Carlton Cards Employee Reviews

Great
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON13 April 2018
enjoyed it would definitely work again. great managers, easy shifts, not too defficult. great customers. kinda boring at times but overall great working experience
Was a great place to work until production facility closed
FACILITY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2018
When we still had the plant a typical day would be to check the work requests and assign them to my staff. Then I would usually tour the plant and office area looking for things that needed to be looked at. The culture at Carlton at that time was to make sure the plant and offices were in tip top shape. We were always sealing the plant floors and cleaning to keep the place safe and as dust free as possible. The hardest part of the job was sometimes dealing with the politics. The best part was that I was involved in all facets of maintenance, including security, safety and purchasing.
Pros
Made some great friends
Cons
Factory closed
Great job and great people to work with.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Parkland County, AB14 February 2018
I really enjoy working for Carlton. I love that the hours I work are extremely flexible and I am left to work on my own to get the job done in a timely manner. My boss and other PTMs I have worked with are a great bunch of people.
Great Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON7 February 2018
The time I spent working at Carlton Cards was great. I had an amazing very accommodating manager, great co-workers and the products we sold were something I could always promote as being good quality.
Pros
Short Shifts
Cons
Not always enough hours
I never knew snowglobes were such a big deal to some people
Retail associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON29 January 2018
Under staffed, low budget store, no security cameras, standing all day, met some of the craziest people in my life working here (one claimed to be the chosen one). I was usually the only one in the store most of the time so holidays would get hectic. I'd be running around like the tazmanian devil trying to find things for customers. Must stay for an hour or so after work to clean and fix store but will not be paid for it.
Pros
nothing.
Cons
everything.
Great company!
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON11 December 2017
I am enjoying my Merchandiser job with Carlton. They are an equal opportunity employer who respects their employees. Job is flexible to fit into your lifestyle and availability. Coworkers are extremely helpful and friendly!
Pros
Be your own boss
Cons
Pay minimal
Fun place
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New Liskeard, ON15 November 2017
It was a nice little store to work at! Cozy enviroment and had fun setting up the displays with all the unique things we would get in the store. Always something to keep you busy. I enjoyed it.
Fast paced work environment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 October 2017
Enjoyable work environment. Busy during all seasonal times i.e. Christmas. Work mostly alone . Need to be able to multi task while serving customers. Responsible for merchandising store for every season.
Limited hours but rewarding work
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 October 2017
It was a fun place to work, however the company had very limited hours to give. They could only pay minimum wage and could not offer a lot of hours to work. It is great for part-time work or very good to balance with another job. You get to work alone most of the time, but teams are always very nice and management is really good.
Carlton Cards overall experience... blah.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2017
I didn't work at this store long, but long enough to realize it was the most boring job I have ever had, way too slow paced. Staff was too chit chatty. Also way too many things that you need to memorize and training time was super short. At location I worked you also worked alone a lot which just made things stressful when you have tasks to do around the store and constantly have to check up at the registers to make sure customers aren't waiting. I also heard customers constantly talking about how ridiculously expensive some the the prices were.

I can't say that any part of the job was enjoyable, except leaving.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
staff attitudes, point of sale system, short staffed
great cards
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON30 June 2017
Carlton Cards sold an assortment of greeting cards that were perfect for any occasion. I also loved the customer basis that the cards brought to the store.
Merchandiser with Carlton Cards
Product Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON26 June 2017
I worked for Carleton Cards in the capacity of a Merchandiser. I learned about the importance of paying attention to detail, whether it be in setting up displays or placing orders.
Typical day
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 May 2017
I sold cards to customers. Helped the look for any thing spacific and placed orders if you needed. Did wall displays and orders. Customer service was our main priority.
Fun and inspireing workplace
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON20 February 2017
Working at Carton I would be responsible for Opening or Closing the store, I learned all of my merchandising and shipping and receiving skills from Carlton Cards. The management was fantastic everyone was very easy going and great listeners. My favourite part of working there was listening to peoples stories good and bad, laughing together or trying to brighten up someone's day I always left work feeling good about myself knowing I could help someone.
Pros
Customers, Organized, Easy going
Cons
Few staff, Long Hours
Interesting card store environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON8 February 2017
Slow paced environment that always kept you busy. A variety of different skills required, and each shift was different. Requires merchandising, customer service, organising, money management, and a knowledge of computers
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not enough hours
Enjoyable working for Carlton Cards
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
Typical day at work was interacting with customers and assisting them with all their needs.

Good atmosphere, management was easy to get along with.
Pros
Employees were nice.
Fun exciting place to work
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC26 January 2017
I really loved working for this company. I learned a lot from them. The more I learned the more responsibilities were giving. We were always doing and learning something. I started out in a small location and moved from there to bigger and busier stores. As a manager I always tried to make each day fun and exciting for my staff.
Productive and Satisfying
Manager (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 January 2017
Reading and implementing emails sales promotions working with customers.
Stronger visual understanding
Understanding management family
Fast-paced environment
MERCHANDISER (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 January 2017
A typical day involved sales of clothing and helping customers as necessary and stocking shelves. I learned how to work with many different personalities.
Terrible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sydney Nova Scotia28 December 2016
Manager and assistant manager bad mouthing district managers
Manger bad mouthing the staff behind their back
Manager would be scheduled to work specific days by the company but would want those days off so she would call or text you last minute to make you work it, unknown to the company.
Manager would forge your initials on bank deposits
Company would threaten your hours if you didn't get the sales and in a smal.mall you might not have the foot traffic but they didn't care.
Place was always filthy and messy
Manager always on her phone and always on break
Terrible place to work