless of dangers to workers. Horrible worker morale since contracts.
Pros
Lots of experience fixing things
Cons
Equipment failures are so common its dangerous.
Good People, No money
Well known that Catalyst paper was run for years by investors more interested in leeching money from the operations than actually running them properly. The pay is below industry standard. Management is a game of musical chairs, complete lack of leadership and communication.
Day to day is okay, good co workers make all the difference. Most people are really nice.

This Company will take as many hours out of you as you are willing to give, you could live at work. If not for the union protection all the hourly employees would get screwed like the managers do.

No money for maintenance, bare minimum training. Everyone has a shoestring budget and everything is held together with duct tape. Constant rumors of Mill being curtailed or shut down.
Pros
Co workers are good, easy work pace
Cons
Pay is below industry average, deductions are high, no advancement
Great location and they know it
Could be an amazing place to work if money was reinvested into the mill. Run into the ground with no pm plans and only breakdown maintenance. Too much management not enough workers
Pros
vancouver island
Cons
pay and moral
Great place to have a carreer
Worked there most my life and made good money. Enjoyed the work and especially the co-workers. Good place to raise a family and made enough money to live well.
Pros
Room to advance if you wish too.
Cons
Not too many but strikes are always an issue
Just Don't
Terrible place, really poor and depressing culture, no support, mill is being sold off piece by piece, place is rotting and falling apart, nothing gets maintained only fixed if it falls apart and if it is critical, huge safety hazards and nobody cares, fire hazards from garbage and paper and explosive dust all over the place, nobody wants change (you do, you get intimidated), our union leadership makes things worse by fighting with management on everything under the sun just because they want to make a point...

@Keepmoving

@letthemswimintheirowndoo
Has a wide variety of jobs and experiences ,typical of large industry.
Started my working Career with them at 16 ,part time ,blossomed into full time ,worked through various company change of hands and company names ,progressed from sawmill worker through to transfer to pulp/paper mill division by 29 ,then worked many different jobs over time,then advanced to power engineering with the company provisioned schooling,then on to trade apprenticeship training, worked in Maintenance until personal injury which at the time prevented me from continuing .
went through many changes and had many different experiences over the years, and worked with many different and fascinating people , there was always variety in the work.
Terrible treatment of staff members
An unfortunate place to work with being constantly threatened that the mill is closing to push people into lower standards and more hours. Top mgmt and HR do not appreciate the effort the middle management puts in. Endless hours. Phone calls at all times of night for assistance and blame and finger pointing when operation numbers are not met. Very toxic place to work with the best manager being let go for working non stop and improving the place........
Pros
Decent salary
Cons
No future
Good wokers, bad staff and company
Good group of hourly employees but very bad staff. Boss's are terrible and don't care about the workers. Come here if you want to make lower than industry standard wages and benefits. Nice area tho.
Pros
Nice area and good hourly people
Cons
Bad Staff, lower wages and benefits
Catalyst was a good summer job.
I enjoyed my time at Catalyst. It was an easy job and I liked they people I worked with. I loved my boss and the management; they were easy to approach and listened when I had a problem.
Pros
great pay; easy labour
Cons
early mornings
Great Social Club
The social club that is run by the employees provides many socializing opportunities and always has great events for young children several times per year.
One of the best places to work for
I spent 7-8 months working at the Vancouver office and really enjoyed my time here working for the company.
Good management, good colleagues and good work environment.
Pros
Flexible work hrs
Cons
Can't think of any