Care Human Services

Care Human Services Management reviews

Clear

Nepotism and favouritism abounds

Enjoyed the actual work, but was often short staffed which makes it difficult.Management is very cliquey, unpredictable and unprofessional favouring relatives and friends for promotions. Do not recommend unless you are looking for lots of hours and can put up with management.

Pros

Working with the residents

Cons

Short staffed often

Wonderul career with wonderful people

I have worked here for the past 9 months and have found that I enjoy it completely! The staff are really friendly, management has always understood and supported me if I needed to talk or get time off for personal/family reasons. The residents and their families are wonderful to connect with. It isn't an easy job but it is a very fulfilling one if you have the work ethic and caring heart to persue it!

I have worked for CARE for more than 7 years. I really enjoyed working there. Great support from management and team. Taking care of vulnerable people is not a easy job but CARE is doing an amazing job there. Community should be thankful to CARE for taking care of our vulnerable people.

If I could give No stars I would..

Bad business. Constantly looking for employees for a reason. Terrible management, no leadership just good PR. Concerns for individuals placed in their “care”.

Pros

Amazing clients

Cons

Everything else

Disorganized and Unprofessional

CARE is the most disorganized company I have worked for. From paying salaries late to not providing the appropriate training for employees. This workplace is filled with drama and unprofessionalism. Initial promises sound appeasing but I can guarantee even the best employee won’t find a long term career with CARE, as their termination rates are the highest I’ve seen.

Pros

Many Amazing Perks

Cons

Unprofessional, high termination rates, zero to no response if you require professional documents

Horrible company

“CARE” does not actually care about their patients nor do they care about proper protocols. The worker to patient ratio is ridiculous! They have support workers there trying to do the job of a registered LPN. They have support workers administering medicine with little to no training. The management is everywhere and they can never seem to stay organized. Managements idea of training on Lifts, administering medication, behavioural, etc is all a big joke. They pretty much give you a PowerPoint slide and expect you to know everything from that, no actual training on site with an actual LPN, just other support workers who were provided the same PowerPoint and training as you were. The actual work itself and job with the patients is awesome, it would have been even better if they weren’t understaffed all the time and fire people for no reason. Unfortunately management is just terrible and these poor Patients are the ones who are suffering because of it! CARE also does not care about their employees, the support workers who don’t work in DSL don’t even get a lunch room! Care forces the Employees to either not take a lunch because they are understaffed and it’s not possible to leave all of the patients by themselves or you get to go take 10 minutes in an old patient’s room that’s been emptied out. They also feel that apparently in the job title of a support worker that you are obligated to go out and shovel sidewalks and leave all of your patients alone in the cottage and you are also responsible for administering medicine to a cat....Just pathetic.

Pros

Other Employees/great patients

Cons

Long hours/horrible management

Team Environment with a focus on Compassion and Mental Health

My experience at CARE was nothing short of positive. I learned so much about the support services industry during my time there and have a deep respect for the community service workers employed there right up to the management and board of directors that oversee CARE’s operation. CARE is so unique in its offering and supports individuals who often have few, if any, options for care elsewhere. This places an extremely high demand on its workers and management has to balance many conflicting concerns ranging from government regulations, funding concerns, supported individual needs, the wishes of the supported individual’s family, worker safety, even environmental limitations. At the end of the day, not everyone will be happy, but the decisions that are made are done so with the intent of providing the supported individual with the best supports possibly and highest quality standard of living. As an employee, I had access to a wide array of training - including mental health first aid. What was important to my role there was understanding that I was part of a team and that my perspective was not the only one. Decisions are made at many levels within the organization and sometimes those decisions are made based on information about a supported individual that is confidential and cannot be shared at every level. CARE has changed lives for the better within the communities it operates in and I worked there with a deep sense of pride and purpose seeing all the good that was accomplished. It can be fast paced, stressful, and frustrating, especially for support staff, but I believe -

Pros

Team Environment, Health and Lifestyle Spending Account, Training

Cons

Stressful

The Name of this Company "Care" is reflected in many ways - day-to-day

I have been working with Care Human Services for just under 2 years and in this time, I have been provided with lots of support in my role(s) and have always felt that I could approach my Team Lead and/or Manager if needed for anything that I was struggling with, whether it be work related or if something had come up in my home/work life balance/health issues that could have arose. I have always felt supported!When you join the Care Team, there is an understanding that they want you to grow and learn and branch out to new roles that challenge you, to help you move forward in your "career" choice whatever that may be, HCA, CSW, Maintenance, Kitchen Support, Recreational Coordinator's, Residential Coordinator's, Behavioural Supports, LPN's, Care Coordinator's, Team Leads, Program Manager's etc...The Individuals are always first priority and that is shown right throughout the agency. Every decision that is made, is made with the Individuals best interest at heart to help them succeed in their independence and also to protect them, especially during difficult times, that we are all going through together. We have had a lot of fun times with activities and games, decorating, celebrating holidays and we are all doing the best we can as a team for the Individuals in Care, which makes my heart smile, to see the smiles on their faces!I have personally seen colleagues everyday go the extra mile for every single Individual in Care and I could not be happier than I am working with this company. Are there days that are hard? Yes, but that is the same with any job that you are in and -

Pros

team support, management support, benefits, flexible hours (shift availability for 24 hour support), location, assisting other with their daily needs

Five stars doesn't mean "perfect" but...

...but it wouldn't mean perfect if I got five stars, either. I started here as a Community Support Worker, and I've worked with CARE, in a range of positions, for over 8 years, now. Some of the positions worked well between us, and at least one didn't. But, even when things didn't work, CARE worked to find a next position for me that again worked to our mutual benefit, and I will always be very grateful.CARE has always accepted my commitment to the Company and to the people we serve, and I've always known that management deeply cares for the people we serve, and their employees, in return. I'll also add that my own lack of self-confidence and skills in some important areas has, I'm sure, increased the times when I've felt highly stressed, or "not good enough" or not valued. Certainly, no problem has ever been "all their fault" and, as one supervisor put it beautifully: "we're all works in progress, here."One thing I know that has worked for me at CARE (I straight up asked) is--beyond my commitment to Company and residents--that I've accepted any criticism as my chance to step up and meet the challenge. And, from my side, CARE management has always listened to me and heard me out, even in the tougher times.So: no, not perfect, but I still happily give the full five stars. My rewards here at CARE have far, far outweighed any negatives. And I love my work. If what I wrote speaks to you, I very much recommend working here.

Wouldn’t recommend

Don’t know what they’re doing. Huge transition all the time, in the year I worked there went through 3 HR people. They dispose of people with out any logical reason, and when the individuals ask why they never share. You don’t know what’s happening ever.

Pros

The residents you work with are great

Cons

Everything about the management is horrid. Treat there staff very unprofessional

Jobs at Care Human Services

See more jobs

I great place to work

I have worked for Care Humans Services for about 4 years now . I enjoy working at Care and look forward to coming to work everyday. I found that the company actually care about their clients and staff and they have treated me with so much respect and actual caring. Care has a team working environment and everyone is there to help out and answer your questions. At the end of your day it is very rewarding to know you have made someones day at little better. The management have treated me with so much respect and have helped me advance my skills so much. Care have provided me with so much training to help me preform my job more confidently which I feel is a benefit to our clients, company and myself.

An organization that is progressive and not afraid of a challenge

I have been with Care tor several years and have enjoyed my time here. I have been given the opportunity to move about when a certain position or site didn’t work for me and have also been given opportunities to also advance in my career. I see a lot of reviews are about Management and I would like to give my opinion. Care has a lean Management Team. The CEO, the Director of Programs, the Director of Support Services who also helps with accounting and hr, and two program managers (Stone Brook and Residential). They are there when needed and have Team Leads and Coordinators in the homes FT to meet our needs. Sometimes people leave and are disgruntled (I think a lot of these reviews show this), this is probably because the Organization does have a high standard and although they will invest into employees (like me), they don’t keep employees who bring down the team and are not willing to change around forever. I am thankful for the opportunities I have had with Care. It’s not where I will finish out my career as eventually I’ll probably want a change but it is a place where I am happy and challenged and I’m sure will continue to be as long as I’m here.

Pros

Flexibility, not too heavy, will invest into employees who come with a good attitude and a willingness to learn

Cons

Shift work, working some weekends, some holidays (it is however 24/7 Care so I get it)

Nice place to work

Care has been very good to me ever since I started with them. They allowed me to have another full time job and had given me flexible hours. Also, I work with great people who are dedicated to bettering the lives of the individuals we work with. Staff are easy to work with and can be depended upon. RC's and Team Leads are accessible anytime of the day. A typical day at work would be engaging with happy and contented individuals. We don't often see senior management but they're just one phone call away. If you're looking for a place to work, with good benefits and highly motivated people, try CARE!

Very Poor Management

This company has no communication between team lead and RC's and support staff. They never supply all the things you need to do your job and the houses are constantly out of stuff. The clients have no quality of life, and Care isn't interested in doing what's best for the client as long as the company is making money. They want the clients to just be quiet and bored out of their skulls. Not a fulfilling job at all.

Pros

Good Wage, Stable schedule

Cons

Management, company purpose

Worst Company Ever

Please beware of this company if you don’t want to have PTSD and mental health issues in the future! I worked for this company for 5 years and in that time I have witnessed their “management” scream at clients, residents, staff and family members of those residing in their “CARE”.The name change has got to be the biggest joke of all. They don’t CARE about their clients, residents and staff at all! It’s all about profit for them and the CEO will be the first person to tell hard working, caring, loyal staff that they are completely replaceable! (HCA’s/ CSWs/ LPNs/ etc.YOU ARE HARD WORKING, CARING PEOPLE, YOU ARE NOT REPLACEABLE!) They will fire amazing staff on a whim because they stood up for their clients needs and said something! The company instead keeps staff that have abused clients and then promotes them! Management will force staff to forge documents so the company looks better, change/create policies in the back room as inspectors are asking for them. Yet they always seem to find a loop hole to every disgustingly shady thing they do. Extremely toxic environment, with absolutely no room to grow unless your friends with or kiss managements backside. 10/10 would NEVER recommend to anyone! FYI- This place has the highest mortality rate than any other home in the area!

Pros

The people who live there!

Cons

Management is disgusting!

Would not recommend to anyone.

Management is terrible and they do not care about their staff and are overworked. So badly run and can’t keep any staff. I do not recommend this workplace to anyone.

Poorly Named Company

For human service oriented people, helping individuals with with special needs is the goal no matter what company one works under. The very best part of the job was working with the individual in my care. In my case, I had the pleasure of working with a wonderful team in support of this individual. Unfortunately that team did NOT include a supportive administration/management. Managers boast about having been front line workers at some point in their careers but it would appear that they have quite forgotten what that job is like. The majority of the communication is negative but mostly it is simply non existent. It appears that special projects and bottom lines are the determining factors in service provision. The policy manual is invoked when enforcement of policy against employees is deemed necessary but is tossed to the side when not convenient for the management team itself. There is an atmosphere of fear among the workers. People are afraid of their jobs if they voice an opinion or suggestion and heaven help you if you actually advocate for the individual you work with. Management have a bad reputation for shooting first and then...well...actually they just shoot. I actually feel very badly for them because they have lost a lot of their best people at all levels because of their horrible management techniques. Others have also mentioned that there is no advancement in pay scale no matter how many years on the job or personal risk level involved. Benefits are on the low end of industry standard. If you are a parent or guardian of an individual in the care -

Pros

Good local team and loved working with the individual

Cons

Poor management!!!!!

Horrible company

Don’t waste your time working for this company. They treat there staff horribly and are tons of drama. If you do work here, keep your head down and don’t say anything however people who have done that still have been fired. This company likes to make false allegations about their employees and put them on “paid suspension” and than fire them and they won’t tell you what these so called “allegations” are because they are lying and there is none. Avoid working for this company if at all possible

10/10 do not recommenced

The hiring process is long and rather unnecessary. Not many people have a month to spare when in need of a job and you are required to fill out personality reports, skills assessment, and a virtual interview.Upon hire you will go through in class training that will completely underwhelm you for what a day in the life actually looks like. If you manage to stick it out through that you will come to find that upper management is very disorganized. During my employment I have been paid late twice, once being TEN DAYS after expected pay date. The communication is terrible amongst management and the front line workers. Understanding this is a nonprofit you should expect that quarterly budget reviews dictate your future. Premiums and bonuses are dependent on that, how ever I have worked for other companies that are much more organized. Shifts can change with little notice and you can expect to wait days reply from human resources/upper management if you are in need of anything. Save yourself the trouble and wait for this company to pull their life together.

Would not recommend.

I never found the management to care about their team members which is sad and unfortunate. I hope in the future they work on team bonding and interdisciplinary respect for one another.

Worst company out there..

I had heard rumors all over the region about this company. How greedy, nasty and incompetent they were. I still applied, the job itself was what attracted me. I left because I couldn’t stomach how little they “CARE” about the people they are supposed to be serving. It is very ironic that this "company" changed its name to CARE yet they bully staff and mistreat the clients This company is not only corrupt but so very poorly managed. The CEO is so incompetent that she hand selected 2 people with zero people skills let alone leadership experience. She surrounds her self with incompetence so no one calls her out for being equally uneducated and under qualified. This company is a JOKE. You will be pressed to find anyone who has been there for a long period- everybody sees it and jumps ship or gets fired for no reason if they just don’t like you. The conflict of interest at their Stone Brook site between a Director and a staff member is beyond inappropriate. If either doesn’t like you, you’ll be bullied out or fired. Nobody does anything because it’s a private company and by now they have figured out lots of little loops holes to do whatever they want and get always with it. The longer they are in business the longer they have to take advantage of society’s most vulnerable. They don’t practice what they preach. Very vindictive. High turn over b/c of the above. No overtime. No vacation bank. No sick time. No Respect. Don’t waste your time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Care Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.6Job security/advancement
  • Care Human Services
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?