Carlton Cards

Carlton Cards Employee Reviews

Canada102 reviews
Very part time but flexible
Only 6-10hrs a week and 15-20 a week leading up to Christmas. Very flexible for people with kids for example. Rarely any weekend work. Minimum wage is not enough compared to other merchandising jobs but the flexibility meets my needs.
Loved the work place
This was my first job. I really loved working here. I learned lots and always wanted to be helpful and on task... The workers are great and kind. They are always there to help and be a team.
Great coworkers
I enjoyed working my coworkers and learned a lot however moving up isn’t always easy, the pay was very poor and there was no benefits except an employee discount and you have to wear only black and white to work
Great manager
This was a great part-time job for a stay at home mom. Work could be arranged around school hours. The pay wasn't great but the convenience was. I would do it again if my body could take it. The work was quite physical.
Customer's are very nice
Was a great place to work overall when the stores were owned and operated by Carlton, since they were bought by Papyrus Shurman Fine Papers it has changed dramatically. The focus is on growing profit at all costs with no realistic incentive programs for management and no recognition for success in means of pay increase during the last 4 years of employment even when my store surpassed sales goals for every month of the year and was #1 in company store Sales increase for 7 months straight. There was a lot more duties/responsibilities added but no increase in pay and no final decision directive communication delivered, depending on who you talked to the directive was always different which created confusion and frustration.
fun place to work
enjoyed the cliental setting up store displays fast paced at times upper management was pleasant to work for a shame the store in prince George closed
Great Job
Great job if you are looking for a slow paced environment and not needing to pull in a high income to support your bills depending on the area you are living in.
Pretty bad
Everything was great till they changed managers. They hired a manager who is unfit to manage. She cut the hours of employees who have worked there longer then her, and were trained properly, and takes everything way to personally. Then when you have a complaint against them the district manager doesn’t listen and takes her side without investigating the situation further. I have been accused of stealing, being rude when you come to the manager with a problem, sabotaging the store, amongst other things
It’s pretty bad.
Pros
45% off all items that aren’t on sale
Cons
Bad management, bad hours, unhealthy work environment.
Fun
The job itself was fun, hated management and the product turn overs. They will have photos of the product placement and it needed to be perfect which i found frustrating.
Not worth the time and effort
It was an okay place to work for the most part. My manager was sick often (which obviously isnt her fault), and was away on sick leave for months at a time which left the remaining associates and assistant manager scrambling. The assistant manager was rude and strict, make one mistake and it would lead to months of bad treatment and passive aggressive behaviour which I found to be quite anxiety inducing. She also has a habit of picking favourites. It just led to feelings of resentment and anger and I hated working with her.
Training lasted maybe 8 hours, which I found to be stressful when new employees were hired. We had to take over their lack of experience and training from management and it was draining and added more work, it was often more work training someone than just being shorthanded.

You were either crazy busy or left with nothing to do for a five hour shift, and if you were caught 'not doing anything' you would get reprimanded. This job involved a lot of 'looking busy' and mindnumbing tasks to pass the time.

The 45% discount was the only positive and theres nothing in this store worth buying, also who buys a $12.95 birthday card??
Pros
some employees are so nice
Cons
rude customers and management
Awesome job
I can manage my own time and work on my own phase. We only communicate via our own tablet provided by the company. All my activities for the week and my alloted time are written there.
productive and fun place with cards
Carlton cards is a great company. I enjoyed working there and but there is one problem its really far from my house. All the co-workers and manager is really nice.
Great people and fun place to work
Been working for a couple months and love it.The manager is extremely easy going and flexible. The girls are are great to work with and learn from, and I am meeting a lot of the people I see walking in the mall all the time. Definitely lucked out when it comes to the typical retail job.
Pros
Awesome people, flexible schedule
Cons
no room for advancement
Ok place
Great place to work at however poor management style. The managers didn’t know how to manage. Overall fun place but no room for growth or opportunity within the company.
Pros
Amazing people there to work with
Cons
Not much room for growth or opportunities
Fun place to work
This employer was great, The staff and customers were a joy to interact with.
It was a good first job
It was my first job. It was a slow paced environment. I got bored easily there as there wasn't alot to do but it's a good first time job or a laid back part time job. It's very easy. I can't complain to much about it. The staff were ni
Pros
Nice people, discounts, hours were good
Cons
Slow, could get pretty boring
Fun place to work during holidays and valentines day
the customers are great and the work atmosphere is great. loved working on holidays and valentines day etc. because we were very busy and time flew by. My manager at the time was fantastic and helped me work my way up to being an assistant manager. The job to me was pretty easy to do.
Pros
great customers and easy work, opportunities to advance within the company
Cons
very boring when you are the only one working
good place to work
A good place to work with the exception of middle management whose style of management hinders innovative thinking and sharing of novel ideas for the betterment of business
Poor Management
All in all, it wasn't a good experience. It needed a better management team. Also a poor location in the mall. They should have expanded and moved to a bigger space as there was so much stock and now, it just looks like a junk store as shelves are way overstocked with items. The storage room was also insufficient, too small to store overstock.
Pros
Customer Serivicce
Cons
Bad Hours
great
loved working on my own hours most of the time...there were specific number of hours set for each store but up to me how I allotted those hours
the pay was great

I enjoyed going into the clients I looked after

my boss was verysupportive if anything came up
Cons
clients changed supllier therefore no job
great customers
always fun to work, great staff, regular customers make for a familiar work place. good working hours and locations. low pay but thats because of the business model.
Pros
locations
Cons
low pay
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carlton Cards. Our community is ready to answer.