CAPITAL IRON Employee Reviews

Friendly work environment
HOT TUB CONCIERGE (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC5 November 2018
Most of my work was completed at customers houses. I drove my own vehicle and was left to my own devices throughout the day. The workplace environment was friendly and approachable, although sometimes I had to go to the store just to print off a daily schedule which could just as easily been emailed. Overall, the job was enjoyable and an easy fit as part-time.
Pros
Gas and Mileage reimbursment, trusted to complete work unsupervised
Cons
Required to go in to store at the start of the day, regardless if I needed materials
It was a fun place to work as a summer job but not as a career
Builder (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC31 August 2018
A typical days work was from 9:00 am until 5:30 pm. The management was quite poor, but very nice. They trusted their employees to get the job done. Also if you were good at your job the management would gladly give you time off when you wanted it.
Pros
Management trusted you
Cons
poor management
understaffed
Head Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 July 2018
Fun work environment....sometimes. Very reactive rather than proactive. Very little room to advance, friends tend to get the best jobs. Minimal pay increases regardless of performance.
Pros
Great staff at the Westshore location
Cons
the pay
Your coworkers are what make the job enjoyable!
Cashier/Garden Department Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 June 2018
Management could have been improved. The customer always comes first, even if they are being abusive throughout their journey in the store. You could work there for over 5 years and not receive one raise. The products they buy to sell to customers are marked up to a ridiculous amount which causes most customers to shy away from purchasing those products - which causes the company to go bankrupt and do mass layoffs, the majority of the employees laid off are usually the most valuable and hard working.
They have good staff parties though. Your coworkers; the people you see everyday, become your family, you will be sad to leave them.
Pros
Fun staff parties, staff discount, coworkers are amazing people
Cons
Management sucks.
Sales clerk
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC28 May 2018
A fun old department store with an eclectic feel. Locally owned and operated but brings people in from all over the world. Sales positions can be physically demanding at times but definitely rewarding work.
Atmosphere of terror
sales (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC28 April 2018
There is an atmosphere of terror, with the management spying on the staff to catch them in wrong doing.
There are no regular performance reviews and increases in wages are rare if ever forthcoming.
You only ever hear from the management if you have made a mistake, never when you have performed well.
Pros
Free lunch at Christmas
Cons
Everything else
Phenomenal work environment
Shipping & Receiving/Yard management (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 November 2016
Came into work everyday with friendly people, was a very casual place to be involved with. I was able to learn more from a management perspective, People came in and out as new employees quite often. The retail side of the business was what i enjoyed most. Having to create sales and engage in conversation. than at a later date, be able to deliver to their homes what they purchased. It was a personal job
Pros
great hours
Cons
unorganized
Costumer Service (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC8 November 2016
Employees were great, nice, funny, helping and understanding. We worked together as a team and I learned a lot about proper ways to organize clothing and shoes and also how to measure and cut fabric correctly.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 October 2016
Fun and exciting place to work.
Lots of different department to experience
Good challenges and learning curves.
Great manager and team player at Westshore location
Pros
Great staff discounts
Cons
Great outdoors job, friendly staff (management and coworkers).
Yard Person (Former Employee) –  1900 Store, Victoria, BC16 August 2016
Typical day:
Using forklift, loading and unloading trailers.
Assisting customers with their purchases to their vehicles.

Coworkers:
Work well together on daily tasks or projects
Great team to work with...

Management:
Very professional, understanding and very thorough with work assignments.

What I learned:
New and updated ways of inventory processing, deliveries and inter store merchandising.

Hardest part of the job:
Nothing work related, just having to leave when my seasonal position came to an end!

Most enjoyable part of the job:
Working outdoors for one and being able to work in an environment (using my skills and experience) with a great bunch of people and a great employer.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Only a seasonal position!
Happy Workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria31 July 2015
Great place to work. I was excepted almost right way from everyone! Relaxed surroundings! I just would like everyone to know I like working there.
good people, supportive staff
Hot Tub Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Victoria8 June 2015
An iconic Victoria business. The work pace can be intense but the staff is very supportive. Job descriptions are very loose and most of us have developed great flexibility. Large numbers of customers daily with many different demands and styles develop some very good customer service and conflict management skills. Everybody from the owner to the front line are very hands on.
Capital Iron
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 March 2015
Retail sales environment in a well established store. Working directly with the customers and general public is always the best part of this occupation. Great co-workers and a family owned business.
Good people to work for
Sales (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 May 2013
Now owned by the original family once again, the owner(s) are quite nice people and fair to work for.