Castrol Raceway Employee Reviews

Not a bad place to work
Food prep, wash dishes, Hot line, Cold line (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB16 June 2019
I loved working here! But I worked here for over a month but only had got 1 pay and it wasn't even on time! Had to fight to get it. The people are friendly to work with and I made a few good friends here.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
didnt get paid regularly or on time
Great Summer Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 March 2019
Great summer job who students, or someone looking to make extra money, however it is poorly managed. Everything is overpriced there which is unofortunate for families who do not have high incomes.
Pros
tips on top of hourly wage
Cons
long hours, and poorly run
dont bother

long hours in summer

high turnover

no benefits or raises

no overtime

long commute to work and back

Terrible environment, not stable and they take half your tips
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 June 2018
You are constantly fighting for your money, and at the end of the night the house takes a massive tip out. Their tip outs are based on the sales not the tips so if you make 7000 in sales thats usually almost all your tips.
Pros
You get a discount on some of the food
Cons
They take half your tips
Drag staff (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB10 August 2017
While I am working at the racetrack. I have learned how to be patient with people and How safety is always #1.

We put in long days during the summer and I have lots most of my summer weekends. But that is ok, because I really like my job and the people that I work with.
Cons
Long hours in the sun or rain
It's a great experience being part of a crew, nice to work outside.
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 June 2017
Being at castrol Raceway is a great way to get some work experience. If you're looking into the automotive industry, I recommend this as volunteer work. I'm not a paid employee, as this is volunteer work during the summer. But I really love being it at this track. It's always a great time.
Pros
Free lunch, good interaction, socially friendly, fun
Cons
Hot weather, sometimes stressful, can be extremely difficult to handle
It was a great summer volunteer experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2017
This allowed me to encounter many different types of people and I learned lots about handling cash and being up front with people in a polite way. This gave me group skills.
Pros
new people
Cons
late nights
cars
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2016
I love Mondays, mostly because the day flies by in a flash. On a given day, during the early hours you will find me speaking to the clients, finding out – proactively – what their priorities are for the week, meeting with team for half hour to communicate the clients’ needs and organizing the team schedules around the client’s priorities. I do this on Monday so that the rest of the week is well organized and we can effectively use our team’s time in exceeding client’s expectations and avoid Friday evening surprises.
Pros
cars
Only for people in the Nisku/Devon area
Maintenance and Drag Strip Staff (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, A.B.4 August 2015
Monday - Friday (Maintenance)
Janitorial duties, facility/track and equipment maintenance, facility restoration projects and construction, electrical wiring and troubleshooting, lanscaping, and assembling structures and tents for events and showcases.

Friday - Sunday, every 2nd Wednesday, and durring rentals (Drag)
Top End (of the 1/4 mile) safety, stagging of the racers and distributing ladder information, water box duties, and start line duties.
Pros
Great deals on concession and admitance, working at a Race Track, dont need training to use equipment
Cons
no paid overtime, dangerous/hazardous workplace, expected to use own vehicle on work property(not for racing)
Poor Communications
accountant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 February 2015
Lack of management support. Weak communication skills. Too high of volume of work, no additional support staff to lesson the work load.
Pros
Get to go to the races for free.
Cons
Long Hours high Volume of work- no management support