Carefirst Seniors & Community Services Association

Carefirst Seniors & Community Services Association Employee Reviews

Canada10 reviews
Came to this agency for ahwile. A senior staff came to me and said I don't have experience doing programs. I was speechless as I graduated from accreditation university for that specialty and I even did placement specifically in program coordination and development. She did nothing at the office beside admin job and basic psw job (her title was psw). As her seniority (12+ years), the one who came later than her does the work for her. Not only that staff but some older staff would leave all the physical job for you to do.

Registered nurse would point at you in front of the other colleagues as she thinks I should not stop a dementia client taking someone else's stuff.

Bad management: manager doesn't know how to arrange staff

Too many causal staff, however, some of them do not know what they have to do

Sometime there are lots of clients and there are not enough staff, sometime is vice versa.

HR is not responding to emails. And if you are contract staff, be well-prepared that you have to chase them for renewal or else they will be disappear.
Pros
Enjoy working with clients, flexible hours
Cons
Negative environment for team building
After arriving at the client's house, I would be responsible for assisting in meal preparation, personal hygiene and medications. I have learned that communication is key in my interactions with the clients in order to understand their perspectives and provide more holistic care. Although it was hard to assist someone who was dying since I have slowly built an emotional connection with the person I was assisting, I still enjoyed my interactions with the clients and their family members.
Poor management. Managers are lacking the competency to support and motivate the team. An unhealthy working environment. No job satisfaction at all. Turnover rate is extremely high. Anything happen, they blame the staffs first. Horrible working environment
Very poor management, managers are lacking the competency to support the team. Be prepare to do your job without proper training and support, very unorganized. Youre on your own to figure out how to do your job. Heavy workload, be prepared to do a job of multiple people everyday or even more if someone on your team quits, the work will be dumped onto you, dont be surprised. The salary doesnt reflect on the heavy workload. Its just slightly higher than minimum pay. If youre looking for a job with decent pay, exit this posting window already. They dont see employees as ammunition for better profit, employees are just tools to get money. No job satisfaction, no recognition, no work-life balance, staffs are not treated right. Lots of gossips, not a healthy working environment. Resulted in very high staff turnover rate, low staff retention.

If youre a fresh grad and just looking for experience, its a good start and new learning experience. Its not recommended if youre looking for a decent job. Not worth the headache.
Pros
Pretty building
Cons
Heavy workload. Low salary. Poor management. Lack of support and recognition.
Worked there as a Client Service Coordinator. Was told openly during a team meeting that CEO/management's motto is "Fire fast, Hire slow". Be very careful of people backstabbing you and management claiming credit for work that you had done. Low morale, high turnover rate. Good to use as a stepping stone to gain more experience, a temp job while you find something more stable. Be prepared to do the job of 4 people while getting the salary for one person.
Pros
Nice building
Cons
High turnover, don't invest in staff education, heavy workload, no work-life balance
Staff backstab and management takes in gossip. Clients pay alot of money per day for care but if their expectations are not met, they complain and management Fires the staff person. All it takes is a complaint from a client who refuses to believe the nurses reasons for safety is in the best interest of their family member. Msnager backs the nurse. Client then complains more and gets her way and staff member gets fired.
PSWs are over worked and unappreciated.

English speaking nurses are mistreated and the first to go when "trouble" comes from management.

High turnover of staff.

Your license and knowledge/skills has no power against the almighty doller.

Manager has MBA and nursing degree but her MBA is what she uses only. Ndegree is just a degree. She has never used and the proof is in her actions or lack of. She doesnt know what to do in an emerg moment but when it comes to financial emerg she is fast and eager to solve.

Run Away and never apply. Your license is at huge risk in this place and under this management.
Pros
Building is beautiful and Clients are lovely
Cons
Managment and their focus
Extremely high turn over due to no flexibility and no support or understanding from management. You are expected to do far and beyond your job scope, and asked to do other people's jobs when they quit. It takes them months to hire new people.
Cons
No support
Carefirst is non-profit company, They provide more difference progams to seniors in Down Town area, The services is including daily activities and special progams (ex. Chinese New Year, Chirstmax).
Had to work overtime with no pay. The Program Director I worked under can't lead and make up her mind. Lots of back-stabbing, politics and micro-managing. Turn over rate is very high. The worse place to work for.
interview and screening resumes of PSW candidates, updating information in system, management employment requirements for PSW's certificates and diploma
Pros
focus and easy job
Cons
poor career prospect
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Carefirst Seniors & Community Services Association. Our community is ready to answer.
2.4