Cascades Recovery + (Cascades Inc.)

Cascades Recovery + (Cascades Inc.) Employee Reviews

Canada19 reviews
Physically fatigues and mentally draining
Good overall get by till you find something better job but it is not for everyone and is physically demanding not overall strength wise but stamina and endurance
Pros
Two 30 min breaks and free coffee
Cons
Repetitive and no real accomplishment at the end of a day
Please do not work here
The manager is a bully, and the employees are to scared to say anything. Anytime HR rolls around, and implements new exciting things, the manager quickly tells us the next day that it doesn't apply to our branch.
He bullies people into forced overtime, if you refuse, he berates you in front of the other staff. He yells, and tears the employees down. The manager also threatens you with taking your holidays/vacation days away/ and not paying them out.The drivers are forced into a pay contract that doesn't pay them fairly for the actual hours and overtime that they work. It is a stressful environment because of that individual.
Pros
non
Cons
lots
Stay away
If you really hate yourself this is the place to be! Poor management that don’t care!
Equipment that can’t stay running and when it brakes down they act shocked stay away from here! If you want to be treated like a Peon this is the place!
Not a bad job
Working as a scale operator has been a good job, like any workplace there are some issues (mostly communication) but ever since we had a shift in the management it's been fixing itself slowly. This is the first job where I feel like I am fairly paid for the amount of worn that I do. It's not high paying but you don't have many responsibilities. Overall it's a good place to work and your hard work is appreciated so long as you don't get complacent.
Decent pay bad management hard on your body as a driver
Management is a disaster, nobody takes accountability, your left waiting days to speak to someone Pay is decent for a driver but only because OT is after 44 regular time not so good
Equipment is bad and don’t wreck your back for this recycling company
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Hard on your body (as a driver)
Millwrights be warned under-paid & disrespect
DO NOT apply to this company as a Millwright. You will be treated by management like a peasant. No respect for the time you've put in to achieve your certifications, because:
"you didn't go to university" -quote from HR.

Expect you to survive on below average Canadian millwright's wage in the most expensive city in Canada, Ask for a raise like my apprentice did, and be told "You're not a real Millwright"

Everyone at the plant will tell you, They go through millwrights here like pigs at a slaughter house.

Expect you to do electrical, and mobile equipment work, yet pay you at the lowest possible end of the scale.

Save yourself the time, energy and stress, and find a company with management that appreciates their maintenance crew and realizes that without maintenance, machines break, when machines break, you loose money, and your nice desk job with it.
Pros
not many
Cons
Low wage, Terrible management
Ok place its repetitive which can be good
I was a AZ driver for the etobicoke location didn't have any issues but with management I did and I'm a very easy going person , if you work for cascades make sure to cover your a** everyway possible ,because the managers always blame you no matter what for everything be expected to work 12-14 hours everyday to , low pay, long hours and no respect for there workers
Pros
Cons
Lots especially craig huge a**
Good place to work, GREAT people and management that cares
This is a great place to work, decent pay, great benefits and even paid sick time.
Of course it is a recycling plant, so expect it to be what it is. But the supervisors and mangers are great, as well as all of my coworkers. It's like a big family. They take the time to listen and help when they can.

The only downside is that that plant is open air. So cold in the winter and hot in the summer, but they give us winter gear and free hot coffee in the winter and cold treats in the summer.

I also see that they just bought 2 brand new trucks in transportation, so we must be doing good and planning for a long future!
Pros
The people, by far it's the people
Cons
Cold in the winter. Bad union, but not needed
Challenging work but worth it!
The Recyling Industry is not always the most glamorous but it is rewarding for the environment.. I worked at the recycling plant and also at the transfer stations we were running at the time. Good group of people. Great benefits and gave me a great environment to learn and grow as a person. Will never forget my time there.
Thankless job with inept union
If you show up everyday you will have a job if yoy work hard the most you will receive is a pay cheque has many internal job posting no point of applying as they keep people in the same position for years
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Management so busy they allow lazy works to get ahead
Poor management
I worked for the transportation department.

The vehicles are old, and often break down, only to be patched together again, and again.

Then act surprised when they fall apart.

Cheap company to work for, with cheap management. Managers and supervisors that have tried to help and correct the situation have left frustrated.

Transportation department often hires people knowing full well they will get rid of them inside their 3 month probation before union protection comes in.
Pros
Drivers and workers are alright.
Cons
Management, long hours, thankless job.
Feels good doing your part for the enviroment
Fibre Recycling is an industry many people often don't think about, but is really interesting to be a part of. Knowing the process, and what Cascades does with their recycled material. the day to day can be repetitious but the days go by fast, and the team is great and friendly.

The Plant Supervisor cares for all his employees and looks after their best interests.

The environment is very safety oriented, with the Health and Safety Coordinator being very present, and thorough with ongoing safety training sessions.
Pros
Employee Service Recognition
Great place to be with Company Improving Proccesses
Cascades Recovery is a interesting place to work. The recycling industry was a new environment for myself, thus having a steep learning curve, but was incredible when you saw all the pieces work together. Each day was entirely different, which typically made the day go by incredible fast. The company is in a period of change and improvement and Management is open about where they see processes improving. It has been exciting to see the improvements thus far the company has made.
Pros
Management is open and easy to talk to
Want to be an insignificant peon?
Like the smell of campfire or being bullied by management? How about being stabbed with used needles or having your hands hit with brake drums? Do you want to be on a useless Health and Safety committee? If you actually managed a yes to one of these then this is the perfect company for you. Your co-workers are mostly a decent lot of hardworkers but all you will hear from the bosses is what you did wrong but it’s okay because you might get a free piece of cake at month end to show how much you are appreciated.
Pros
plenty of fire drills, oh wait, those were not drills and I suppose no security check needed
Cons
simply too many to list
Look elsewhere!
This is the worst managed company I have ever worked for. They claim safety to be their priority but you literally have to refuse unsafe work to get it corrected. The current transportation supervisor is a bully and uses veiled threats to "motivate". Lost your fingertip? Forced to work the next day. Report an unsafe condition? Labelled a troublemaker. Vehicle maintenance is spare and done by two different companies neither of which do competent work.I have worked here for 10+ years and am currently looking for employment elsewhere.I suggest you do the same.
Pros
Paycheck never bounced.
Cons
You are just a number.
Worst place to work
This is the worst place to work every unorganized the management sucks not body has accountability for anything so much drama between workers and back talk about each other and their lives there is no w To life balance and there is never any growth. The manager there talks so much bs about his own team but is never there to see what is going on. Don’t ever make the mistake and apply here trust me you’ll regret it
Pros
Sadly there was none
Cons
Every possible thing you can think of
Très bons environnement de travail
J’ai toujours étais satisfait de cette compagnie sauf pour une chose les heures 60/hrs semaines
Pros
Très très bonne cie
Cons
Heures de travail au alentours de 60 hrs semaines
Diverse place to work and learn a lot
A place you can learn and grow. A place where all can feel welcomed. A place that makes you look at our environment in a different light. A place that allows you to help others succeed.
Pros
Diverse
Cons
Poor system
Good place with friendly people; however, the communication needs help.
A typical day at work would be always busy because it's a recycling plant. There is a large volume of materials, a lot of equipment and machinery. I work for both plants: 1 and 2. There is poor communication and a lack of maintenance attention when it comes to repairs because of production. The people there are friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job would be the environment during wintertime. The materials are wet (because of the garbage) and it's cold due to the open doors. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with good people around and getting experience with the builders of the recycling company MACHINEX.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cascades Recovery + (Cascades Inc.). Our community is ready to answer.
2.7