Play YouTube video button

Caron Transportation Systems Employee Reviews

Featured review
Caron Transportation Systems selected this as a representative review
Fun, fast paced environment with great teamwork and attitudes
WASHBAY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB13 May 2018
Each day is full of activity and things to do. Never had to look to hard for something to do. Kept very busy and the time flew by. Co-workers and bosses alike were fun and involved. Would absolutely work for them again.
Pros
Great teamwork and fun environment
Cons
Repetitive work, strict deadlines
Poor management
Driver (Former Employee) –  Clairmont, AB18 July 2019
Great guys to work with , poor management in Grand Prairie . Can spend days or even weeks sitting with no work , so no pay. Equipment repairs will often come down to money or safety , the dollar usually winning .
Pros
Assigned units, great co-workers
Cons
Low pay, poor local management
22 July 2019

We are sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience while working with Caron Transportation Systems in Grande Prairie. We appreciate the constructive feedback so we can improve the Caron experience for future employees.

Thank you again for sharing your review with us. We strive to be an employer of choice in the industry.

Great people
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Clairmont, AB13 July 2019
Management was quick to resolve issues. It was a great group of people to work with. I would go back. Wished I never left! I am still friends with the people I worked with 2 years later
15 July 2019

Thank you for sharing this update and motivating us! We appreciate your dedicated services and look forward to a prosperous future.

No Organization or Identity
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB30 June 2019
Dispatch and drivers are constantly moving to other companies. Bad habit of only keeping managers that are yes man and dont think outside of the box. From a billing perspective theres a reason most of the long tenured customers are leaving due to no real change for the company in the industry. If the Edmonton Oilers were a trucking outfit the comparisons in head offices would be quite apparent. Build a team to win and not just sit around waiting for things to happen.There are some really really good drivers that work there so dont want to be overly critical.
Pros
Drivers
Cons
Head Office
15 July 2019

Human Resources

The most disorganised outfit I ever experienced
Super b oil field driver (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB22 May 2019
First day on the job was to haul a train from GP to Edmonton and go to orientation. Missed it because trailer had no lights wait for shop to show up a 6am to fix it. Next trip super b from GP to Edmonton. Truck should never have left GP. Kept stalling out and I'm thinking if it powers out going down some of these hills in the middle of the winter I'm screwed. Management knew about this but told to carry on. Based out of fox creek expected to live and work out of the truck for a week. My truck died middle of the night 47 below. Expected to hang tight till shop mechanics in gp showed 6am up to 'fix' it over the phone. Got frost bite face, ears and fingers waiting. Truck caught on fire toasted during mechanics regen. Next truck kept shutting down still expected to deliver 42 ton of sand out in bush by FC. 1am to 1pm schedule. Was to go on day shift but spent the day in GP shop finding a workable truck after moving gear between 3 different trucks from 7am to noon by three pm dispatch decided well you might as well do nightshift come back in a couple hours drive from GP tp FC and you can work all night from 1am to 1pm hitch. Automatics trucks were not ideal in the winter. Very aggravating. Tired equipment. Elogs obsessed. No ot until 60 hours so sent home just after 60 to make the 70hrs threshold. No shower facilities in Dawson Creek. Micromanagement and dispatched from Sherwood Park who have no idea where or what Fox Creek is. Can end up phoning half a dozen office workers for instructions.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Living and working out of truck 24/7, No loa, . No accomodations, Pay very average, Make more driving a dump truck or logging locally, Night shift, Trying to sleep in the berth during day
27 May 2019

Poorly Managed
Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 May 2019
They promote the place as a top managed company but that's so far from the truth. HR is non existent outside of head office and it shows in the high amount of turnover. Decisions at times seem to be made by an old boys club from an ivory tower. Local management aren't allowed to make decisions and it is very disruptional to all us drivers. Equipment is unsafe and most sites are in terrible condition. Again a call to head office to report these things and it goes unanswered.
Pros
Cons
Human Resources and Head Office
27 May 2019

Good Morning,

We are sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience while working with Caron Transportation Systems in Calgary. We do appreciate the constructive feedback so we can improve the Caron experience for future employees.

Human Resources

Former Driver would and have recommended to friends.
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABu22 April 2019
Overall great company. I know its the nature of the industry but the only complaint I would ever have was not enough work for myself. They are very accommodating to your work life balance and as long as you have good communication with your dispatch they will always try to help you out. I would liked to have been a long term employee but I had bills to pay and the turn down in the industry was to blame not Caron
Pros
Management, equipment and pay (when there is work)
Cons
Not any personally

Human Resources

It was good until management changed.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Clairmont, AB12 April 2019
There was a good work life balance, being on call 24/7 wasn't very fun, but they did treat their employees very good. Management at the local branch changed and so did the policies. Not for the better, this is why I left.
15 April 2019

We are sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience while working with Caron Transportation Systems in Grande Prairie. We appreciate the constructive feedback so we can improve the Caron experience for future employees!

ok place to work
Trans load Operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB28 January 2019
your day consists of unloading sand from rail cars, and loading trucks with sand. Easy work, ok pay. management wasn't the best but you work in the back away from them. decent place to work when office people don't bug you
Pros
decent money
Cons
management
4 February 2019

Excellent company
Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 December 2018
I loved this place. I just wished that I was able to stay. but because this company relies on the oil companies, and because of the recent oil prices, I was laid off.
Pros
Everything. This company cares about you.
Cons
Too few to mention.

good work place
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK16 November 2018
load
drive
unload
good positive experience
would give a good review to anyone looking to work here
very friendly easy going people to work for
never had any problems
Some good change
Driver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK21 September 2018
Things have improved in the last year and have been more organized in Saskatoon. Drivers were ignored in the past and their seemed to be a lot of favoritism especially from dispatch. Still some badd habits but steady improvement and its noticed. Our pay is still a little cloudy but glad there is more work now. I think having another manager is the reason things are getting done and we get answers where in the past we were ignored. Maitenance has been good too with no big breakdowns on my end.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay structure
24 September 2018

busy
Sherwood Park - Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park23 August 2018
Days are very long 14 to 16 hours is normal. Overtime is only after 60 hours and goes sunday to Saturday. 12 and 2 shift is Archaic. Non of the managers there have ever driven a truck and lack the knowledge of what the drivers do.New inexperienced dispatch
Pros
good equipment
Cons
Long hours for average pay
27 August 2018

We are sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience while working with Caron. The 12 and 2 shift is the trade off for assigned units and having your own truck. We follow Federal Regulations for calculating overtime. If you would be interested in providing us with more information you can reach out to us at the Human Resources Confidential inbox at hrc@carontransport.ca. We appreciate all feedback so we can improve the Caron experience for current and future employees.

Human Resources

On camp sites we had access to fitness equipment and also a pool table for leasure to relax keeping our stress level down.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Redcliff, AB16 June 2018
I was stationed in camps for a period of 15 days in and 6 days home. I drove big rig hauling fracing sand to the job sites to work crews. Which I enjoyed very much.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB15 January 2018
Good people long hrs great money Great maintence department.Good equipment.Enjoyed my time there.Dispatch was understanding and reasonable..Family orientated.
22 January 2018

Thank you for sharing your review with us! We strive to be an employer of choice in the industry. We appreciate your years of service and best of luck in your future endeavors.

family orientated
Maintenance Facility Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 October 2017
great people to work with in shop, room to advance in the company, family orientated in shop, very well maintained equipment and clean atmosphere in the shop

Human Resources

One of the best companies I have ever worked for.
Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2017
They treat you like family, and any issues are resolved in a professional and timely manner.

If I ever wanted to go back on the road i would definitely consider going back to Caron.
Pros
Well maintained equipment.
Cons
Away from home often
Enjoy coming to work everyday
HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB28 July 2017
Caron has been a great place to work and very welcoming. Everyone has been very friendly and helpful as I have joined the HR team. They really appreciate their staff and want to see them develop personally and professionally.
Pros
flexible, accommodating, room for growth
27 August 2018

Thank you for sharing your review with us!

Caron Transportation Systems

Thought I would would be there for years
Maintenance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB26 June 2017
I thought Caron was a great company when I first started with them, training was through and was checked in on regularly by mangers for the first couple weeks.

Couple weeks later, I was kinda left to my own devices, which was totally fine! I felt I had a pretty good handle on the job and was moving along a what I thought was a fairly effective speed having only been doing the job a few weeks and would ask for help with something If i needed. Then things kinda took a turn, and got a little overwhelming but I again went and asked for help and didn't think anything of it because I had only been doing the job for a month because I had been told that I was doing a good job for being so new and that there was a number times that people before me had gone through the same thing and to not worry about it.

Then got a termination letter with next to no explanation other than "not the right fit". That very well could have been it and I would have accepted that but it felt like more that I wasn't being told and when I asked I got "not the right fit" again.
Cons
Unrealistic expectations
4 July 2017

Good Morning,

We are sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience while working with Caron Transportation Systems. We appreciate the constructive feedback so we can improve the Caron experience for future employees.

Poor Training
POD Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 June 2017
Poor training no one on one training provided. I was expected to learn complex rating systems with little training in a short period of time. The people who trained me knew very little about the position.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
poor training
26 June 2017

Good Morning!

We are sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience while working with Caron Transportation Systems. We'd like to hear more about your specific situation. If you would be interested in providing us with more information please reach out to us at the Human Resources Confidential Inbox at hrc@carontransport.ca.

We appreciate all constructive feedback so we can improve the Caron experience for current and future employees.

wonderful place to work
Parts and Service Admin (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB18 June 2017
Great family orientated environment. Lots of area that allow room for expansion. Fun and friendly atmosphere. Understanding, and willing to work with all levels of experience
26 June 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We appreciate your years of dedicated service and look forward to a prosperous future.

Human Resources

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Caron Transportation Systems. Our community is ready to answer.