Carmen's Group

• Supportive environment
  • Support from manager
  • Clear sense of purpose

Great

Overall the experience was good.- Enjoyed the long hours- Pay and Tips was pretty good aswell- not always really busy- great staff to work withrecommended

Pros

Free Food & Drink

Cons

Long Hours sometimes

Exciting

I have been the Night Auditor at the Best Western Premier C Hotel by Carmen's since the first day the hotel opened 10yrs ago. Carmen's Group is an Entertainment/Hospitality company with numerous branches and venues throughout Hamilton, Ontario. The hotel venue in which I work is fast passed, exciting, and challenging. The entire team from Executives down to entry level are all exemplary. They talk to you with respect, they genuinely care about how you are doing (personally or professionally) they are there for you should you need them.

Pros

Staff recognition, years of service rewards, Group RRSP, Hotel discounts, Wellbeing programs, Participation in staff events

Cons

None in 10yrs

Good job, but hard work

I worked at Carmen's as a Server and Bartender for 2 years before covid hit, and I did really enjoy the job; although I know not everyone did. It's a very go go go environment because you have to maintain the planned event schedule (as much as possible), so that means A LOT of time on your feet. When you're first hired I found the training to be enough for me, but I know others have struggled. You have to learn how to carry and balance a large tray on your shoulder and carry ~10 stacked plates of food on it. With that said, this job requires a lot of you physically. The skill of lifting the tray is mostly in the legs; your arm doesn't have to carry the weight if you lean over so the center of balance is over your body, not your arm. I am a small woman with not much muscle, and I don't find it difficult very much anymore. If you have back, leg, or wrist problems, this job isn't for you.Break time is guaranteed and you will always get that time, but you may have to work a bit longer than 5 hours (because you don't get your break till the job is done (meal service, cleanup, bar rush). Make sure you have good comfy shoes, cause it kills your feet otherwise.Overall I liked the job, it was hard work but it was fun

Pros

leftovers from the meals are free to eat on your break, or to take home (I brought home a ton of free food that would otherwise have been thrown out).

Cons

long hours on your feet, have to carry a heavy tray (If you have back, leg, or wrist problems, this job isn't for you). Only minimum wage, but If you show your skill a promotion is possible (not too many are promoted though)

Fun place to work

Great company and managementBusy fast paced workFun eventsCommunity involvementMany venue's to work atTreated with RespectUpdated in regards to covid-19 and returning to work

It's a Thrilling organization to work for, never a dull moment.

Working for the Carmen’s group has allowed me to grow within the company as well as open my mind up to new and enticing possibilities. We work as a team to illustrate exceptional service to all our guests. With many respectable awards for excellence in Service of the Hospitality Field, our company is exceeding with providing more prospects to wow our guests. I have personally seen our company mature in the cultivating world of all things hospitality. Although we are shy of being a 9-year-old company. Our Carmen’s Group Roots are our role models in a world that is constantly growing. Upon getting hired by the Carmen’s Group Inc, for the C Hotel Position. I didn’t know what to expect honestly, but I was pleasantly surprised. It took me a good few weeks before I started to notice how truly inspiring our work place is. Yes, there is a lot to learn, yes, we always have to be at the top of our game, and yes there is always something to do. It sure is never a dull day at the company. New faces with every event, new prospects with every guest we encounter. And most of all, if you are a kind compassionate person with an open mind, every day can be a great chance for you to move up in the company. Not only in the position you are at, but there are many opportunities to cross train in many other department. Our managers always listen to our new ideas, and any improvements within the company that we all can benefit from. Some helpful tips in applying for any position within the company: Wear your best! – You are not only representing yourself but everything you can offer to -

Good place to stay busy!

There is always something that we can do to help either customers or even servers have a more comfortable experience. I enjoy the uplifting and positive energy that I get when working at Carmen's and the love that resonates from the weddings I get to serve for.

Unorganized

Training was minimal, not given hours or shifts that were guaranteed in job offer. Very unorganized and understaffed. Pay does not match job responsibilities. No benefits, sick days or vacation days. No security for staff at night time.

Official response from Carmen's Group

17 January 2020
We are sorry to hear your employment experience thus far has left you with a negative view of Carmen's Group We believe in open communication and are disappointed we have been unable to connect directly to address these concerns. We strive to create training outlines and directives as well as transparency regarding the position during our recruitment and onboarding processes. In an effort to continuously improve our team environment and obtain feedback from our employees, we would appreciate connecting with you directly to gather more information. Please reach out to the Human Resources team should you be willing to discuss. Thank-you.

I do not want to write a review but the work environment in terms of management was great but co workers were not and I quit due to an unresolved issue containing a coworker

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carmen's Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.4