Catalyst Paper Employee Reviews

Great Social Club
Environmental Specialist (Current Employee) –  Crofton, BC12 February 2018
The social club that is run by the employees provides many socializing opportunities and always has great events for young children several times per year.
One of the best places to work for
Senior Developer & Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 November 2017
I spent 7-8 months working at the Vancouver office and really enjoyed my time here working for the company.
Good management, good colleagues and good work environment.
Pros
Flexible work hrs
Cons
Can't think of any
Was a good place to work
Worker (Current Employee) –  crouton18 October 2017
The owners of the mill are 3 greedy New York hedge fund companies that don't give care about the workers, the community or the mill itself. Management does not work with employees. They constantly head hunt to try and suspend employees and their safety program is a joke. At this moment the company is fighting with the 2 unions to bring a 2 tier wage system for their pulp operations where they want to pay new employees 17$ per hour for 7 years with out a raise and they want to restructure the 2 tier system that already exists in their paper operations. Tradesmen are paid lower than any other tradesmen in the province and operators make 6-7$ per hour less than any other operator in the pulp and paper industry. This was a great company to work for but has had a steady decline for the past 12 years. The way this company runs its operations, the mill won't last another 7 years. They do very little in the way of preventive maintenance and are running the mill into the ground
Pros
The employees
Cons
The company and management
Good company to work for
Mechanical Engineer Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Port Alberni, BC29 September 2017
The mill was located in Port Alberni which is quite beautiful year round. I was given good, challenging, and interesting work. I learned a lot and would recommend it to a friend
First real job that I had
Paper Machine tech (Former Employee) –  Port Alberni, BC17 August 2017
I received lots of training here being my fist job. We had 3 recovery boilers and 4 Power Boilers. We had 2 pulp machines and 3 Paper machines. By the time I had to leave we were down to 1 paper machine and 1 coated paper machine. 1 Power boiler with another straight gas boiler as backup. This was a good place to work also, the guys I worked with were great. The hardest part was having to leave. The best part was the environment.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Strikes
Maintenance
Red Seal Millwright (Former Employee) –  Crofton, BC17 August 2017
Not a bad place to work. Perfect location on the ocean , and the people at the mill are great. Very old infrastructure so it has a falling apart feel to it.
Pros
Lots of OT
Cons
Feeling like it could close at a moments notice
Over all is a Great Place to work very Safty Orented
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Ladysmith, BC4 May 2017
I would Love to work there, and have several times as a contractor and as Gate Hire. But they wont hire me on full time and I've applied four or five times and then they say no sorry you didn't pass our evaluation test and the next day they call me in as Gate Hire to coverage for someone on sick leave for a week that's how they work.
Pros
Full time work
Cons
No full time work
Great place to learn many aspects of jobs @ Catalyst
Catalyst Employee (Former Employee) –  Crofton, BC7 April 2017
Would advise anyone to work there...as the work experience is something you would not fine anywhere else. They also give you courses to advance in your employment..
Pros
The Cafeteria was amazing
enjoyed the people I worked with. Good enviroment
Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BC12 July 2016
First class operation. Shut down way too early. Could have survived with better planning. Spent 28 years there. Community Company.
Pros
People
Cons
Try as hard as you my Cant do enough
Great place to work, has lots of employees that are great to work with
Barge Offloader (Current Employee) –  Powell River, BC21 April 2016
Great job, Grat place, great location. Almost everything a person can enjoy is in Powell River..and the paper mill is a very high paid job.
Good place to learn a trade
Journeyman Steam/Pipefitter (Current Employee) –  Powell River, BC14 February 2016
Knowledgeable trades and operations personnel. Safety culture is changing and trying to become world class but has some way to go. Hopefully it will be achieved.
Very unprofessional environment.
Mechanical Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Powell River, BC27 October 2015
Senior management team bullies and intimidates employees. Job culture is still 30years behind. Management team back stabs one another. Very unprofessional place to work. In a rating to other places of employment 3 put of 10!
Cons
Long hours/ no appreciation to going above and beyond.
Challenging
Shutdown coordinator for 2011 power boiler outage (Former Employee) –  Powell River & Crofton, BC11 September 2015
I found the company was strong on its safety focus but sometimes, it became difficult to understand its business model.
During my period of contract work, the company went thru a financial restructuring process in 2012 that lead to reduction and elimination of my contract opportunities.
Pros
Qualified people with strong knowledge of their industry
Cons
Lack of employment stability
fun envierment
Maintenance Millwright (Current Employee) –  Port Alberni B.C.6 September 2015
Fun enthusiastic work environment, good knowledgeable tradespeople and staff members. management is willing to get you what you need to do the job. all tradespeople will come together to get the job done.
Interesting and professional company to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 August 2015
Fun and professional atmosphere. Management were very supportive and co-workers worked great as a team. It was a very upbeat environment to work in.
Pros
Free lunch when meetings were over.
Cons
Could be long hours
Keep looking
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Crofton, BC10 April 2015
I have never worked in such a run down place in my life. Everybody seems miserable and not happy to be there. The housekeeping is non existent. Quality standards (or the lack thereof) result in a lot of rework and downtime. Great spot, need somebody to steer the ship in the right direction.
No don't do it.
Trades (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island20 October 2014
Cheap labor. Top management and HR doesn't care. No job security.
Pros
on the island
Cons
cheap no respect for workers
give me a break
electrician (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BC18 August 2014
if you are a yes man you have come to the right place
if you have tunnel vision this job is for you.
if you hear no evil speak no evil and see no evil . you are ready for management.
if you are a total screw up and useless then you have a great chance for advancement.
Pros
pay is good and holidays etc
Cons
too many to list
not bad, but union pension and benefits are bad
millwright (Former Employee) –  crofton19 May 2014
was recruited for this job. 1st pay cheque was 1550 for 2 weeks. this is bad. was not informed the pension and union dues are 10% of gross.1 year later and im still trying to get my funds out of this union pension. its a bitter workplace and busy body union "brothers" waiting for the chance to throw you under a bus. cant believe this union in 40 years cant even negotiate a benefits card. mailing in scripts and receipts was the last straw. the union negotiated a 10% wage reduction and should have just shut down the pension plan. if this place shuts the pension plan may go broke.
btw i dont have any problems with management.
Pros
its on vancouver island
Cons
its union 1970's all over again
A good company, working in a difficult market.
Maintenance Planner (Former Employee) –  Powell River, BC11 March 2014
This is a company working hard to adapt to a changing market place. Many skilled and hard working people at this site, however the isolation of the location makes it challenging to get resources and people. I enjoyed my time there and learned a great deal, having come from a different industry. The most difficult part was learning the new equipment and processes. The best part was the support of the co-workers at the work site, and the friendly small town environment.
Pros
Supportive co-workers and good training programs.
Cons
Old site and equipment. Lots of updating needed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Catalyst Paper. Our community is ready to answer.