Capilano University logo
Capilano University

Capilano University Employee Reviews

Collaborative place to grow

Being an RA was very fulfilling but requires a lot of self-management, time management, and collaboration. It is not a regular job as it involves living where you work, tending to emergencies at all hours, and compensation is in Room and Board. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to meet students from all walks of life and contribute to their experience in University through events, activities, and support.

Pros

Room and Board, Team building, Growth

Cons

Undefined working hours

Culture isn’t great

I liked my role but not the style of the managers and supervisors because of their lack of experience, leadership and collaboration.My role could’ve been rewarding role but I was working with individuals who have no clue what they were doing, and I felt withdrawn and disappointed. I worked with a supervisor who had no idea what the work entailed; and made no efforts to collaborate and support the team. There was always people talking about each other behind their backs and bringing on negative energy at the work place, which is what drove me away. This university’s academic advising unit needs a lot of work and training. It is a crucial part of student success and they lack quality. I was amused with the level of u professionalism I experienced on a daily basis. I couldn’t cope with a culture, where there was so much of negative energy.

Pros

Benefits are quite generous

Cons

Micro-management, lack of leadership, incompetent managers

Poor management from the top

Management mind-set and practices are outdated in IT.No project management practices in place and teams not keen to change as there are too senior team members about to retire.Poor decision making and focus in the non-important matters.Friendly staff.

Pros

Friendly environment

Cons

Very poor IT management

Don't buy into the rosy picture...

This university claims to be all about promoting Indigenous culture and diversity yet somehow the ENTIRE upper leadership (including the First Nations Department) is composed of white people. The upper management is incompetent and apathetic to the average new employee and will only back whoever is nearest to suck up to them. There is no organization or workflow or being rewarded for hard work. University claims your evaluations are based on performance when in reality it is all about power politic and senior HR talking behind your back and judging you superficially rather than objectively and with due process. There is a lot of backstabbing by that Department and many in the most senior positions need to be removed or fired. Just don't buy into the façade that this a fine place to work and that it is a fantastic "opportunity" to work here.

Pros

Benefits Package

Cons

Old Leadership Creating Toxic Work Environment Rather than Working

Productive and learning experience

The workplace is great with good management and culture with great opportunities for learning new things every day. Easy to maintain a good work-life balance.

Had a great experience

Actively participated in various activities and have a good experience of working in fast paced atmosphere . Got engaged in activities related to college

Get ready to be used and abused

- Get ready to be USED and ABUSED. - Onboarding process doesn’t exist and there’s no room for advancement (NONE). - Their very high turnover rate says it all.

Always evolving, friendly supportive community

Capilano University has afforded me many different opportunities over the 18 years that I have been employed there. The fact that the University is constantly evolving to stay relevant, keep jobs engaging. Capilano University is continually recognized for having an amazing community and the people are what makes the place hum. I have learned that to be a truly effective leader, you must listen to the people that you serve, both staff and students and they will lead the way with their knowledge.

Excellent educational institution

Capilano University has been an exceptional place to go to school, with quality teachers and a beautiful campus. They have been kind enough to offer me employment as a research assistant.

Small but innovative university with strong positive culture

But.. if you are full time in IT you need to join the union. And the pay for full time is a bit below the market, but it works for some. Parking is paid, but there is a free one on the street if you come early. Great HR department. IT is collaborative but a bit slow if you are looking for intense work, it is not the best place. Awesome campus. cafeteria and summer BBQs

Jobs at Capilano University

See more jobs

Collaborative

An ideal employer for mid to senior designer looking to do rewarding design projects. Never have I been supported in my professional career where trust is never in question.

Collaborative workplace where you can make a difference!

There has been much change at CapU and the excitement of seeing projects take shape is amazing. One person can make a huge difference and make things happen and are fully supported by leadership. The people and community are really what makes CapU stand out for me, I feel lucky that I get to work here every day. Beautiful campus and lots of well-being focus is a bonus. Benefits are fantastic and do help to offset salary expectations within the industry. I've learned that you can use your initiative here and roll with ideas, definitely an employer that appreciates individual talents and strengths.

Nice environment and good work life balance

Nice environment and good work life balance Good management good benefits super old system low salary good staff and management difficult to promote and advance career path

Great place to work, excellent people, fantastic students, love the culture.

Great place to work, excellent people, fantastic students, love the culture. Strong management support and culture. Recommend teaching at CapU. Always open to new ideas, highly collaborative environment.

Pros

Great management support team. High level of collaboration. Open and positive.

Cons

Not one of BC's "Best Employers"!

Like one other reviewer says, people are only there for the pension or the money, or they are part of the problem.Toxic culture. Unfriendly or insecure and hostile department heads/ coordinators, and union mentality eveywhere - to the detriment of students!!! People have been out of their industry/ workplace so long that they don't realize that their behaviour is not acceptable at work. Unique work cultures - not in a good way. Very poor leadership on many levels. Lacks feel of a university despite the nice scenery. Beautiful scenery is plentiful in the lower mainland.

People are good, location can be problematic when there are accidents on the Iron Workers Memorial Bridge

I enjoyed my time at Capilano University. It was for 2 one year temporary full time contracts. Good place to work, although the salary is not competitive and turnover tends to be a little high.

Beat experience thus far

Cap U is wholly committed to you. They care about your development and ensure you have the support you require to the best job you can each day. They all are open, warm and welcoming and are looking for opportunities to improve themselves.

Staff Union Position

Great benefits and decent salary. Nice location. Limited upward mobility. Toxic workplace culture. Very political. Many people were unhappy, those who stayed, stayed for the pension (because they had to) or they were part of the problem culture.

Revolving door

The salary is not equivalent to what you are asked to do. Organizational culture is poor, management/executive does value employees, don't care if people leave.

Beautiful campus with great staff.

I really enjoyed working here as they are very friendly staff who is very understanding. The position I held here was part time but I was delighted to go into work everyday.

Pros

Pays well.

Cons

Holding poses for long periods of time under hot lighting can make the job a little difficult

not a fun place to work

do not work here for they are not there for there employes and you never get a raise and they just want you to work and no breaks and when threaten at work the bosses don't do anything. work sometimes 12 hour shifts and no break and when sick they don't let you have days off or when family emergence come up you still need to go and work. you have to pay for your lunches and they only give you 30 mins to eat and get back to work if is busy you get no lunch break.

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Capilano University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement