Caryl Baker Visage Employee Reviews

fast paced enivronment, everything is manual, no cash register
Medical Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON7 June 2018
was an ok workplace, management wasn't really supportive, weren't really eager to teach us new things or provide proper training's. Pay was minimum but we made good tips and good commission if we met our sales so that was a benefit of working here
Enjoy applying makeup and serving people
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 March 2018
Was a fun environment to work in. I met many nice people and learned much about service. Much had to be cleaned everyday. I had the learn about the products so I could recommend them to clients. Doing makeup art.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Cleaning
Really fun but very hard working
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON7 February 2018
At typical day would be usually a lot of brow waxing, facials, makeup appointments and tons of ear piercing clients. Everyone is very helpful, very friendly and all the products are amazing
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 July 2017
Fun place to work if you enjoy working with people. Most of the people you deal with are females. Training process is fun. This ensures that you are certified to perform facial services on clients.
Pros
Social environment
Cons
On your feet for long hours
Skin Con.
Skin consultant, Brow designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 June 2017
Overall a great place to work and super friendly environment. Organized, sanitary and fun place to be. Great management and advanced training for employees.
Pros
Amazing co workers
I wanted to love it..
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 May 2017
Visage was definitely a good way to start a career in the field. The education program was amazing and I definitely learned a lot more about the field and added more to my overall abilities. However, starting in salon is completely different. Management is good with you when you first start out, they don't expect too much and they're pretty understanding of you not being able to sell to clients. But, when you're seasoned and you're not pulling in that $500 a day, that's when it gets bad. You're harassed to do your sales. You can't rest for a minute. Sometimes you're not even allowed to sit because heaven forbid a client sees you sitting. When management or your owner wants to you pull in more sales, they give you empty promises and make you feel like your one step away from reaching your promotion but in reality they'll never give it to you. You work so hard for these people and you truly get nothing more than a "Great Job!". You're led to believe that there's so much potential for growth when the reality is they're just gonna keep you at your wage, upping your sales every single day until you lose your mind and decide that enough is enough. The turn over rate is through the roof. Employees are treated horribly - working long hours on your feet, having to stand in the hall and handout flyers that no one really wants and finally the most embarrassing part of all, cashing out clients VIA hand written invoices. It's the era of technology and that's the Point of Sale system that this company decides to use. And I get it, you want to turn a profit but there are some places where  more... you should and shouldn't cut cost - Point of Sale being one you shouldn't. Overall it's a company with great potential, it just hasn't been given to the right person with the right idea. It's far too outdated with it's ways of selling and operating and they really need to get with the times.  less
Pros
Clients
Cons
Management Owners Long Hours Pay Point of Sale System Outdated.
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON13 April 2016
I worked for Upper Canada Mall Location the owner for that location was uncompassionate and rude. Money was the only item that this owner was interested in. Learning experience with the actual school was amazing, but the actually people in the store were extremely uptight.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Managemetn
No franchising standards
Management/Jr. Educator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 July 2015
Every franchisee decides to run their stores there way - so even if you go to the school you might be absolutely screwed when you get into a store.

Pay scale is rather awful if you're looking to make a living - it's really based on your sales - and due to the brand recognition you will literally be fighting people to buy product and give you that 3% commission.

Benefits are at the discretion of the franchisee (I had none).

Work/life balance is pretty awful - you'll be expected to work shifts like 11:30-9:30 regularly, and expected to cover sick calls, stay late, etc.

Actually working on the floor can be rather awful as well - you make your business, and you can be one of the company's top sales people and still be standing around for 4-6 hours a shift - soliciting in the mall hallways (the worst part).

Product discount is OK, franchisees will still try to make a profit off of you so expect to get a very basic discount on skin care/cosmetics (that aren't even amazing).

Upper management is *kind of* helpful - but if you ever experience issues at work (mistreatment, improper conduct, shorted pay/hours, tips go missing etc.) they'll always take the franchisees side (remember, franchisees are THEIR customers so they don't care about you).
Pros
Good training/education
Cons
Long hours, no brand name recognition, poor pay scale, poor working conditions, inconsistent upper management
always on the go and learning something new and exciting everyday
Esthetician/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Burlington8 July 2015
A day at Caryl Baker Visage would be over looking the schedule to see my appointments, cleaning and setting up my station, getting ready for walk ins if they want a facial, make up done or a simple brow wax.
Pros
always on the move and having different clients
Not a Very Supportive Work Environment
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 May 2015
I worked with this company through my high school co-op program. I did not overall enjoy the experience, though I did earn quite a bit. The customers were great, but my coworkers and I did not get along very well, but I was young so I take most of the blame for that.
Skincare Consultant and Makeup Artist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 April 2015
Great place to work at! Great environment and lovely staff. $11 start pay. Boss is helpful and will take some time to build clientele
Great Work Environment
Cosmetician (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON14 January 2015
Not one day have I woken up and not wanted to go to work! Caryl Baker Visage is a fantastic company to work for! My co-workers are great, the learning is phenomenal because the company provides so much training!
Pros
enjoyable environment
Cons
repetitive
Worked with a great team.
Beautician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 December 2014
- Enjoyed applying make up and providing skin care services
- I've learned how to build customers confidence in the way they look and feel
- Co-workers were fun and helpful
- Most enjoyable part was seeing people walk out pleased by the services provided
fun environment fun team and good products.
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON12 November 2013
I get to work normally at 12:30 until 9:00, i get to see many different types of women and children, i get to learn characters and behaviors and make people happy. normally it is a very fun environment, and sometimes its less. I have days where I get upset people that had rough days and are seeking a place to discharge their anger or frustration so i get to deal with it. at the end of the shift i deal with management tasks like finishing paper work and cashing out as well as reviewing the day with the staff to see where we could of done better. I find that educating and having to tell other people what to do is what I think is more difficult for me because sometimes it is unpleasant but it is what it is and i am happy i get to improve and help the business. I love that at the end of the day people that walk in to the store upset are leaving relaxed and with a big smile on their faces.
Pros
get to play with the products, have a very good team.
Cons
low pay for my abilities, no place to grow and develop a strong career and no benefits.
fun workplace to meet new people and their different styles.
Make-up Artist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 April 2013
Working at Caryl Baker Visage was one of the best experience I had. I learned how to do everything at a faster paste, and how to multitask on many various activities in the store. The management was very professional and well organized. My co-workers were very kind and helpful to me and we got along perfectly. The hardest part of the job was also working alone and the products run out I would have no way of finding those products when I am all alone in the store. The most enjoyable part of the job was having my breaks and dealing with challenging customers and making them leave with a smile on their faces and always coming back to me.
Pros
tips
Cons
not enough hours
Overall good workplace.
Assistant Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario10 February 2013
Waxing, make up applications, and facial services with a positive buying experience. Fun environment, and excellent customers.