Capital District Health Authority

Capital District Health Authority Employee Reviews

Canada21 reviews
Position was stressful due to interdepartmental conflicts and inadequate resources. Several departments became centralized and siloed making collaboration challenging to provide services to clients
Working at CDHA was a tremendously valuable experience, and presented numerous challenges that helped me grow in my professional life. It was also extremely eye-opening.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Union representation
Cons
Workplace culture
Great place to work. I work within emerg and the people there are all fantastic and helpful. Management is great and very clear on expectations. Good pay. Lots of flexibility with hours
Pros
Flexible shifts, great work, great coworkers
Cons
No holiday bonuses as a casual
I enjoy every day my duty as a Registered Dental Assistant, am willing to take on new challenges in my career. I thrive on learning new aspects of our health and dental care profession.
I loved my job at Capital Health; a lack of designated administrative procedures at times became problematic, however, all in all, the work was gratifying and enjoyable.
Pros
Interacting with the public and fellow employees
Cons
Lack of good management
I have had a back injury and had surgery . This is the reason I left camphill
I then went to work in the colleges to teach what I knew from my experiences etc

I then took a footcare course which I have been working at on my own

I have been laid off from Success College in June due to lack of work
Pros
Excellent job Excellent learning experience
Cons
Not always stable due to work is guaranteed only by student intake
My typical day was getting my clients up and feeding client who could not feed themselves. Toileting clients, making beds and tidying rooms.then repeat all at least four times a day.
Pros
great team
Cons
horrible management
I enjoyed going to work everyday . I started working there when I was 19 and was excited then about my job. When I retired from there 31 years later I was still excited as I was at 19. That was like my second family. Management treated you with upmost respect and made you feel special.
Pros
Happy and health work place.
Cons
Lots of resources available as well as learning opportunities. High stress, fast paced environment. Deal with lots of different healthcare professionals. Good team work and communication is essential.
I learned a lot from this Coop job (commissioning, project management, etc.)

I really found it is a great experience as a Coop student to apply school's knowledge into practice.
Seriously whoever posted an ad looking for a Safety Advisor with 25 yrs experience, and offering $30-$31/hr is a joke. At minimum $75-$125/hr.

Wants a fully degree individual with a quarter century of experience. I've only got 12 years experience but I would never work for less than $65/hr+++.
Pros
Under appreciated
Cons
Pay is a joke
Moving to Ontario has allowed me to reach out to many patient populations. However, I miss the East Coast. I miss the passion. I miss the patient population. I cannot wait to return.
During my short time at Capital Health Authority/Victoria General Site, I was trained by very knowledgeable staff to a degree where I could complete tasks on my own even though I was just a student. I was only there for a month doing my work term, but I enjoyed the time with administrative staff, nurses and surgeons. They were all very open to "showing me the ropes." My time there was informative, enjoyable and eye-opening.
Pros
I hour lunch break, close to city transit and close to city centre.
Cons
Parking wasn't available most times.
CDHA is a good place to work. Lots of resources and support staff and everyone tries to do their best to make a difference. I think it would a better place if there was not such a disconnect between front line staff and and upper management.
Worked on a very fact paced unit with many things happening at the same time. This unit worked as a team. It felt.like a family working together. During codes emergency situations everyone worked together and supported each other,
Always very busy,but satisfying employment
Need to stay focused and be aware of your surroundings, especially when working on patient floors.

A few great co workers who would bend over backwards to help you ,but many more who would sell you out for a dime.

A tremendous amount of "favoritism" in the workplace. How far you advanced in your position mattered mainly on how great your friendship was with the Supervisor. So not much room for advancement unless your someones cousin or best friend.

Women in management roles are "Catty" having an instant dislike for other women under their supervision.

The hardest part of the job was time limitations. The best part of the job was working and interacting with the patients.
Pros
Patient Interaction and Job
Cons
Unprofessional Supervisors and favourtism
Working for Capital Health in Victoria General Hospital was a great experience for me. It was both very challenging and rewarding to work with Capital Health. It was challenging because of the lack of resources, yet rewarding because of the excellent and knowledgeable staff that continuously helped each and supported each other in order to survive a day of work.
My typical day of work starts with assessment of my patients, caring out nursing procedures, communicating with other members of multidisciplinary team and advocating for my patients.

Working as a Registered Nurse is continuous learning process to be able to provide the best and safe care to the patients.

The hardest part of my work is to provide the best care while working with limited nursing staff.

Rewarding part of my work is when, going home after my shift is finished, knowing that I did everything I could to help my patients to go through their ordeal and they appreciated my work.
I enjoyed the autonomy given to nurses working in a busy emergency department. It was fast paced but a very satisfying job, being able to help those in need. Opportunities for advancement as well as educational opportunities.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
very busy
excellant management good work enviroment mon to fri, good co-workers learned about medical industry hardest part finding reliable casual relief workers. best part of the day was hearing from nurse managers on the on time delivery of their medical supplies.
Typical work day included interaction with patients and staff, getting to know patients.
A typical day at work for me is greeting patients that come in, registering them, booking appointments and answering phones. I work with wonderful people dedicated to helping our patients. The hardest part of the job is when we are short staffed and the most enjoyable part of the job is getting to meet a lot of different people with different abilities/disabilities and how they are overcoming them.