Carefor Health & Community Services Employee Reviews

if you enjoy stress work here
this is a work environment that does nothing to mitigate your stress levels, it is just an ever present issue. it is a fast paced environment that can often feel very overwhelming.
Fun workplace with great management.
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON15 October 2019
Management was very understanding and easy to talk to. Staff felt like family. The facility itself wasnt very homelike for the residents and felt more like an institution rather than a second home for them.
Are you an experienced professional with morals and integrity? This is NOT the place for you.
Administrative Staff (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON11 October 2019
Management are nothing more than shady, backstabbing, narcissistic bullies. Their arrogant, useless Board is even worse. Most senior people are in positions they aren't remotely qualified for, no HR department, staff are grossly underpaid, no paid vacation in your first year of employment, no recognition for your contributions, management takes credit for the work and ideas of staff and if you question them, they fire you. ZERO job security. I was warned before I started, it was all true, wish I'd listened.
Beware
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Russell, ON1 July 2019
This company has many short shifts available in remote rural areas which did not suit my professional needs. I was sent to areas 50 km driving distance away for shifts that ranged between 4 to 6 hours. I did not find this position satisfactory as our initial working agreement stated I would be placed in Ottawa proper. I do not recommend working for this company unless you live close to the facilities they post you to work at, or don't mind spending a lot of time and money driving.
Unfair employer
Jack of all trades (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON20 June 2019
This is not a fair or ethical employer. You are easily reprimanded. Once in their black book, there’s no getting out. Job loss cones very quickly and the same excuse is used for all staff firing.
Pros
I no longer work there
Cons
They do no respect your private family time.
Unethical employer
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 May 2019
Carefor is the worst employer I have had the misfortune of being affiliated with.
They expect you to work extra hours for free as they won’t pay overtime despite the workload exceeding the time you have to complete daily tasks. Further, you will be severely reprimanded for any failure to complete these tasks. The tacit understanding is that you will arrive early, skip lunch and stay late for free.
The training offered is inadequate and leaves new staff unprepared to work alone which wouldn’t be a problem with supportive coworkers, which Carefor actively chases away in favour of a tenured staff of unhelpful bullies who relish throwing new staff under the bus to management and supervisors days after they’ve finished training them. This often results in resignation or firing of brand new staff.
There is a lot of malicious gossip and with 0 job security a culture of blame has developed in which every problem leads to finger pointing from all sides.
It is a unionized job but the contract is painstakingly written to ensure that anyone can be run out at any time for any reason and in my experience shop stewards will actively assist management against coworkers out of fear of job loss.
Would advise looking elsewhere.
Pros
I no longer work there.
Cons
Management only wants to stay in sunshine list
I worked there for many years because I loved the clients. Terribly run business. Very disorganized, emolyees not treated well.
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON5 May 2019
Terrible place to work, no communication, expected to work in different departments without salary adjustments. Managers barely interact with staff. Very low morale, nobody seems happy to be working there. They say “competitive wages”, the pay is terrible for the work that is expected.
Pros
Wonderful clients
Cons
Rude managers, terrible pay, very disorganized
Carefor money, not the client
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 April 2019
Good luck getting management to respond to any concerns you have with client care. Add to that the constant double bookings and lack of reasonable travel time and it's a wonder they hire anybody without a time machine.
Pros
Decent wage
Cons
Poor management, minimal support, unrealistic travel time, double bookings
Not a very nurturing place to work
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 March 2019
Management can be incredibly condescending and not willing to coach properly. They play favourites and no one is exactly what they seem to be.often asked to cover extra shifts. Managers offer very little recognition.
contract worker
Casual District Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 March 2019
Didn't really get to know the company and how it work. Was just in to bring one department from one data program to another on a trail basis.
Very hard to rate or tell you what it was like as I was with the company for a short time.
Pros
week day hours
Cons
only worked contact
Fun place
Personal Support Worker (PSW) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 February 2019
I love my job so I can honestly say I did enjoy taking care of all my clients. As for the office I stayed away as much as possible except for supplies. Theirs no communication between coordinators and supervisors.
Pros
Clients are wonderful
Cons
Office no communication
Outdated tools/ techniques and processes
District Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 December 2018
The people ate carefree were nice and easy to work with. However, I found the tools/ software was outdated and there was a lot of room for process improvement initiative.
Pros
Nice working atmosphere
Cons
Processes outdated
Great environment and place to improve communication skills
Carefor Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, ON25 September 2018
I worked with Carefor for two summers. After both summers, I saw an incredible improvement in my communication skills. It is a lovely environment to work in and it was great getting to know the elders in my community.
Pros
Decent pay, and great co-workers
Cons
No lunchbreaks
overall experience
Visiting Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 March 2018
they overwork their nurses
do not appreciate the great nurses
bullying
favoritism is an ongoing issue
management is lacking tremendously
most enjoyable part of this job were the clients
Careless and not Carefor
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 November 2017
Not a good Company to work for. Carefor should change the company name to Careless. Management only care about themselves. No job security. PSS is the only department that has no union. And it's the department that could use union protection the most. When you work for Carefor you become their possession. Forget about your life/family. Co-ordinators are rude. Management don't care about the clients needs and wants. They send non palliative trained staff to see palliative clients. They don't seem to understand what a casual worker means. And they seem to keep the bad workers and scare off the good workers. Horrible place of employment.
Pros
None.
Cons
No union for PSS, no guarantee of hours.
Lots of new skills learnt, little to no support.
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 August 2017
Learned and acquired so many new skills in my 5 years of employment. Very disorganized company and lacks support for their staff members.

Partnering agencies often create malicious work environments for their staff. Not very good at handling issues between staff within the organizations. Despite hard work and commitment to providing this unique service , overall you are not a valued employee.
Pros
Exciting and fast past
Cons
high burn out, malicious environment with partnering agencies = no support from management.
So far the best employer
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 June 2017
My experience with Carefor was nothing but positive from the first day i started to the last day. I was a receptionist and I truly enjoyed working there. I didn't have the easiest position in the company being the receptionist and on the phone all day, but i knew i had Carefor behind me supporting me all the way. Going to work with Carefor was something I looked forward to every morning.
Pros
Allow me to help Carefor clients
Great place to work!
IT support (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 March 2017
I work in IT. Staff is extremely friendly and the corporate culture here is great!

Management promotes learning and advancement and is very supportive and flexible with employee needs and concerns.

Great place to work.
I love the work! Community work is very gratifying
VNP RN (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 March 2017
Great bunch of people to work with. I wish we could work 12 hour days. There is a high staff turnover.
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[
Great people, great support, very accessible managers and very friendly environment.
District Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 January 2017
I found it a really easy place to blend in. There's a lot of support from colleagues and management alike. There's, very often, something to celebrate with plenty of food and drinks and people to share with.

Though work can sometimes be very demanding, it's always reassuring to know that supervisors are always willing to help find a way out and get things going.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carefor Health & Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8