Carters, Inc

Carters, Inc Employee Reviews

This has proved to be a bad career choice. It is a toxic environment, with minimum wage pay. The job is easy, but management expects part time supervisors to do management tasks and credit is never given where its due. It is expected that you will drop everything and rearrange your life schedule to suit management needs. Theres a very high turnover rate snd zero incentive to do a good job
Pros
Small discount
Cons
Long hours, unreal expectation, awful management
Loved working with baby clothes. I found their return and damage policy extremely wasteful. Perfectly good clothes that have a little stain here and there would be thrown in the trash rather then donated to kids who need them. Upper management show no incentive but expect outstanding results. This company does not appreciate their workers at all.
Pleasant managers who are willing to train and support. Strong team, and trust in employees. Pay is low, and hours are not always guaranteed. Family approach to customer service. Background checks to ensure safety for customers.
Pros
Amazing team, positive management
Cons
low pay
Stress, always looking for staff, salary is not enough based on physical and mental effort, you'd have more of 2 different managers. Maybe good for a student/temporary job, too much physical work
Pros
working hours, employee discount
Cons
stress, instable staff, bad management, old technologies, salary, social benefits
First- In my many years of working retail, I have never worked for a company that cared so little about their employees. Given that a decent amount of staff are parents, it's disappointing to say the least, that there is such a lack of care for their employees. No raises, even though the cost of living is increasing. Barely any promotions from within, which is really the only way to get any type of a raise...and it's quite lousy to say the least. In the years I worked there not one staff member got a raise, except the managers and the DM who literally does nothing.Second- They would rather hire staff into management positions who are completely unqualified, than to actually promote people who are eager to learn- that are already working for the company. They are a ridiculously cheap company. Our entire system is completely outdated to be able to compete with other retailers. If they want to succeed, they need to stop putting money into these ridiculous "training" programs they have the staff do and start putting the money into upgrading their systems.Last, It was an incredibly toxic workplace. The only good thing that came out of it was some co-workers who have become life-long friends.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
I have been working there since 2018 and I love my job. My manager and co-workers are great. Being the only Muslim there, I feel like part of the team. I am treated with dignity and respect.
Pros
Free drinks when offered
Cons
Pay could be better
the job duties itself is fine however the staff and HR people are very resistant to new ideas and changes that are different from their own. thee only way things get done or changed is through direct conversation with the vice president of the company, otherwise... good luck.
I was hired as a full time supervisor. At Carter's there is favoritism. The company never helps you to grow. They would pretend you that they are helping you, but they don't. You have to learn basically everything by yourself. Almost everyone was a supervisor there where I was hired, and the manager told me to supervise the team. How can you do that when everybody is supervising themselves? Secondly, the upper management never helps you. They will always take their managers back, even if they can see he/she is wrong. Issues are never resolved and you will be finding yourself stressed. Third, it is a stressful environment. They push you to bring sales and if you don't bring sales, you will see your hours cutting down. There was an employee who was hired due to favoritism because the manager knew her from long ago and trained her for advancement for her own benefit. The manager would never work and would stay in the back room. Fourth, the responsibilities wasn't exactly what I was looking forward to. They always tell you to sell the clothes and standing at the sales point. Being as a full time supervisor, they never treated me with the responsibilities of a supervisor. Your work- life balance do not settle together. The manager can usually ask you to come an hour later because the store is not busy. Again, cutting hours! Fifth, there is nothing much to learn and the pay is not fair compared to the pressure they put on us. I wasn't getting full time hours and be sure to read the contract, it would say "you will get 35 - 44 hours but your hours are never guaranteed". I was just - more...
Pros
Easy Work
Cons
Nothing to learn, No room for Growth, Stressful Environment, No work- Life Balance
Amazing first manager went above and beyond!Second manager unfortunately was lazy and never was on the floor or knew how to manage a larger volume store. District manager was always pointing fingers, and never looking directly at the problem the new store manager who was a not a good fit for the job. Horrible training worst ever in all my experience! Some great co workers, generally bonus out as a high volume store. New Store manager and district manager 100% shady and fake so definitely made for an unenjoyable experience. Had the first manager stayed at this locations things would have been much different! Store manager never closed, and generally any emergency she told us she would not be reachable and was always away on trips or what not and never available to support her team or store. I was left always coming in to solve problems and always the first contact as store manager made it clear not be bothered when she was not working.
Pros
Employee buy day
Cons
Manager and district manager
Been with the company for several years now. Great company to work for. Amazing staff. Great buying day perks. Very flexible with my full time job.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Carters, Inc?
Carter's & Osh Kosh B'Gosh was a great place to work at, with a welcoming environment and a team ready to teach you the ropes. As with most retail stores, management shifted, but as long as they are understanding and friendly, the team worked great together were able to get our jobs done. We did play Disney movies at the store constantly (unless the DVD player broke) which might be annoying for some people (I enjoyed it!). The work was generally split up between everyone, from cashier work to cleaning up, restocking, mannequins, signage, and cleaning the mothers room (including a diaper genie) and the public and private washrooms. I enjoyed working here, with a non-competitive, open atmosphere where I was able to learn and progress to other opportunities.
Pros
workable hours; friendly atmosphere; shared jobs
Cons
cleaning bathrooms and diaper genie; customer service always has its drawbacks
This company does not care about work, life, balance. Upper management will panic hire or promote certain individuals without the required assets and competencies. They will revoke vacations from you after having booked them off three months prior due to upper management not hiring the right staff to support the stores, or their lack of organization transferring employees to other stores. They will not treat all employees equal... and working here you will find that their can be a lot of insubordination situations. Upper management will barely come in to the store to see first hand how busy certain mall stores can get with peak hours with most traffic. Will come in during slow times and then think that we can accomplish unrealistic recovery times, sign changes, and other tasking in the evening and weekends... while at the same time cut the hours so not enough staff to meet these requirements. Will be quick to point the finger when sale targets are not met. Also extremely low salary, does not meet cost of living. A super visor only gets paid 0.25 cents more than normal associates and it is only 0.25 cents more than minimum wage.
Pros
If you have children, you at least 4 days a year where everything is 50% off for employee purchases.
Cons
Low wages, Lack of organization, unrealistic goals from upper management, panic hiring does occur from upper management, vacations proven to be constantly revoked- no work, life, balance.
Amazing place to work Best part of this workplace is the manager who is extremely supportive and provides opportunity to learn and enhance your skills.
Pros
Room for growth; Supportive staff members; Stress free environment
Didn't learn much, no room to grow. Shift supervisors need much improvement and training in how to deal with employees. I wouldn't work there again. Not much else to say.
Pros
Discount on kids clothes
Cons
Poor management
I've been working at Carter's since January 2020 and I've had only the best experiences. The manager and supervisors highly value employee training and development. The team is friendly and supportive. Workplace is relaxed, enjoyable and promotes creativity. Customers are generally nice and patient. Overall, a great place to work!
I'm sure it varies by location, like all stores, but I worked at Carter's retail and I loved it! Unfortunately there aren't a lot of hours for some stores so I left due to not being able to work really. It's fun and makes busy shifts easier to get through! You have to like kids to work here but also parents haha! You'd be surprised how many kids just run around the place it's kind of insane.
Pros
Easy job if you're efficient, friendly people, supportive environment
Cons
Min wage, little availability to be promoted
I love working here. Staff is so friendly and manager was the best. When i started everyone was there to help out whenever i had a question. The people coming in are always friendly and nice to staff
Everyone is paid on the same scale (fair) but those on afternoons do get a .50 premium. Great atmosphere, our leaders will do work like everyone else
I have learn lot of the thing with carter.• I have operating the register including all cash, credit sales, checks and travels checks plus refunds and exchanges.
Good place to work. But they don’t pay their employees enough to live and will not include all employees on the bonus. I think they should pay their employees better based on experience
Management was very open and friendly when I first got into the job. But after a couple of weeks, it started to become a lazy environment which was a result of the management. It's basically a bunch of nice ladies that struggle to run a business. All though, still a nice first job experience to have.
  1. Employee reviews