Casino Rama Employee Reviews

Easy work with good coworkers.
Player Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rama, ON23 November 2018
Great job to have, coworkers are the best. However you will be part time for years before they ever even consider bumping you to full time.

Free lunch.
It's a job
First Cook (Current Employee) –  Rama Road, ON18 November 2018
You go in, get your uniform from wardrobe. Then head to which ever outlet you're scheduled to be in. Pre-shift debriefing meeting for the day. Work your station(s) for eight hours, then go home.
Benefits
Cons
You're a number
High expectations, little reward
Ontario - Food and beverage server (Current Employee) –  Rama, ON3 November 2018
Management does not know what is going on half of the time. A lot of the patrons are miserable. Unionized positions make it worse, especially when pulled into a meeting and the union rep is completely unfamiliar with your department.
Pros
you meet some amazing people
Cons
cafeteria food is horrid
Team Spirit
Lead Environmental Services Department (EVS) (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON2 November 2018
Over 15 years met many friends in an upbeat, caring, environment. The company had a proven track record in training and cross training their employees. As it was a 365 day resort. The Casino Rama management took extra efforts to boost the morale of staff, through celebrations and menu planning and staff potlucks too on special occasions. Christmas was turkeys for everyone and Thanksgiving too. Ham for Easter :) Those not wishing to take one gave theirs to the Sharing Place Food Bank
Pros
Free Concert Tickets, monthly service draws
Cons
Shift Work
Server
Server (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON24 October 2018
Great place to work. Enjoyed working in a fast paced exciting atmosphere. Ive celebrated 20 years with this company I believe you should give this a try.
Pros
Patrons
Rama
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON2 September 2018
Rama is a good place to work if you can leave your mind and the door and just do job to make money. Ypu will never be more then a number to them so just do job and go home and will be fine
12 October 2018

C.R.E.W. members are actively engaged in the success of Casino Rama Resort and bring their ‘A’ game to work on a consistent basis.

If their job is technical in nature they work diligently to “get it right the first time.” If their focus is customer service then they actively listen and respond to the needs of our clients. Our various meetings note many ideas and suggestions that are brought forth and acted upon. C.R.E.W. members indicate they are very proud to work at Casino Rama Resort. Over 50% of our C.R.E.W. members have been employed for 10 years or longer.

Unfortunately we do need to assign everyone Badge ID #’s. With thousands of C.R.E.W. it would be impossible to ensure accuracy when helping the over 20 Chris or 14 Donna that work here.

What I can tell you is that last week one of the 14 James thanked me for listening to an idea they had on scheduling and one of our 12 Amanda’s and I were joking about how much time we were spending at the hockey rink. Two C.R.E.W. members (names withheld) recently experienced a very tragic loss and their colleagues and leaders are doing what they can to assist. Our hearts are breaking for them.

We came together recently and raised over $8,000 for the Children’s Wish Foundation.

I’m sorry your experience wasn’t the same as so many others.

Fun place to work, excellent managers/supervisors, I would refer everyone I know to work here!
Server - (Former Employee) –  Rama, ON7 August 2018
An amazing place to work I’ve been an employee for 9+ years, this is an excellent place to work! There are plenty of opportunities to work in several departments, you can manipulate your schedule and you get free lunches!
14 September 2018

The opportunity for most roles to maneuver your schedule is important. We continue to update options in our scheduling program that allow staff to take advantage of opportunities to switch or give-away shifts to tailor their schedules. And yes, Turtle Island staff cafeteria is great.

Exciting atmosphere, great people and career growth opportunities!
Organizational Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON22 June 2018
Where do I start...how about the free all-you-can-eat buffet every shift, a big staff appreciation day with rides for kids, food tents, live entertainment, great benefits, pension, rewards, educational reimbursement, etc. and that's just some of the ways this great company invests in their staff, they also provide free training and development opportunities for staff to learn new skills including leadership skills to help with their career growth!
Pros
A real career lives north of the GTA!
Cons
None!
Good place to work for a start and maybe even career starting
Kitchen services (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON14 June 2018
great place to work if I could I would try again but believe I should try something different as it wasn’t exactly for me but that’s just one department there are many to try
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not steady hours for first part
long nights, no productivity
MEDICAL FIRST RESPONDER/ SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee) –  Rama, ON4 June 2018
This isn't the job for someone who needs to be busy all the time. The night shift is long and vey dead business wise. The employees think they are in high school, cliques. The management would prefer to sit in their offices and delegate tasks instead of coming and personalizing the conversation. Unless you are fulltime there are rarely advances for part time employees within the same department, and then you have competition because everyone is applying for the same job. Not the ideal place to work for family orientated people.
Decent work environment
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON15 May 2018
Job is OK but little chance of moving and no benefits.
Typical day is picking a lot of orders.
Have learned nothing new.
Management is helpful most of the time.
Hardest part is the physical requirements.
Most enjoyable part is free lunch.
Pros
Good food
Cons
physical demands
24 May 2018

In 2017 over 250 current employees were successful in transferring to a new position. In addition we have regular training opportunities posted for current employees to gain experience in other positions.

Most part-time employees have more than 1 position they can work in to allow maximization of hours and experience a different role.

Lunch is great…employee’s only pay the taxable benefit for their shift-meal which they take in our Turtle Island employee restaurant.

Please visit our Facebook page for more details on the many employment opportunities and benefits that we provide!

Just a number
Kitchen Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON26 April 2018
If you are just looking for a pay check and nothing else, working at Casino Rama is certainly the right place. With little to no mentorship, I would not suggest working here if you are the type of person who wants to improve your skills and move up in your career. Supervisors have zero authority, they are simply baby sitters who relay information to the staff from the manager. Unionized environment adds to tension between managent and staff. The general morale of the employees is quite low because nobody truly cares about them. When I started here it was a busy and fun place to work and bad leadership combined with a declining economy drove it into the ground.
Pros
Free staff cafeteria, free turkeys/ham on holidays, easy to build up vacation time
Cons
Not rewarding, bad management, you are just a number
1 May 2018

This last year we are very proud that over 80% of our 35 + leadership vacancies were filled by internal applicants.

Those leaders worked hard to earn those promotions and through ensuring daily coaching, positive communication and timely feedback have engaged their team members.

The most recent employee engagement survey score for Kitchen Services shows an overall score of above 85%. Bravo!!!

This included department specific leadership questions including;
My immediate supervisor gives me regular feedback on my performance (87%)
My immediate supervisor keeps team members informed about important property matters 89%)
When I do an excellent job, my accomplishments are recognized (86%)

Leaders are provided with on-site training and development opportunities as well can access our Tuition Reimbursement program.

Room for advancement if you work hard
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rama, ON23 April 2018
There are lots of room for advancement if you are a good and conscientious worker.

Grave shifts are obviously not popular but there are a lot of positions that have decent hours like the F&B outlets that are not open 24 hours.
Pros
Employee meals at cafetaria
Cons
Grave shifts
Great Teamwork
Operations Accountant (Current Employee) –  Rama, ON13 March 2018
Great place to work with helpful coworkers. I enjoy my position and the management is great at resolving situations. The flexibility of the position is great also.
Environmental Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orillia,Ont12 March 2018
Always be positive and treat everyone the way you want to be treated. The employees will respect you. Everyone liked me as I listened to them. They knew I would jump in and do the work along beside them.
26 March 2018

It sounds like you were really proud of your team. It is easy to be proud of the C.R.E.W. members at Casino Rama, they do a great job. We try to celebrate as much as possible and in February we beat the previous years' overall customer service score from the customer satisfaction survey. When this occurs in a month we often have a special menu at our Turtle Island Staff Dining Room (all you pay is the taxable benefit), which is what we did last weekend.

Diversity and Opportunity
Human Resources Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Rama, ON21 February 2018
Casino Rama Resort Is a great place to work. The company does lots to keep the staff engaged. Monthly events, BBQ's, and a great Christmas party.

The Staff restaurant is amazing and not having to pack a lunch eat day is great!
Worst place to work
Aesthetician (Former Employee) –  Hotel20 February 2018
Was employed as aesthetician. I have 13 years experience and the employed me all summer every weekend. Then they started reporting complaints about me when the work slowed down just before your probation is up so the union can't protect you. Oh so wrong in every way. Catty fellow workers. Hard to break into the clique. Wanna work here as an aesthetician. Forget it my advice.
Pros
Decent equipment and product
Cons
Fellow workers very catty and talk behind your back
23 March 2018

Thank you for sharing your opinion about Casino Rama Resort.

As noted under article 12.03 of the current collective agreement “The Employer may not terminate a probationary employee in an arbitrary, discriminatory or bad faith manner.”

We are very proud of our team of Esthetician who provide excellent service to our customers and overall have an average length of service with Casino Rama Resort of over 5 years. Our customers really like our C.R.E.W. as well, about 83% of the services provided at our resort are for repeat clientele.

We only want the best and that is what our team is. In a recent employee engagement survey the team indicated they scored 87% in overall engagement.

Our Estheticians are compensated with a base rate starting at $14.00 per hour, receiving an additional 50 cents per hour increase at 1800 hours worked and then another at 3600 hours worked. In addition our Estheticians receive a commission which in 2017 averaged at $10.22 per hour. Estheticians are provided with a uniform. But that is not all.

As a C.R.E.W. member at Casino Rama Resort, Estheticians receive;
- Paid Time Off (vacation + sick days + extra) at a rate of over 6% of their hours worked, with increases at 5 years and 10 years.
- Once they are eligible, enrollment in our health benefits and pension programs.
- Shift meal where all you pay is the taxable benefit of the meal.
- Access to our scheduling programs that allows you to swap or giveaway shifts to assist in managing your schedule.
- Be part of our fabulous recognition and reward program, and much more.

The Customer is always right, even when they are wrong. Beware
Table Games Dealer (Former Employee) –  Ontario2 February 2018
If you're looking for a 24/7 company to work for in Lake Country. This would be ideal for someone looking for a part-time job.
Most PT positions are for the evening & the grave shifts.
Eventually you will run into a player (Gambler) that will have a bad day.
The best thing is just to smile and wish them luck and exit that conversation if possible. Unless your a table games dealer.
The management team are friendly but they do have a job to do and quota's to meet. They are required to do evaluations on all employees and keep extensive day to day notes on employees.
ie: Employee requested to use the washroom 3 times today, Employee called out sick on 2 fridays in 2017. One in January. One in October. If you called out for a 3rd friday in that year. You have developed a "Pattern" and are subjected to discipline.

It's a big company with big problems, big time!
Pros
Paid meals, frequent breaks for dealers only
Cons
Management, employee moral due to management.
11 April 2018

Casino Rama Resort has many different types of part-time roles that would suit someone who is looking for just part-time work or someone who wants to eventually move into a full-time role. Just last year we had over 200 full-time vacancies filled by internal applicants.

Our most outstanding C.R.E.W. members (employees) are those who exude our core values of Teamwork, Quality, Respect, Integrity and Heart.

Should be fun place to work
Table Games Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rama, ON1 February 2018
The casino is a 24 hour business, 365 days a year. They do pay well, but it is not easy to relate to the real world when you get two days off in the middle of the week. It has its advantages but more disadvantages.
Pros
money is good
Cons
very negative vibes
2 April 2018

We get it and it would be easy for us to say that all organizations that operate 24 / 7 / 365 face this difficulty and leave it as that.

Instead we have invested in a robust scheduling platform that empowers employees to have some flexibility with their schedules. Employees can request shift exchanges (swap), ask someone to pick-up a shift or pick-up additional shifts.

This can be done on-site or remotely.

On average per year the following occurs;
• Shift swaps = over 30,000 per year
• Shift giveaways = Over 26,000 per year

Lighthearted workplace with massive growth potential.
Human Resources Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Rama, ON31 January 2018
I truly enjoy the workplace culture at Casino Rama. We always have fun and there is lots of experience available for those who want to seek it out. Great entry to my career in Human Resources and I have gained an extensive set of skills and capabilities from my role.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Casino Rama. Our community is ready to answer.

Casino Rama Reviews by Location