Carleton University

Carleton University Employee Reviews

Canada301 reviews
Overall it’s a very good place to work. The only negative part is some members of management don’t seem to manage. The main man in charge that started the program however is phenomenal and the attendants themselves are fairly self sufficient
Pros
- PSW minimum wage
Working at Carleton University as a Contract Instructor has been an enjoyable and valuable process that taught me a lot about how to make the transition from graduate student to academic professional.
Contract Instructors are seen as dispensable, have no job security and no pensions. Full-time faculty avoid you and pretend you are invisible. You are not part of a larger team guiding the department.
Fulfilling volunteering position providing emergency medical care on campus for Carleton University community. Carelton University Emergency Response Team is part of campus safety services.
Very good environment and convenient as a student to have a job related to my program study and also the opportunity to branch out into diverse roles like mentoring.
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Carleton University, however live in positions are tough and come with a variety of their own challenges. It's hard to summarize the jobs as every floor and every student is so different and dynamic.
I had the best time covering someone on their special leave! The best work environment in Ottawa with a great salary and great benefits. Would've never left had it not been for personal reasons.
Worked at Carleton for 2 years while going to school full time. They were very accommodating when it came to scheduling to ensure there were no conflicts with school. It was also really easy to switch shifts with coworkers when necessary. Able to go home over Christmas break and reading week. The work is fun and it taught me a lot, and I made lots of new friends.
Pros
accommodating schedule
Cons
overnight shifts
It is a great benefit to be able to build your hours directly around class schedule as it is not hard to get from work to classes. there are a number of different areas you can work in and knowledge to be gained.
Learned CFD tools
Opportunity to explore different platforms

Friendly envirement with scope of learning

Dealing with difficulties in research work but huge support from peers to schieve the same.
As a Masters student they were helpful in getting me a TA position. TA'd 3 different courses over 3 term period. One was a computer course where I helped students in a lab. Another was an engineering course where I helped mark assignments. Helped monitor exams.
It is good working at Carleton. It is easy, casual and not too stressful. I would definitely recommend this job for undergraduate students. The management there are great and easy to work with. The hardest part of the job is working the rush periods when school is starting and ending each term. Everyone at the job is fun and there is zero-tolerance for bullying or hate. A typical day would include cleaning and maintaining the area and making sure everything is in place. The employees choose their hours and the management does a great job in ensuring everyone gets equal shifts according to their schedules and availability.
The Professors in charge are very reassuring and helpful. It is fun interacting with undergraduate students as well as other teaching assistants. The hours allotted were well fitting.
They pretend to promote a healthy workplace but it is far from it. The leadership team really does no know what is going on and continue to hirehire peopl
Pros
Central
I have had the pleasure of working for Carleton University in the Faculty of Engineering and Desing. My time here connected me to world-class researchers and educators in a positive environment allowing anyone and everyone to be successful if they want to be.
I enjoyed my time as a technical support specialist at Carleton as I had fun tasks to carry out. Also, the work environment was relaxed and collaborative. Lastly, I would recommend this job to undergraduates at Carleton university.
Easy going environment, management is around and available for answering questions. Helpful coworkers, this job teaches you about the school system and how it functions with regards to administrative needs
Pros
freedom on breaks
Cons
Confined to a certain spot in the office
Working as Teaching Assistant at Carleton University was a valuable experience for me. It offered me an opportunity to development time-management skills as I worked as a Teaching Assistant while simultaneously conducting research for my MA thesis.
Carleton University was a great school to study post secondary. Highly enjoyed working there and the project experience was super enlightening. We would frequently present in front of industry, making it feel like a legitimate job even as a student
Good work dynamic and very self driven but that varies with each supervisor. Mine believes in each student finding their own path and working on a project that really inspires them so most of my time is self managed.
worked as a ta, graded papers, held meeting with other TA's, very demanding though, had to mark 225 midterm in 2 days. great pay and overall great experience
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carleton University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.4