Capital Power

Capital Power Employee Reviews

Canada15 reviews
The atmosphere is very relaxed yet everyone is a solid professional. The people at Capital Power are very friendly. I was a contractor but from what I can see the pay, benefits and worklife balance for permanent are excellent there. In fact I just helped a colleague get hired there.
Had better experience elsewhere. The people were great. Management not so much. Nice building, Lots of job movement. Lots of people were let go in a short amount of time.
I worked here during shutdown time. I am happy that i got a chance to look at the power plant and seen huge turbines, boilers, generator and process of generating power electricity. Very interesting.
I was a summer student for 2 consecutive summers and also fall and winter of the 2nd year. I worked at the Genesee plant.
I genuinely loved my time there. It was an excellent learning opportunity and I, a person with anxiety, found the coworkers incredibly pleasant. The company gave several learning experiences for a student worker to increase their knowledge base and also improve their overall value in the workforce via resume seminars, leadership speakers, and volunteering.
Pros
Often free food, benefits, friendly staff, learning opportunities abundant
Cons
Driving to Genesee plant in winter was scary. That's the only con I have
Ok company to work for, although you are not noticed for your hard work. Not much room for advancement unless you suck up to management. Lots of gossip. Took some concerns to management and HR and they would not listen.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Lots of gossip and very clicky
relatively small company, can be family like, but also lots of gossip. Like any place its the people you work with directly that make the difference. Senior management is not very diverse.
Capital Power is definitely committed to its people. They like to give people days off monthly, and work hard to accommodate requested time away. At the plants, site bonuses are common.

From the top to the bottom, Capital power has one of the best ingrained safety cultures I have ever had the pleasure of working in. I learned a lot there and I finished my contract as a better safety professional then when I started.
Pros
Best wages I've seen, Good safety culture
Capital Power was a great place to work with great benefits. Great culture in a company moving from fossil based to a renewable's company. Advancement difficult if you are not willing to move to Edmonton.
Pros
Benefits, Work/Life
Cons
None. Great Company
Terrible work environment. People working there were negative and hard to get along with. High turnover rate, must be losing all the good people to other positions.
Worked as a summer student and had plenty of opportunities to learn. Worked with great colleagues and had well trained managers to oversee work and explain the importance of tasks and how things are to be completed. Work culture is is balanced with having fun and getting things done on time.
Just like any other company, start my day go to meetings, take a look at pending logged tickets etc. I enjoyed working there while this opportunity lasted but not without challenges as at any other normal job
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Unpredictable bosses.You are permanent but not really
Capital Power has been the most enjoyable company I have worked for to date. Great work life balance, ethical corporate culture, employee benefits, and stellar public image and relations makes me proud to say that I have worked here.
Pros
Work life balance, pay, benefits, opportunity for advancement
Cons
They dont have offices where I am moving to
A company with a tremendous amount of office politics. A very large company, but unfortunately the people who do most of the work do not get any of the credit.
Created as a spin off of EPCOR in 2009 upper management had a lot to do to establish a corporate character that identifies values when I left. I rate It low as an employer when I left in 2011.
I personally loved working for CPC. If it was not for having to relocate due to my husbands job I would have stayed there. I really enjoyed working for my boss and my coworkers were fabulous. Anyone getting the opportunity to work for this company should consider themselves very lucky.
Pros
salary & benifits