Carters, Inc

Carters, Inc Employee Reviews

Found 260 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,560 reviews

Managers don't accept suggestions but we have lots of cute babies all day

Working at carter's is great if you don't mind inefficient orders and changes. The assistant manager sometimes treats you with indifference and they don't care about cleaning in general, they say it's not a priority.Only benefit is the discount for employees.The clothes are beautiful and the customers are very friendly.

Pros

Cute Babies all Day

Cons

Salary and Benefits

Toxic Management

If you want to work for people that keeps secrets, leaves a mess in store for you to have to deal with along with your responsibilities, is condescending, and will not help you in any way to advance your career, then this is the place for you. To work here you must agree 100% of the time with everything that is happening in the store. I am sure the company can be great to work for, however the management at the Westshore location is toxic. Just look at the mess in the store as you shop. It is a direct representation of the management. I encourage all who shop there to write the company with any complaints as they do not listen to employees, but they do listen to customers.

Pros

Sales Associates are amazing to work with. Also the customers are great.

Cons

Management is toxic, over work employees with no positive feedback.

Toxic place

Typical day would be giving 100+% with no appreciation, be scolded for not "making the day". I learned that you have to be cold hearted and ruthless to work for this company. Management was terrible, hard to deal with. Policies whether it be company or government, not followed. The only enjoyable part of the job is the amazing customers and cute kiddos.

Pros

customers, cute kiddos

Cons

underpaid, toxic atmosphere

Meh

The DM isn't very nice at all. The work culture is disgusting, very loud and obnoxious. Management would sit in the back and talk, while SAs worked the floors. Blackout periods were at ridiculous times of the calender year. Found some cool coworkers.

Pros

Seeing cute babies all day

Cons

Pay is poor, don't stay here long

Little room for advancement, little pay.

The company is pretty cheap. They need to invest more into their stores and staff. The store I worked at was great because the team was great. There’s very little room for advancement but to get from sales associate to supervisor is quite easy if you know what you are doing and utilize common sense.

Pros

Surrounded by cute baby clothes

Cons

Cheap company

Horrible place to work

Honestly, working at Carter’s was so toxic. The management was horrible. They stayed in the back most of the time talking to eachother rather than being on the floor helping out their staff. The assistant was very arrogant and rude. The environment was not a place I’d ever want to work again. I left after maybe a month of being there because if I would have stayed any longer my mental health probably would have shot to the ground. They belittle you and don’t train properly, so you basically learn 5 different ways to do something, and when you try a way that works for you, the assistant gets snarky and tells you “the right way” and also tries to interrupt while you speak, and makes you feel bad for literally everything you do or don’t do. 10000/10 would not recommend

Pros

Cons

Poor management, horrible training, too much gossip, lazy managers

It is missing the sense of a positive Employee experience

Such a true disconnect in what is needed to run a company and what is a top priority. Ask for so much, and constantly cut hours. They have talent with in and pass them over. How have they had so much turnover ? Some thing is missing and they just don't get it. The visual plannograms are so messed up. No true sense of where to put stuff. Just get it out you are told. No training. Training is horrible. Always some call to go on. Last minute. They have horrible staff that they promote to positions that they are not ready for or should not be in. Yet pass up strong leaders . So many things to track. Floors are jam packed the second you touch one thing a whole bunch fall.off.

Pros

The team. Dsm

Cons

Pay, stress, visual, upper management.

très bonne entreprise

J'ai remplacée la gérante durant un arrêt maladie, j'ai adoré mais elle est revenue et la place qu'on me réservait n'était pas à la hauteur de mes ambitions.

Pros

malgré sa taille, sa reste une entreprise humaine

Cons

les USA sont privilégiés au Québec

If I could rate this place negative I would.

This company does not care about anyone that works for them they only care about the money you make them. Stay clear if you can! Upper management is horrible, you get no support from anyone that’s not working directly in your store. They bully people to the point that they quit. You get NO recognition AT ALL for any of your achievements not matter how hard to work it is never good enough!

Fun workplace

The manager and the team are perfect. Best work environment ever. We all back each other up and no one is there to ruin the relation between others. Best place for part time job if you know French

Jobs at Carters, Inc

See more jobs

Good hours, but pay isn't great

I worked here for a year. The pay is decent, but it's hard to be kept on permanently. They use new hires as temp employees, just before Christmas they like to do a huge fire event for their associates that are still on probation. I think 4 of the nearly 20 associates were kept during my hiring period. If your boss doesn't befriend you, you're probably not staying

Toxic, low pay

This has proved to be a bad career choice. It is a toxic environment, with minimum wage pay. The job is easy, but management expects part time supervisors to do management tasks and credit is never given where its due. It is expected that you will drop everything and rearrange your life schedule to suit management needs. Theres a very high turnover rate snd zero incentive to do a good job

Pros

Small discount

Cons

Long hours, unreal expectation, awful management

Wasteful

Loved working with baby clothes. I found their return and damage policy extremely wasteful. Perfectly good clothes that have a little stain here and there would be thrown in the trash rather then donated to kids who need them. Upper management show no incentive but expect outstanding results. This company does not appreciate their workers at all.

Positive and pleasant place to work in retail

Pleasant managers who are willing to train and support. Strong team, and trust in employees. Pay is low, and hours are not always guaranteed. Family approach to customer service. Background checks to ensure safety for customers.

Pros

Amazing team, positive management

Cons

low pay

Anybody wants to work there & who works there leave soon!

Stress, always looking for staff, salary is not enough based on physical and mental effort, you'd have more of 2 different managers. Maybe good for a student/temporary job, too much physical work

Pros

working hours, employee discount

Cons

stress, instable staff, bad management, old technologies, salary, social benefits

Quite honestly the worst company to work for

First- In my many years of working retail, I have never worked for a company that cared so little about their employees. Given that a decent amount of staff are parents, it's disappointing to say the least, that there is such a lack of care for their employees. No raises, even though the cost of living is increasing. Barely any promotions from within, which is really the only way to get any type of a raise...and it's quite lousy to say the least. In the years I worked there not one staff member got a raise, except the managers and the DM who literally does nothing.Second- They would rather hire staff into management positions who are completely unqualified, than to actually promote people who are eager to learn- that are already working for the company. They are a ridiculously cheap company. Our entire system is completely outdated to be able to compete with other retailers. If they want to succeed, they need to stop putting money into these ridiculous "training" programs they have the staff do and start putting the money into upgrading their systems.Last, It was an incredibly toxic workplace. The only good thing that came out of it was some co-workers who have become life-long friends.

Pros

Co-Workers

staff struggles

the job duties itself is fine however the staff and HR people are very resistant to new ideas and changes that are different from their own. thee only way things get done or changed is through direct conversation with the vice president of the company, otherwise... good luck.

Poor Management and No room for Advancement

I was hired as a full time supervisor. At Carter's there is favoritism. The company never helps you to grow. They would pretend you that they are helping you, but they don't. You have to learn basically everything by yourself. Almost everyone was a supervisor there where I was hired, and the manager told me to supervise the team. How can you do that when everybody is supervising themselves? Secondly, the upper management never helps you. They will always take their managers back, even if they can see he/she is wrong. Issues are never resolved and you will be finding yourself stressed. Third, it is a stressful environment. They push you to bring sales and if you don't bring sales, you will see your hours cutting down. There was an employee who was hired due to favoritism because the manager knew her from long ago and trained her for advancement for her own benefit. The manager would never work and would stay in the back room. Fourth, the responsibilities wasn't exactly what I was looking forward to. They always tell you to sell the clothes and standing at the sales point. Being as a full time supervisor, they never treated me with the responsibilities of a supervisor. Your work- life balance do not settle together. The manager can usually ask you to come an hour later because the store is not busy. Again, cutting hours! Fifth, there is nothing much to learn and the pay is not fair compared to the pressure they put on us. I wasn't getting full time hours and be sure to read the contract, it would say "you will get 35 - 44 hours but your hours are never guaranteed". I was just -

Pros

Easy Work

Cons

Nothing to learn, No room for Growth, Stressful Environment, No work- Life Balance

Okay for sales or keyholder

Amazing first manager went above and beyond!Second manager unfortunately was lazy and never was on the floor or knew how to manage a larger volume store. District manager was always pointing fingers, and never looking directly at the problem the new store manager who was a not a good fit for the job. Horrible training worst ever in all my experience! Some great co workers, generally bonus out as a high volume store. New Store manager and district manager 100% shady and fake so definitely made for an unenjoyable experience. Had the first manager stayed at this locations things would have been much different! Store manager never closed, and generally any emergency she told us she would not be reachable and was always away on trips or what not and never available to support her team or store. I was left always coming in to solve problems and always the first contact as store manager made it clear not be bothered when she was not working.

Pros

Employee buy day

Cons

Manager and district manager

Been with the company for several years now. Great company to work for. Amazing staff. Great buying day perks. Very flexible with my full time job.

Team atmosphere, great part-time job

Carter's & Osh Kosh B'Gosh was a great place to work at, with a welcoming environment and a team ready to teach you the ropes. As with most retail stores, management shifted, but as long as they are understanding and friendly, the team worked great together were able to get our jobs done. We did play Disney movies at the store constantly (unless the DVD player broke) which might be annoying for some people (I enjoyed it!). The work was generally split up between everyone, from cashier work to cleaning up, restocking, mannequins, signage, and cleaning the mothers room (including a diaper genie) and the public and private washrooms. I enjoyed working here, with a non-competitive, open atmosphere where I was able to learn and progress to other opportunities.

Pros

workable hours; friendly atmosphere; shared jobs

Cons

cleaning bathrooms and diaper genie; customer service always has its drawbacks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carters, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement