Carleton University Employee Reviews

It analyst
IT Helpdesk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 September 2018
A typical day at work would be...Coming in logging in to ticketing system ...Answering phone calls and emails from clients in regard to technical issues. Troubleshooting clients technical issues through the use of remote assistance tools. Restarting servers when required by a client. Creating user accounts in active directory and exchange management when required by the client.
A great place to work and study
T.A and R.A (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 October 2018
Carleton University offers a great learning environment, as well as a platform to develop one's professional career. As a positive note, the research being conducted is very closely linked to industry. In addition, the working environment is safe and secure, and employees are treated fairly and with respect.
Strong Work Culture
Lecturer, Department of Canadian Studies (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 November 2018
Carleton provides a warm community of educators, students, and professionals committed to education. However, often the emphasis from management is too often on cost-cutting while also big spending projects that don't enhance student learning.
Great opportunity for students
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 January 2019
Amazing chance to gain meaningful experience and form useful bonds with professors and fellow students while managing a full-time workload. Time management skills and a strong initiative are required.
Very interactive and student friendly institution
Student (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 June 2018
Carleton has been an ablsolute pleasure to study at so far in my university career. The university is full with life from the clubs and societies avialble to the learning and financial aids that are there for you. But the school is designed in way where you as an individual need to take action to get involved to recieve the most out of your time there. Everyone is more than willing to help, but they want you to take the initiative to ask for it. In my opinion this forces people to get out of there comfort zone and allows them to grow and mature.
productive and moving environment
Chef Assist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 August 2018
It was fun to work for Carleton University. I met great people. I started morning shifts from 9am-5pm everyday, and then as time passed the management decided to give me an evening schedule from 3-11. I sometimes missed the bus, and had to take a taxi home, which then lead me to resign due to the hours.
Fun and Unproductive place to work
Procurement (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 January 2019
All they do is talk, and nothing ever gets done. They lack accountability and it is ingrained in the culture. For every one hard worker there's 10 that are lazy.
Very Fun place to work
Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 October 2018
I really enjoyed my time working different jobs in Carleton University because I was able to interact and help new people which I found amusing. I learned how to work well with others, as well as manage each time for each activity. The hardest part of the job was to always get the children to co-operate
Pros
Free Lunches
good place to work
Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist, (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 January 2019
i loved my time there.
everyone is nice.
i loved the campus, very pretty place to work.
i enjoyed my job, met many interesting people.
students were great.
great location.
Excellent Place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 January 2019
Fantastic place to work. Excellent and conducive atmosphere, open and caring staff, and faculty. plenty opportunities to learn and develop new skills.
A job with constant changes
Equipment Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 March 2018
I'll avoid ranting on this and try and give an objective opinion of the job. The basics were taking care of sports equipment and operating the on-site laundry facilities. Every day there was a myriad of new tasks that occasionally felt out of our purview as equipment managers. Just some examples: Cleaning underneath the pool, checking and managing chlorine levels, cleaning chemical spills, groundskeeping, vacuuming facilities.

Don't do this job if you're not prepared to do many things not described when you're hired. It is a strange, sometimes exciting place to work.
Pros
Free lunches, hands off management, plenty of downtime
Cons
Poor management, being asked to do work without proper preparation
pop the stigma campaign
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 October 2018
it was a fun and joyful experience i got to meet people and helped them get rid of stigma around mental health by explaining the importance of mental health.
Pros
service dogs
very productive workplace with very large attention to detail
Special Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 May 2018
consistently busy with little things to consistently do such as maintenance of fields, gym, rooms, cleaning which must be handled with high attention to detail. management was very good and accepting of mistakes which made you want to come into work each day.
Pros
great staff
Cons
short hours
a good relaxed place to work with decent salary
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 October 2017
A good relaxed place to work with decent salary. The work culture is good and in view of increasing admissions every year there seems a substantial rise in job security .
A good place if you have good connections
Instructional Technology Coordiantor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 December 2014
I have been working at Carleton university for several years. While I like the type of work I do, I do not like the management system. Most of the university departments lack qualified project managers. Money are being wasted on creating new projects with no sustainability planning or long term sight.The university is over staffed on the top management position but critically understaffed on the support services. Getting hired in a permanent position is almost impossible if you have no active connections to sneak you in. qualifications required are only on paper, but it who you know that gets you in regardless of qualification. And if you are part of minority group, then good luck getting a permanent job
Pros
benefits if you are one of the lucky ones
Cons
Everything that can be foud in a bad work place
Productive good workplace, good group of people.
Summer Student Ground maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 March 2018
promotes good teamwork and an overall good community to work in. good amount of time given for breaks. Everyone treats each other with respect and learns from each other.
Pros
good breaks
Great experience, excellent mentors
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 July 2018
Really enjoyed working with Carleton. Had great support from my direct supervisors/mentors who always supported me despite constraints and overall lack of support from the Board Members and Senate. Awesome union support and access. Overall a great working and learning experience!
This was my university
student (Former Employee) –  student2 August 2018
My university experience was good. The tuition was obviously expsenive but I believe I gained valuable experience that has prepared me for the real world.
Research
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 July 2018
Great day at work . I did learn several Skills such as Prioritizing, time-managment. It is a great work place and full of great diversity.The hardest part is over working
Pros
Competitve and inspiring
Cons
lack of appreciation
Mixed feeling
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 April 2017
Workplace culture and environment are nice. Location is convenient. A day, as typically, in academia, is not strictly regulated. However, the monetary compensation is not great. Management varies from boss to boss, some are better than others. You learn a lot, though, as people around usually supportive if you need help.
Pros
interesting work, non-regulated workday, convenient location
Cons
salaries are not great