CanWest Concrete Cutting and Coring

CanWest Concrete Cutting and Coring Employee Reviews

Canada17 reviews
CanWest is a great place to learn to use many tools and equipment, I worked there for a year and learned a lot on that time, met some great people there that helped me to go ahead.
There was lots of chances to learn and build on your skill set in different areas of the business as an administrative staff member. I was given the opportunity to develop new skills and learn new software that I didn't have any prior experience with
Pros
Always busy, learning new things
Cons
Sometimes communication wasn't clear
Busy, fast paced. Modern technology, growing, expanding.

Typical day construction industry. Weather dependant rescheduling work flow.

Team environment
Great place to work! Great people as well as great organization in office. comparable wages and always a chance to move up in the company ! clean and vary organized
Every day is different and challenging, never a dull moment. Lots of hours and good people to work with. Room for advancement if you work hard and show interest. BBQ's are great!
Pros
Overtime, BBQ's, Challenging
Cons
Can be stressful
Great place to work, if you work hard and show up everyday you move up quite quickly with a competitive wage. Everyday is different which allows you to see all the construction industry has to offer, road construction/ removing concrete structures/ working in high-rises etc.
Was employed with them for 3 months couple decent operators to work with. Management is a joke could care less about you and have the communication skills of a hormonal teenagers. Pay isint worth the work taking a lunch break gets you in trouble and yelled at even though they deduct a lunch anyway every day. All in all the worst concrete cutting company around go work someplace else.
As a labourer you will get treated fine by your operator if lucky , management couldn’t care less . You won’t work everyday even if your operator does , window jobs lose money if not short day , gave me a fit test card never had a fit test or received a mask , if you have self respect go work for anybody else .
Pros
Operator was cool
Cons
Don’t waste time there you will have no future ,,,
Garbage management. I was fired for some imaginary reason and I've seen many other guys fired for the same non-existent reason. New management sucks and they'll treat you like you're uneducated. Safety is not up to par. They should be bought out by a real company like PCL or Lafarge.
Pros
money's good
Cons
sixteen, twenty hour shifts without notice
I would not suggest working here, management are all incompetent, want a raise? Good luck, want to be properly trained ha you wish, they work you to the bone for little money, the owner is a spaz he will fire you for looking at him wrong or doing the wrong thing. I would never work here again.
Pros
There are none
Cons
The company
If you’re starting out as a labour i suggest going somewhere else. They work you till your dead at 18-20$ an hour, and you probably wont see a raise. They promise a operator job at 6 months but instead fire you for no reason. Never have anything ready for job sites always unorganized. If you do window jobs you lose money on a long work day. They couldnt care about you, as long as you do the job and make the company money thats all they care about. Most operators are awesome though.
Pros
Most operators are good to work with
Cons
Long hours, bad managment, low pay
Overtime is expected everyday and working 6 days a week. Management pushes difficult deadlines. Work is labor intensive. Working through lunch is common.
Pros
plenty of hours
Cons
Hours are unexpected but the pay is amazing the employers are easy going and acceptable. the co-workers and great people, meeting some of the nicest people I've met.
Safety is not always up to date but if something is really unsafe they will try to fix what it is , waged between workers is unfair new hires start at 20 an hour but start higher if they are short on guys , worked here almost 2 years and new guys make more then me
Lots of mud and heavy lifting.
How to manipulate concrete and use a wall saw, coring drill, and curb saw.

Management was great.

Co-workers were bit rough around the edges but a good group non the less.

Hardest part was all the heavy lifting. If you have a weak back this is not for you.

Best part: good old fashion hard work.
The company is privately owned with very hands-on involvement. The company was continually growing and expanding into different areas of service. (ie. mudjacking services, asphalt/concrete milling services along with the concrete cutting & coring). The diversity made the job interesting & challenging and with my move to Red Deer I am hoping to find a positive and interesting work environment to utilize the knowledge and abilities that I have gained from my past employment.
Pros
great workplace and company barbeques.