Capilano University

Capilano University Employee Reviews

Canada38 reviews
Had a great experience
Actively participated in various activities and have a good experience of working in fast paced atmosphere . Got engaged in activities related to college
Productive and learning experience
The workplace is great with good management and culture with great opportunities for learning new things every day. Easy to maintain a good work-life balance.
Get ready to be used and abused
- Get ready to be USED and ABUSED.
- Onboarding process doesn’t exist and there’s no room for advancement (NONE).

- Their very high turnover rate says it all.
Always evolving, friendly supportive community
Capilano University has afforded me many different opportunities over the 18 years that I have been employed there. The fact that the University is constantly evolving to stay relevant, keep jobs engaging. Capilano University is continually recognized for having an amazing community and the people are what makes the place hum.

I have learned that to be a truly effective leader, you must listen to the people that you serve, both staff and students and they will lead the way with their knowledge.
Excellent educational institution
Capilano University has been an exceptional place to go to school, with quality teachers and a beautiful campus. They have been kind enough to offer me employment as a research assistant.
Small but innovative university with strong positive culture
But.. if you are full time in IT you need to join the union. And the pay for full time is a bit below the market, but it works for some.
Parking is paid, but there is a free one on the street if you come early.

Great HR department.

IT is collaborative but a bit slow if you are looking for intense work, it is not the best place. Awesome campus. cafeteria and summer BBQs
Collaborative
An ideal employer for mid to senior designer looking to do rewarding design projects. Never have I been supported in my professional career where trust is never in question.
Collaborative workplace where you can make a difference!
There has been much change at CapU and the excitement of seeing projects take shape is amazing. One person can make a huge difference and make things happen and are fully supported by leadership. The people and community are really what makes CapU stand out for me, I feel lucky that I get to work here every day. Beautiful campus and lots of well-being focus is a bonus. Benefits are fantastic and do help to offset salary expectations within the industry. I've learned that you can use your initiative here and roll with ideas, definitely an employer that appreciates individual talents and strengths.
Nice environment and good work life balance
Nice environment and good work life balance
Good management

good benefits

super old system

low salary

good staff and management

difficult to promote and advance career path
Great place to work, excellent people, fantastic students, love the culture.
Great place to work, excellent people, fantastic students, love the culture. Strong management support and culture. Recommend teaching at CapU. Always open to new ideas, highly collaborative environment.
Pros
Great management support team. High level of collaboration. Open and positive.
Cons
Not one of BC's "Best Employers"!
Like one other reviewer says, people are only there for the pension or the money, or they are part of the problem.Toxic culture. Unfriendly or insecure and hostile department heads/ coordinators, and union mentality eveywhere - to the detriment of students!!! People have been out of their industry/ workplace so long that they don't realize that their behaviour is not acceptable at work. Unique work cultures - not in a good way. Very poor leadership on many levels. Lacks feel of a university despite the nice scenery. Beautiful scenery is plentiful in the lower mainland.
People are good, location can be problematic when there are accidents on the Iron Workers Memorial Bridge
I enjoyed my time at Capilano University. It was for 2 one year temporary full time contracts. Good place to work, although the salary is not competitive and turnover tends to be a little high.
Beat experience thus far
Cap U is wholly committed to you.
They care about your development and ensure you have the support you require to the best job you can each day.

They all are open, warm and welcoming and are looking for opportunities to improve themselves.
Staff Union Position
Great benefits and decent salary. Nice location. Limited upward mobility. Toxic workplace culture. Very political. Many people were unhappy, those who stayed, stayed for the pension (because they had to) or they were part of the problem culture.
Revolving door
The salary is not equivalent to what you are asked to do. Organizational culture is poor, management/executive does value employees, don't care if people leave.
Beautiful campus with great staff.
I really enjoyed working here as they are very friendly staff who is very understanding. The position I held here was part time but I was delighted to go into work everyday.
Pros
Pays well.
Cons
Holding poses for long periods of time under hot lighting can make the job a little difficult
not a fun place to work
do not work here for they are not there for there employes and you never get a raise and they just want you to work and no breaks and when threaten at work the bosses don't do anything.
work sometimes 12 hour shifts and no break and when sick they don't let you have days off or when family emergence come up you still need to go and work.

you have to pay for your lunches and they only give you 30 mins to eat and get back to work if is busy you get no lunch break.
Cons
Diversity and inclusivity are an integral part of Capilano University’s campus community. Our multicultural student body, faculty and employees enrich our learning environment and experience. CapU is committed to attracting and retaining a respectful and diverse workforce.
Volunteer & Community Experience
Spoke with guests to ensure that they found the career fair and answered any questions that they had.Directed guests to appropriate parking spaces and issued parking permits
Excellent experience, but extremely low pay
I worked at Capilano University as a sessional instructor and laboratory supervisor (non-regular) for about a year. My colleagues and the management in my department were absolutely fantastic! There were lots of opportunities for faculty engagement and extracurriculars. In my experience, the students who attend CapU are generally intelligent, engaged and driven. I really enjoyed working there and the work itself was quite rewarding. The experience of working at CapU was very beneficial for my career.

However, the primary purpose of work is to be able to pay your bills, which this job did not do. After calculating for time spent preparing lectures, modifying labs, marking tests/assignments, and student contact time, the pay worked out to be approximately $20/hour (after calculating for the cost of travel to/from campus and parking, this dropped to about $16/hour). This is far less than what I was making in grad school and about five times less than what I was making for doing the same work at neighbouring institutions. I used my income at my other jobs to supplement my work at CapU.

There is superb potential at this school, but the non-regular employees' benefits and wages are egregious for the level of education (PhD) and time input required for these positions. (It is my understanding that regular employees receive a much higher rate of pay.)

If you're looking for a good experience and CV building, CapU is excellent! If you're looking for a livable wage/salary this may not be the place for you.
Pros
department management, job satisfaction, experience
Cons
pay
Unmanaged change
Capilano has been undergoing substantial change for many years, and has lost many, many good people. There's hardly anyone left in senior management who has been there more than a few years.