Cassellholme Employee Reviews

3.7Pay & Benefits
2.7Job Security & Advancement
Worst possible place to work.
Psw (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON2 November 2018
I worked at cassellholme for a short time and I must say, I would rather risk living in a box on the street then working another day at their facility. Residents are giving a number of depends per day and are not to be changed unless 80% solid. Should you require more, you then must go to the RN to ensure it is okay to provide another. The staff are working in a very toxic environment. I’ve never seen a moral so low.
Pros
Residents are a joy to care for.
Cons
Everything else
Housekeeping
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON1 November 2018
Working at Cassellholme was a pleasure until about 2016. It was always fast-paced and demanding, however over the years it became a job of unrealistic expectations. You have 12hrs of work to do in an 8hr period, and its disgusting and saddening because the residents end up suffering.

Besides the workload, the management team have zero interest in tackling workplace bullying and harassment. As long as you show up and fake a smile, you will never be repremanded for a complete lack of work ethic or ability. If you work hard and make any complaints about bullying or harassment, you're automatically on the outs.

The work enivronment is so stressful, over 50% of the staff have taken stress leave at least once while working there. If you have a second job because the hours are insufficient, again you are frowned upon.

Working at Cassellholme is like working at the zoo, except the staff are caged in and managment are the animals, running loose with no idea how to run a successful business in an ever so demanding industry.

If there were more options for LTC homes, Cassellholme wouldn't even be running. Luckily for Cassellholme, they always have a heads up before the health inspectors come.
Pros
Wages and Residents
Cons
Everything else
Residents are a pleasure to work with.
Manager of Nutrition & Food Services (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON13 March 2018
Staff are friendly, outgoing. Residents make it a pleasure. Reporting to the Ministry was stressful but kept you on your toes. I managed 45 union staff and they were a pleasure to work with.
Pros
Come and go as needed.
Cons
Some duties had to be completed on a time frame so worked long hours when needed.
Enjoyable and friendly place to work
Nurses Aide/Personal support worker (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON7 December 2016
Enjoyable place to work, very helpful coworkers. I learned time management, the hardest part of the job was the lifting and transferring of residents and having to work night shifts. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the residents and it was a very rewarding job to know I made a difference in someone's life by providing care and help with their everyday tasks.
Fast paced pleasant work place
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON21 October 2015
I thoroughly enjoy working as an RPN at Cassellholme. I work in a fast paced environment but I still have time to develop therapeutic relationships with my clients. All members of the health care team work well and hard together to provide our clients with the best care they deserve.
A decent wage but too many "required " tasks that are not directly related to resident care.
Personal support Worker (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON29 July 2015
The workplace does not leave you with a feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day. Staff are required to finish tasks that are not directly related to patients care and therefore care is compromised. Charting is needed however far too much of the charting is not directly related to the resident which means you are answering unnecessary questions on %50 of the charts .cleaning closets and bedside tables should be relegated to laundry and housekeeping staff to free up time for psws to do actual care. pushing snack carts around the halls and handing out snacks should be relegated to kitchen staff which would save psws almost an hour per shift. Checking and signing lifts should be relegated to maintenance staff. The amount of residents per caregiver/psw needs to be more reasonable. It,s not about being unwilling to work its about not being rushed so staff can spend a reasonable amount of time with each resident.
Intense, high-pace workplace with a lot of room for learning and team work.
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON16 December 2014
A typical day is very busy. I am mainly a med nurse - handing out medications for the majority of my day. I have scheduled dressing changes on various days and have various assessments to conduct on a regular basis.

A great part of my job experience and learning opportunity has been the time management aspect. With about 36 residents to see in a timely manner multiple times per day, it is easy to fall behind. This job has allowed me to become efficient in handing out medications properly, fitting in my dressing changes as the day goes on and dealing with new challenges as they develop.

I work with 1 RN and an RPN during the day and on a night shift I am the only RPN on my floor. The day staff also consists of 7 (or fewer) PSWs. We work short often, which makes time management even more crucial.

The hardest part of the job is keeping on top of the multitude of medications that must be administered in a timely manner and fitting in the various dressing changes or finding time to finish the documentation when a fall or new skin tear occurs. I sometimes find myself staying up to half an hour after work to finish the documentation in these situations.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the fast pace environment. I love how fast my day goes by and how nice it is to see the difference a positive attitude can make in these people's world. The families often make comments about how i must really like my job, and every time it makes me realize how much more I enjoy it as I am developing as a nurse.
Pros
busy days, lots of calls to work, making a difference in people's lives, flexible hours, friendly staff
Cons
Very few scheduled shifts (lots of call ins), can be overwhelmingly busy at times, staying late to finish documentation