CAR PICS 2.0 Employee Reviews

Re think this company
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Ontario4 April 2018
Expect to drive a lot, try to find work each day(Cars) be paid $10 per car Yes you work at your own pace.
Now use you when they need you & on the other side only work when you want to.
Understand that you will only find out by 8 pm the night before, if there is a job, thereby making it tough to arrange another income revenue for the next day. You have to give your days of availability on the Saturday prior. Understand, they may give a dealership to shoot, but mid day remove the dealership away and “say we had another photographer take care of it”.

Pay has not gone up in many years! Now expect only to get $10 per car, yes it works out to maybe $18 hour but get paid as a consultant or as your own company, no benefits, workers comp., plus pay your own taxes. You bill them at the end of the month, and get paid the end of the next month. So from the shoot day to the pay day could be up to 60 days.

Consequently, in the job, yourself could end up driving 149 km and not getting paid for the gas(which gets you $25 only if google maps tells them, with no accounting for construction). So if you drive to 3 different towns to shoot 2 cars in town #1 and 5 in town # 2 and 3 in town # 3 = 10 cars ~ $100 plus you have done 149 km on your car at your expense plus spend 1-2.5 hrs driving depending on weather and traffic. Conversely, after all that they may have 9 cars to shoot with 6 with outside-inside not clean/or available because of repairs / or the battery is dead! Moreover, you could shoot 20-25 cars if the dealerships cared enough to have them sitting in one area, with
  more... all the keys and are clean. But that has only happened to maybe 1 out 30 dealerships. Now the weather has to be right, dealership needs to have ready the cars and you can find the cars. You could drive all the way up to 60k and get there and it starts to snow - guess what they do not want you to shoot their cars.

Some dealerships will only give you access to 3-5 keys, than you find out over 1/2 the cars are sold or pending to be sold. Training at some dealerships to use their system, is on your coin and at their convince. Waiting around for keys is expected plus you may not get proper information on what is ready to shoot or even sold. Ordinarily, on an average day expect to walk 1000-28000 steps to find and shoot the cars. Nevertheless be ready to wash/and clean off the snow up to 3” and scrape the windshields of your own cars to shoot, if you want any work.
Eat your lunch in your car at the back of the property out of sight plus eating while working is a no/no & frowned on if you are in sight of the office.

Do not complain to the office, you will be lower on the list to get jobs. Expect there to be favouritism (unfair preference, preferential treatment, special treatment, one-sidedness, prejudice, bias, inequality, unfairness, inequity) in getting jobs. They will always go by “rewarding high ranking shooters with more frequent schedules” even after you are sent in to clean up the rudeness of other photographs & apologies for their issues.

Just by chance you do not have good internet or good connection, expect to spent more time and cost of trying to upload the images. You expected to have all the images uploaded by 8 pm the night of the shoot if there are connection issues, again not their problem.

If you Think this will give you a proper income “ Think again”
Pros
Great people in the dealerships you deal with, Determine your own day to work
Cons
Understand that you will only find out by 8 pm the night before
Thumbs up for CarPics!
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 March 2018
I was looking for a part time job and found Car Pics. With their flexible schedule it is better than part time, throw on top that you are taking pictures, and yes it is a great job!
Car Pics strives for quality photos and they will definetly raise your level as a photographer. Their workflow is well thought out and smooth, it requires a bit of a learning curve, but you quikly get efficient and then you sure shoot… I’ve shot over 50,000 photos in my first 12 months!
Once out on assignment it is just you, your camera and cars, lots of cars, you’ll see them all: from the fancy ones to the not so fancy… Throughout the day Car Pics support team is just a text away and promptly help you.

Over all, working for Car Pics for the first 12 months has been a blast and I am looking forward taking lots more photos for them!
Pros
flexible schedule, can't beat taking photos all day...
Cons
weather, at times it causes to scrap the day, =no pay...
Great company to work for if you love photography and cars
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON1 March 2018
This is a great opportunity to get consistent work as a photographer, which as many know can be a struggle at times. On top of that, the work can very flexible to accommodate for other opportunities that may arise.
A typical work day would include driving to a dealership (Usually a few) and getting handed keys. You then go out and begin taking pictures of the cars requested, once finished hand the keys back and you're on you're way! After you're done all you're scheduled stops you then have to upload the pictures to the editors (which doesn't take long at all). Depending on how big the day is, you could be done work by 1pm or by 5pm.
Overall the job is very laid back and low stress. Also once you get in the swing of things, you learn to deal with different situations as they arise.
On top of that, its super easy to get in contact with with the home office. So if you have any questions while on the job or after work, you can easily shoot them a text or email.
So to sum it up, Car Pic's 2.0 (or I guess It's renamed to "Car Media 2.0" now) is a great company to work for and I would definitely recommend jumping on the opportunity to join this wonderful team.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Consistent work, Get paid to take pictures of cars
Cons
Repetition, Lots of driving (over 150 km you get compensated for gas)
Great company to work for
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 March 2018
Having retired from the IT industry a few years ago I decided to use my passion for automotive photography to earn little extra money. I started shooting cars for dealers with CarPics2P0 in February 2016 and have had a blast ever since my first day. Most days, I can plow through the list of cars pretty quickly, sometimes problems do arise (dirty cars, cars not ready, duplicates…) but most problems can be resolved pretty quickly on site by relaying this information to both the lot associate and the support staff at CarPics. I really like the challenges of shooting different cars every day, one day I could be shooting a $200.00 parts car and an hour later I could be shooting a $400.000.00 AMG Mercedes-Benz. The periodic QC we receive, are fair and help keep the photographers on point and able to deliver a quality product to the editors. If you are detail oriented and want a job that is rewarding and challenging, then CarPics2P0 is for you, I can’t recommend them enough.
Pros
Flexible, Great Support, Good Communication
Cons
The weather........just make it stop raining!!!!!!!
Incredible Flexibility with Earnings that Match Effort
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Durham Region, ON1 March 2018
A great group to work for despite the fact you may never meet each other face to face. There's always a laugh and solid communication. I've been treated like a pro by pros since day 1.

Each week, you submit your available days to work. No questions asked. If you've got another job or responsibility, don't be available that day. It does take some time to get up to speed on shooting the cars and being around dealerships, but once you do, you can make some decent money. If you're fast, organized, detailed and thorough, things will go well for you. You've got to be willing to work in the heat and the cold, and deal with the odd delay on the lots, but the benefits FAR outweigh those minor issues.

I've never had one issue with communication with the office, I've always been paid on time, and any issues I've had with dealerships they've had my back. Could not ask for more.
Pros
Incredible schedule flexibility.
Cons
Weather can be a headache. Not exactly their fault.
Friendly and Flexible. Great to work with in all counts!
photographer (Current Employee) –  London, ON1 March 2018
I started photographing for Carmedia December 2016 as a way to make "guaranteed" money while I hustle for my photography business. Before Carmedia I was working part time at a retail store but wasn't really happy doing that anymore. They were only as flexible as a company who puts out their schedule 4 weeks ahead of time could be. Needless to say, it was a pain to plan photoshoots. When I was introduced to the opportunity at Carmedia it seemed like the perfect partnership! I replaced my part time retail job with Carmedia and it's been absolutely perfect since. No more stress with planning my own shoots while still easily being able to shoot for them. They ask for your schedule Saturday for the coming week, so If I have anything planned I tell them "can't shoot this day, but if it changes I'll update my schedule". I have made adjustments through the week and have been able to pick up an extra day, or swap days around. They are very easy to work with. I find communication great typically. Sometimes there's some confusion at a dealership but HQ responds within minutes so you can always get things cleared up fast. Sometimes the earnings per hour are great other times you will put in more hours and get paid less. It does vary and it completely depends on the dealership and yourself. I learnt early on to call at least an hour before going to each dealership. It has solved many problems of waiting around for things to be ready. That said sometimes you do still have to wait. Again, something I've learnt is just to have other work with me too. I always bring my journal so I can work  more... on my business plans, quotes etc. If I'm going to be sitting in a lounge for 20 min waiting for keys, I might as well get other work done. Some dealerships are better than others, it is what it is.

Other than shooting for "new initiative" I don't really think there is anywhere to advance too, and there doesn't appear to be raises, at least for now. It's definitely more enjoyable than retail, and even with the minimum wage increase, it does still work out to more per hour as well. As far as job security goes, I've always felt no place can offer true security. With Carmedia you're not really an employee so you can't be fired, but I'd imagine if you aren't producing good quality results and if you cause issues with the dealerships they would decide to not schedule you anymore. So it's not like you're untouchable. Just shoot great and be a nice person. I have not had problems with this at all.

Even still after more than a year working with them I get emails here and there updating me on my quality so it's good that they do check things over and let you know how you're fairing out.

I definitely recommend shooting for Carmedia!
Pros
Flexible, $$, contacts are pleasant to deal with
Cons
damages are on you
Three years and no regrets working for CAR PICS
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Otawa28 February 2018
I started in January 2015 after looking for additional income as a photographer. Working part-time for CAR PICS since and haven't looked back. The company is very easy to work for, the headquarters staff are always there for support and encouragement, the flexibility of the job is great and you can set your days available making time and space for other pursuits if required.

Your income of is of course dependent upon the amount of cars you shoot (and weather sometimes) but once you get up to speed on the process, one can earn a nice monthly income. So if you like cars and photography, are detail oriented possessing good people skills, like meeting people, making new friends and take pride in your work, working with CAR PICS is a great gig.
Pros
Job flexibility, good additional income, self employed
Cons
Weather disruptions (hey, it's Canada so shut up about it -;)
Great opportunity
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 December 2017
like the other photographer said, the schedule is incredibly flexible! Every Sat morning you will be asked to give the next weeks' availability. Then the evening (sometimes late afternoon) you will receive an email from scheduling team about the next day's assignment locations. The folks in the office work very hard and they communicate openly and honestly.

here are a few things that I really liked about working with Car Pics:
1) $75 base pay for every day you go out and shoot for them. Since we are getting paid on per car basis. and the job is heavily dependent on weather conditions. sometime, It could turn out that you got to the location and the weather comes unworkable. or dealership didn't get enough cars ready for the shoot. In both these circumstances, you are guaranteed with a $75 for the day from the company.

2) The work is steady all year long. Forget about making a few thousand on a wedding shoot or something. It's not happening that often and you can't possibly shoot weddings all year long. It's ideal for pros to use carpics as side gigs that will keep generating income even in the slow time of their businesses. As for young photographers like myself who are still trying to establish themselves, this is great for me to generate enough income so that I can pay for my food and rent so that I can be free of relying on a part-time job that has nothing to do with things that interest me the most-photography.

3) It's great for photographers who are considering to relocate within Canada. They have dealership clients all over Canada. If you do a good job, they
  more... would want to keep the working relationship going. Taking me for example, I just recently relocated from Saskatoon (a tiny city in the midwest) to Toronto. It helps me immensely because I can start working immediately after I come to Toronto. It saved me time, money and frustration to look for a job like I would if I don't have this lined up for me when I arrive in Toronto.

So overall, the pay is good. and it's steady work.
Pros
flexibility, the opportunity to drive all kinds of cars (if you love cars like me)
Cons
Need to buy additional insurance in case of dealership lot accident
Diverse, flexible and fun work environment
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON7 November 2017
Working for Car Pics has been a pleasure. Out of the many jobs I’ve worked in the past Car Pics is by far the most flexible regarding scheduling. The people in the office do their best to make both the photographer and dealer happy, as well as the support team is always there to help if something goes wrong. It’s a diverse, constantly changing work environment, going to different dealers daily means there is always something new which helps to keep the job interesting.

The only downside of the job is the weather dependence, for obvious reasons we don’t shoot in the rain or heavy snow.

Overall fantastic job, the entire team really care for and takes care of the photographers, they treat us like friends not just subcontractors.
Pros
Flexible schedule, constantly changing atmostphere
Cons
Weather dependent
they don´t care about photographers
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 July 2017
Not a good company to work for. Dealerships are rude and they will give you dirty cars while car pic will tell you not to shoot it in that way. So you will have to pick between having carpic complaining or the dealership. Once the dealership complain about you not wanting to shoot those cars you are done, carpic won´t say anything but they will send another photographer and you will be vetoed for the rest of the dealerships.

If you want to feel expendable and walking over a thing ice, this is the place for you.
Cons
bad management, poor communication.