Carlson Construction Employee Reviews

Good company, going thru some culture changes
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 February 2019
In the short time I was employed here it was a great place to work. Unfortunately with the construction industry mixed with the company redefining its policies and culture I was on the outside looking in. I wasn't given a clear reason for my dismissal. The people were great to work with daily.
Good workers, Supervisors, Management
Journeyman Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 February 2019
For the most part I think Carlson Construction has a great group of field staff, foreman and superintendents. I enjoyed my time with Carlson Construction and would go back if the opportunity arises.
Very nice lunchroom and office enviroment
Accounts Payable Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 October 2018
Good to work here, especially with the friendly co-workers. The company culture is a little bit confused, because the management team seems cannot form a clear direction. Overall, get your job done, you will enjoy working here.
Fantastic Work Experience
Employee (Current Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta22 October 2018
Carlson is an incredible place to work. Great ownership, mentoring, growth possibilities, fair pay and great benefits, plus flex time. Many team events and involvement in various projects.
Pros
great culture, flexibility and nice office environment
Awful place to work
Previous employee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 October 2018
Owners were terrible to deal with and dont respect employees. Dont know how to run a business and lots of turnover as a result.

Theres lots of nepotism and its getting worse. Lots of good people to work with but theres a handful of owner "favourites" or family that get an extra say in everything where they dont have any business or right to speak up plus they get special treatment. Other people have quit because of them.

It was good when I started and it went downhill. Would not recommend anyone working here now.
Pros
Mostly good coworkers
Cons
Owners, pay, nepotism
getting to meet with and deal with contracters
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 February 2018
always thankful and facing challenges every day dealing with trades and personnel being able to see progress and make new freindships. dealing with PM'S can be tricky
Great workplace environment
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2018
I was a project coordinator with Carlson for one summer after my first year at NAIT and then again for 8 months after I graduated from NAIT. I had to move on for personal reasons but while I was at Carlson I learned twice as much in 8 months than I did in 2 years of school. I was involved in some very interesting and challenging projects. Everyone in the office is friendly and great to work with.
Pros
Great office environment
Cons
I cannot think of any
Wonderful Place to Work
Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 February 2018
My 5-year anniversary is approaching next month as an Administrator for my time with CPI / Carlson. The company has had wonderful growth since I started 5 years ago (we've opened an office in Calgary!). I'm looking forward to the next many, many years with the company and life-long relationships with my co-workers.
Great Work Environment and Team
Employee (Current Employee) –  AB1 February 2018
Carlson is a great company to work for and their 90 years of being in the construction business proves that. The environment is all about teamwork and working together to get the job done.

They are huge supporters of giving back to their community with such charities like Santa's Anonymous and YESS.

Working at Carlson you have the opportunity to grow and you are surrounded by a team that can help that happen.
Pros
Teamwork, Management and Community Support
Excellent Place to Work
Office Employee (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 January 2018
Great team environment, a ton of encouragement for growth and career advancement. If you are a hard worker with a positive attitude, Carlson rewards you with job security and opportunities.
Once was a good company before merge
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 December 2017
Before the merge with Carlson, CPI Was a great place to work. However a company that has in the last two years changed out just about all of its PM PA and office support has some issues. For example they had a great office manager who they let go, over their earned time off. They have now gone through six, six ppl trying to replace this person. They brought in an OM that is a bully plain and simple. One of their VP is a bully. It is not a good place to work if you want to get rewarded for hard work. Constant change in staff is a red flag for any company.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Management does not know how to manage people
Great Field staff
Apprentice Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 April 2016
This is a great company for anyone pursuing a career as a project manager, superintendent or any one who has a great deal of experience prior to joining this company like journeyman carpenters. But is a poor choice for anyone who wishes to join the apprenticeship program. although they have had their share of projects that have been taken on with their own carpenters, most of their work is sub contracted out leaving mainly demo and clean up. If you are looking for a job in which to expand your knowledge in any such way as carpenter this is NOT the company for you.
Pros
Great field staff
Cons
poorly managed