Carefirst Seniors & Community Services Association

Carefirst Seniors & Community Services Association Employee Reviews

Canada19 reviews

Just like everyone said, do it as a stepping stone. You will never stay long.

Very overloaded. Management doesn't care about employees' voices. They know all the issues but never fix them. They know the high turnover rate, but don't care. All they care about is the funding from the government, to build new places. Look very nice from the outside, but deep in is terrible. BE careful about the salary, it's getting lower each year because they know new immigrants will do it no matter what.

Pros

Got the vaccine faster

Cons

poor management, confusing job role. low benefits.

Poor management with disrespectful working environment

Senior management treats all the front-line staffs as her tools of achieving the commitment with the govt funding. The senior management offers no humanity towards colleagues. You could assume you work like a machine here, working hard without appreciation because the leader takes it for granted. If you are going to join the community service team, you would have overwhelmed work experience as bunch of workloads would just dump towards you without hesitation. A responsible leader should not have her head in the clouds, but it's common to meet one here. The high turnover rate speaks everything about the company.

Insights into Carefirst Seniors & Community Services Association

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

Poor management in a totalitarian regime

What a shame that a human service organisation treat people and employer disrespectfully. For aggressive development, it scarified existing clients that getting subsidy from govt. Poor management from the head of home care service contribute the turning over rate.

Great exposure entering the senior care field. Lots of experience. Also very stressful and overwhelmed

Intensive case load, overwhelming environment to work in, management leaders lack structure, lacking direction and training. The culture is good, everybody is hard-working, typical of Asian company culture. Hope to have more team-building time. Lots of unhealthy communication and norms in the team. Management does not have the capacity to change the structure. Extremely high turnover rate. Team spirit is low

Pros

Great entry point, lots of valuable experiences and learning new transferable skills, excellent stepping stones.

Cons

High stress, relatively low pay, limited benefits

A place to start your career

You will learn a lot as a new hire to the field. They train you well. Not too much room of growth if you want to go further. They take client care seriously.

Nice place

Friendly environment , good staff. Respectful clients tho not all. Learned a lot about the Chinese culture. My colleagues are also nice people. I had the opportunity to receive my COVID19 vaccine with the agency.

Enjoyable workplace that accommodates the worker's needs

After arriving at the client's house, I would be responsible for assisting in meal preparation, personal hygiene and medications. I have learned that communication is key in my interactions with the clients in order to understand their perspectives and provide more holistic care. Although it was hard to assist someone who was dying since I have slowly built an emotional connection with the person I was assisting, I still enjoyed my interactions with the clients and their family members.

Not good at management and gossip workplace

Came to this agency for ahwile. A senior staff came to me and said I don't have experience doing programs. I was speechless as I graduated from accreditation university for that specialty and I even did placement specifically in program coordination and development. She did nothing at the office beside admin job and basic psw job (her title was psw). As her seniority (12+ years), the one who came later than her does the work for her. Not only that staff but some older staff would leave all the physical job for you to do. Registered nurse would point at you in front of the other colleagues as she thinks I should not stop a dementia client taking someone else's stuff. Bad management: manager doesn't know how to arrange staff Too many causal staff, however, some of them do not know what they have to do Sometime there are lots of clients and there are not enough staff, sometime is vice versa. HR is not responding to emails. And if you are contract staff, be well-prepared that you have to chase them for renewal or else they will be disappear.

Pros

Enjoy working with clients, flexible hours

Cons

Negative environment for team building

Very Poor Management

Poor management. Managers are lacking the competency to support and motivate the team. An unhealthy working environment. No job satisfaction at all. Turnover rate is extremely high. Anything happen, they blame the staffs first. Horrible working environment

Heavy workload. Low salary. Poor management

Very poor management, managers are lacking the competency to support the team. Be prepare to do your job without proper training and support, very unorganized. Youre on your own to figure out how to do your job. Heavy workload, be prepared to do a job of multiple people everyday or even more if someone on your team quits, the work will be dumped onto you, dont be surprised. The salary doesnt reflect on the heavy workload. Its just slightly higher than minimum pay. If youre looking for a job with decent pay, exit this posting window already. They dont see employees as ammunition for better profit, employees are just tools to get money. No job satisfaction, no recognition, no work-life balance, staffs are not treated right. Lots of gossips, not a healthy working environment. Resulted in very high staff turnover rate, low staff retention. If youre a fresh grad and just looking for experience, its a good start and new learning experience. Its not recommended if youre looking for a decent job. Not worth the headache.

Pros

Pretty building

Cons

Heavy workload. Low salary. Poor management. Lack of support and recognition.

Overworked, underpaid. Managed by unqualified people!

Worked there as a Client Service Coordinator. Was told openly during a team meeting that CEO/management's motto is "Fire fast, Hire slow". Be very careful of people backstabbing you and management claiming credit for work that you had done. Low morale, high turnover rate. Good to use as a stepping stone to gain more experience, a temp job while you find something more stable. Be prepared to do the job of 4 people while getting the salary for one person.

Pros

Nice building

Cons

High turnover, don't invest in staff education, heavy workload, no work-life balance

Private run company means Money Rules overal

Staff backstab and management takes in gossip. Clients pay alot of money per day for care but if their expectations are not met, they complain and management Fires the staff person. All it takes is a complaint from a client who refuses to believe the nurses reasons for safety is in the best interest of their family member. Msnager backs the nurse. Client then complains more and gets her way and staff member gets fired. PSWs are over worked and unappreciated. English speaking nurses are mistreated and the first to go when "trouble" comes from management. High turnover of staff. Your license and knowledge/skills has no power against the almighty doller. Manager has MBA and nursing degree but her MBA is what she uses only. Ndegree is just a degree. She has never used and the proof is in her actions or lack of. She doesnt know what to do in an emerg moment but when it comes to financial emerg she is fast and eager to solve. Run Away and never apply. Your license is at huge risk in this place and under this management.

Pros

Building is beautiful and Clients are lovely

Cons

Managment and their focus

Horrible Management and No Job Security

Extremely high turn over due to no flexibility and no support or understanding from management. You are expected to do far and beyond your job scope, and asked to do other people's jobs when they quit. It takes them months to hire new people.

Cons

No support

Good company and provided soical services to seniors

Carefirst is non-profit company, They provide more difference progams to seniors in Down Town area, The services is including daily activities and special progams (ex. Chinese New Year, Chirstmax).

Would not recommend

Had to work overtime with no pay. The Program Director I worked under can't lead and make up her mind. Lots of back-stabbing, politics and micro-managing. Turn over rate is very high. The worse place to work for.

satisfaction excellent

I Gained more experience to working independently. And I understand the important of motivation ,and encouragement. Working with Carefirst seniors and Community services gave me more opportunity in my careers to progress, to be a patient and compassionate care giver

Pros

community sharing

Cons

n/a

good for learning

Care first seniors & community services association  Basic bookkeeping and Files sorting  Answered phones, managed mail,  Simple tax for seniors  Computer teacher  Events planner

excellent

It is very good company. co-workers are ok. I learned computer skills.

Pros

nothing

Cons

nothing

recruitment of PSW

interview and screening resumes of PSW candidates, updating information in system, management employment requirements for PSW's certificates and diploma

Pros

focus and easy job

Cons

poor career prospect

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carefirst Seniors & Community Services Association. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Carefirst Seniors & Community Services Association with

Learn about Carefirst Seniors & Community Services Association in popular locations