Carlton Cards Employee Reviews

Fun place to work during holidays and valentines day
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON21 March 2019
the customers are great and the work atmosphere is great. loved working on holidays and valentines day etc. because we were very busy and time flew by. My manager at the time was fantastic and helped me work my way up to being an assistant manager. The job to me was pretty easy to do.
Pros
great customers and easy work, opportunities to advance within the company
Cons
very boring when you are the only one working
Poor Management
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB2 February 2019
All in all, it wasn't a good experience. It needed a better management team. Also a poor location in the mall. They should have expanded and moved to a bigger space as there was so much stock and now, it just looks like a junk store as shelves are way overstocked with items. The storage room was also insufficient, too small to store overstock.
Pros
Customer Serivicce
Cons
Bad Hours
great
merchandiser/vendor (Former Employee) –  Muskoka, ON14 December 2018
loved working on my own hours most of the time...there were specific number of hours set for each store but up to me how I allotted those hours
the pay was great
I enjoyed going into the clients I looked after
my boss was verysupportive if anything came up
Cons
clients changed supllier therefore no job
great customers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 October 2018
always fun to work, great staff, regular customers make for a familiar work place. good working hours and locations. low pay but thats because of the business model.
Pros
locations
Cons
low pay
Originally a great place to work
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2018
Was a great place to work until bought by another company.
The company no longer cared about their employees.
They began closing all the stores and hiring new people for the new stores they opened instead of using excellent existing employees.
benefits
Cons
owners
great place to work to meet new people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 June 2018
Day a work requires serving customers to meet all desired needs, ringing through customers in a timely and efficient manor, receiving stock and replenishing merchandise,
Learned a lot about the business and the solid merchanse we sell.
Management has always decent but can sometimes approach their employees unprofessionally.
Most enjoyable part of the job was some of the people i worked with
Pros
flexable schedule
Cons
breaks aren't followed as they should be
Overall fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 June 2018
I enjoyed my time at Carlton cards unfortunately it was cut short due to medical reasons. Often times I was left alone while working so I enjoyed my freedom in the store although I loved my short moments with my other coworkers.
Great
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON13 April 2018
enjoyed it would definitely work again. great managers, easy shifts, not too defficult. great customers. kinda boring at times but overall great working experience
Casual work place with chance to make connections
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC13 April 2018
The team is great and the work isn't difficult. Great job especially for those new to the workforce as management is more than willing to answer any questions one might have. Customers are usually friendly, though more often than not of the older demographic. Hours are limited, though that is due to the doings of Head Office in Tennesse.
Pros
Relaxed, learning environment, personable team
Cons
Limited hours
Was a great place to work until production facility closed
FACILITY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2018
When we still had the plant a typical day would be to check the work requests and assign them to my staff. Then I would usually tour the plant and office area looking for things that needed to be looked at. The culture at Carlton at that time was to make sure the plant and offices were in tip top shape. We were always sealing the plant floors and cleaning to keep the place safe and as dust free as possible. The hardest part of the job was sometimes dealing with the politics. The best part was that I was involved in all facets of maintenance, including security, safety and purchasing.
Pros
Made some great friends
Cons
Factory closed
Great job and great people to work with.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Parkland County, AB14 February 2018
I really enjoy working for Carlton. I love that the hours I work are extremely flexible and I am left to work on my own to get the job done in a timely manner. My boss and other PTMs I have worked with are a great bunch of people.
Great Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON7 February 2018
The time I spent working at Carlton Cards was great. I had an amazing very accommodating manager, great co-workers and the products we sold were something I could always promote as being good quality.
Pros
Short Shifts
Cons
Not always enough hours
I never knew snowglobes were such a big deal to some people
Retail associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON29 January 2018
Under staffed, low budget store, no security cameras, standing all day, met some of the craziest people in my life working here (one claimed to be the chosen one). I was usually the only one in the store most of the time so holidays would get hectic. I'd be running around like the tazmanian devil trying to find things for customers. Must stay for an hour or so after work to clean and fix store but will not be paid for it.
Pros
nothing.
Cons
everything.
Great company!
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON11 December 2017
I am enjoying my Merchandiser job with Carlton. They are an equal opportunity employer who respects their employees. Job is flexible to fit into your lifestyle and availability. Coworkers are extremely helpful and friendly!
Pros
Be your own boss
Cons
Pay minimal
Fun place
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New Liskeard, ON15 November 2017
It was a nice little store to work at! Cozy enviroment and had fun setting up the displays with all the unique things we would get in the store. Always something to keep you busy. I enjoyed it.
Fast paced work environment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 October 2017
Enjoyable work environment. Busy during all seasonal times i.e. Christmas. Work mostly alone . Need to be able to multi task while serving customers. Responsible for merchandising store for every season.
Limited hours but rewarding work
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 October 2017
It was a fun place to work, however the company had very limited hours to give. They could only pay minimum wage and could not offer a lot of hours to work. It is great for part-time work or very good to balance with another job. You get to work alone most of the time, but teams are always very nice and management is really good.
Carlton Cards overall experience... blah.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2017
I didn't work at this store long, but long enough to realize it was the most boring job I have ever had, way too slow paced. Staff was too chit chatty. Also way too many things that you need to memorize and training time was super short. At location I worked you also worked alone a lot which just made things stressful when you have tasks to do around the store and constantly have to check up at the registers to make sure customers aren't waiting. I also heard customers constantly talking about how ridiculously expensive some the the prices were.

I can't say that any part of the job was enjoyable, except leaving.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
staff attitudes, point of sale system, short staffed
great cards
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON30 June 2017
Carlton Cards sold an assortment of greeting cards that were perfect for any occasion. I also loved the customer basis that the cards brought to the store.
Merchandiser with Carlton Cards
Product Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON26 June 2017
I worked for Carleton Cards in the capacity of a Merchandiser. I learned about the importance of paying attention to detail, whether it be in setting up displays or placing orders.