Catalyst Paper Employee Reviews

Terrible treatment of staff members
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Powell River, BC15 August 2018
An unfortunate place to work with being constantly threatened that the mill is closing to push people into lower standards and more hours. Top mgmt and HR do not appreciate the effort the middle management puts in. Endless hours. Phone calls at all times of night for assistance and blame and finger pointing when operation numbers are not met. Very toxic place to work with the best manager being let go for working non stop and improving the place........
Pros
Decent salary
Cons
No future
Good wokers, bad staff and company
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Port Alberni, BC1 July 2018
Good group of hourly employees but very bad staff. Boss's are terrible and don't care about the workers. Come here if you want to make lower than industry standard wages and benefits. Nice area tho.
Pros
Nice area and good hourly people
Cons
Bad Staff, lower wages and benefits
Just Don't
Worker (Former Employee) –  Port Alberni, BC5 December 2018
Terrible place, really poor and depressing culture, no support, mill is being sold off piece by piece, place is rotting and falling apart, nothing gets maintained only fixed if it falls apart and if it is critical, huge safety hazards and nobody cares, fire hazards from garbage and paper and explosive dust all over the place, nobody wants change (you do, you get intimidated), our union leadership makes things worse by fighting with management on everything under the sun just because they want to make a point...

@Keepmoving
@letthemswimintheirowndoo
Was a good place to work
Worker (Current Employee) –  crouton18 October 2017
The owners of the mill are 3 greedy New York hedge fund companies that don't give care about the workers, the community or the mill itself. Management does not work with employees. They constantly head hunt to try and suspend employees and their safety program is a joke. At this moment the company is fighting with the 2 unions to bring a 2 tier wage system for their pulp operations where they want to pay new employees 17$ per hour for 7 years with out a raise and they want to restructure the 2 tier system that already exists in their paper operations. Tradesmen are paid lower than any other tradesmen in the province and operators make 6-7$ per hour less than any other operator in the pulp and paper industry. This was a great company to work for but has had a steady decline for the past 12 years. The way this company runs its operations, the mill won't last another 7 years. They do very little in the way of preventive maintenance and are running the mill into the ground
Pros
The employees
Cons
The company and management
Catalyst was a good summer job.
Tugger Driver (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC14 June 2018
I enjoyed my time at Catalyst. It was an easy job and I liked they people I worked with. I loved my boss and the management; they were easy to approach and listened when I had a problem.
Pros
great pay; easy labour
Cons
early mornings
not bad, but union pension and benefits are bad
millwright (Former Employee) –  crofton19 May 2014
was recruited for this job. 1st pay cheque was 1550 for 2 weeks. this is bad. was not informed the pension and union dues are 10% of gross.1 year later and im still trying to get my funds out of this union pension. its a bitter workplace and busy body union "brothers" waiting for the chance to throw you under a bus. cant believe this union in 40 years cant even negotiate a benefits card. mailing in scripts and receipts was the last straw. the union negotiated a 10% wage reduction and should have just shut down the pension plan. if this place shuts the pension plan may go broke.
btw i dont have any problems with management.
Pros
its on vancouver island
Cons
its union 1970's all over again
Safety orientated, good place to work until debt load and CCAA
Utilities manager (Current Employee) –  Port Alberni, B.C. Canada7 March 2012
Same location of work, 1 owner 1971 to 1998, 3 different owners 1998 to 2012. Company very good for most of my working life. When market turned down and debt increased; benefits declined, workload increased, moral decreased and maint harder to manage.
Pros
tried to treat employees good as long as possible
Cons
as debt increased, very senior staff personnel were very hard hit.
horible pay and benefits
4th class power engineer (Current Employee) –  catalyst13 October 2013
absolutle garbage pay is below all other comparible industries. recently went in for a eye exam and I couldn't believe i was expected to pay for the exam in a unilon pulp mill. horrible worker manigment realationship and I hate my boss who is quite the liar.
Pros
no pros
Cons
lowest industry wage, bad benefits no money for maitenaince and can't attract trades workers.
Very Depressing negative atmosphere wages to be cut 10% may 1 as well as holidays and holiday pay
Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) –  Crofton20 April 2012
Its a very negative, very poorly managed company . The company is presently in CCAA basically bankrupt. Wages and benefits being cut by 10% may 1 st. The future does not look good. Alot of maintenance staff are leaving. Just no future.
Pros
vancouver island
Cons
too many to list
One of the best places to work for
Senior Developer & Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 November 2017
I spent 7-8 months working at the Vancouver office and really enjoyed my time here working for the company.
Good management, good colleagues and good work environment.
Pros
Flexible work hrs
Cons
Can't think of any
Great Social Club
Environmental Specialist (Current Employee) –  Crofton, BC12 February 2018
The social club that is run by the employees provides many socializing opportunities and always has great events for young children several times per year.
Very unprofessional environment.
Mechanical Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Powell River, BC27 October 2015
Senior management team bullies and intimidates employees. Job culture is still 30years behind. Management team back stabs one another. Very unprofessional place to work. In a rating to other places of employment 3 put of 10!
Cons
Long hours/ no appreciation to going above and beyond.
Worst company to work for on the coast...
Tradesman (Former Employee) –  Crofton, BC27 January 2014
I worked there for 22 years doing various jobs prior to leaving as a journeyman tradesman...Front line supervision was awesome, but that's as far as anything good goes...five name changes in the time I was there, the constant threat of shutdown if the union didn't capitulate to the company's constant demands...upper management that were yes men, mill managers that were bullies and a general feeling of discontent at every turn... I left prior to the wage cut that now makes them the lowest paid union trades workforce on the coast...
Wouldn't recommend this this company to anyone!!!
Pros
excellent trades group
Cons
union busting idiots at the helm...HR department that is despicable
I do not wish to review this company
Power engineer/Millwright (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BC13 August 2012
A typical large business. There was plenty of opportunity for one to advance in a chosen field or in some cases change their main line of endeavour. Management and co-workers were easy to get along with, usually very cooperative and willing to share their knowledge and/or ideas. The hardest part of the job was working in the high temperature high humidity areas during the summer. It could sometimes be brutal. As for occupational enjoyment most of us liked it when a plan came together and all the parts were delivered on time so that the major jobs could proceed smoothly.
Pros
pro active safety environment
Interesting and professional company to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 August 2015
Fun and professional atmosphere. Management were very supportive and co-workers worked great as a team. It was a very upbeat environment to work in.
Pros
Free lunch when meetings were over.
Cons
Could be long hours
First real job that I had
Paper Machine tech (Former Employee) –  Port Alberni, BC17 August 2017
I received lots of training here being my fist job. We had 3 recovery boilers and 4 Power Boilers. We had 2 pulp machines and 3 Paper machines. By the time I had to leave we were down to 1 paper machine and 1 coated paper machine. 1 Power boiler with another straight gas boiler as backup. This was a good place to work also, the guys I worked with were great. The hardest part was having to leave. The best part was the environment.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Strikes
give me a break
electrician (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BC18 August 2014
if you are a yes man you have come to the right place
if you have tunnel vision this job is for you.
if you hear no evil speak no evil and see no evil . you are ready for management.
if you are a total screw up and useless then you have a great chance for advancement.
Pros
pay is good and holidays etc
Cons
too many to list
as a politcal move to reduce wages they closed the one of 4 sites that made them a profit
Header Operator (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BC25 January 2014
I worked a 4x4 shift. ( 2days, 2 nights) 12hour shifts 3.5 days off. the hours worked well as they were implemented threw employee input.On going safety training was extensive in an effort to always keep the work place somewhere safe to be. Moral was high till the end which I feel contributed to a low injure to man hours rate. Training was extensive and on going in WHMIS, Fall Arrest, Confined Space Entry, Hatch Watch Safety, LPG Filling (by volume), OSHA, Forklift and Pre-inspection along with monthly tour rotation and weekly/daily departmental safety meetings.Your co-workers were like a 2nd family and tended to work very well together. he hardest part of the job that I did was standing in one spot doing repetitive work for long periods of time (feet tend to get sore on vibrating steel decking). The best part was time usual went by quickly as there was always things to be tended to keeping one very busy. the shift work also aloud for lots of family time at home when not working overtime.
Good company to work for
Mechanical Engineer Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Port Alberni, BC29 September 2017
The mill was located in Port Alberni which is quite beautiful year round. I was given good, challenging, and interesting work. I learned a lot and would recommend it to a friend
A good company, working in a difficult market.
Maintenance Planner (Former Employee) –  Powell River, BC11 March 2014
This is a company working hard to adapt to a changing market place. Many skilled and hard working people at this site, however the isolation of the location makes it challenging to get resources and people. I enjoyed my time there and learned a great deal, having come from a different industry. The most difficult part was learning the new equipment and processes. The best part was the support of the co-workers at the work site, and the friendly small town environment.
Pros
Supportive co-workers and good training programs.
Cons
Old site and equipment. Lots of updating needed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Catalyst Paper. Our community is ready to answer.