CanWel Building Materials

CanWel Building Materials Employee Reviews

Canada36 reviews
Hard work for little pay
Low pay for extremely hard work. Heavy lifting not much training. Very hard on the body in cold conditions. Supervisors try to make the best with what they have management is out of touch
High intensity environment
It was an OK place to work. There were health benefits as well as a reasonable salary. With that being said, work loads would be increased if you showed any amount effort. Followed with no compensation.
If I could only work there now....
Just an amazing place to work! I would love to work there again! Great management,
& unionized. Lay off's sucked, but overall great plaxe to work.
Pros
No weekends
Cons
Lay off's
Need a lot of "on your feet" experience
fast paced and need to multi task extremely week....must have patience with outside sales.....lots of learning required...they are extremely helpful in teaching you......
Not a very enjoyable place to work
Extremely toxic work environment, favoritism and lack of professionalism by management. Watch out for the "in crowd", if your not a member you will get stabbed in the back.
Steer clear of this place if you have a mind of your own.

If you are a follower and don't mind being micro-managed and continually told what to do and how to live your life then is is the work environment for you!
Decent pay, but not worth it compared to everything else
I was supposed to have a 30 day and 60 day review, but those never happened. I would ask the Ops Supervisor when we were meeting for them and he said "soon, but I will always tell you if there's something we're not happy with or need you to change", so I thought I was doing fine, but then they let me go after "reviewing my 2.5 months at CanWel".

On top of that, there's not one single person in the office/warehouse that I can think of that the Ops Supervisor and Admin Clerk did not bad mouth to me (starting on my first day), including the Branch Mgr and Regional Mgr. They were continually whispering between themselves and I always felt like I had to have my back up. It was constant negativity every single day.

The senior employees ran the office, with none of the managers willing to stand up to them. They let those employees talk down to other staff consistently, while never getting reprimanded. The attitudes that the senior staff would come in with were so abhorrent and would disrupt the office, but never addressed in a permanent manner so it would be the same thing day after day.

Also racism was quite rampant, with often supervisors attacking other races, or commenting that indigenous protesters should be "shot in the street" among other things.

My actual work was extremely boring, with maybe having a total of 3.5 hours of work to do per day, as the other clerk was unwilling to delegate anything to me, and the managers did not step in.

I would not recommend CanWel to anyone.
fast paced hard working
Fast paced, hard working. Some of the employees were enjoyable ,some were tough to work with, management was good at times, but that comes with the business.
Belles promesses...
Promesses d'avancement à l'embauche.
Non respecté lors d'un ouverture de poste à l'interne.

Augmentation de salaire au compte goutte.

Tout semble beau au début et on réalise rapidement le "micro-managment"
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at CanWel Building Materials?
Nl
I didn't not like the neapolitan way the management worked. If they didn't not like you they would be sure to make your workday one that wasn't very enjoyable.
Hard to work for someone you cannot trust.
This company initially had me excited about the potential for career advancement within the company, until you spend enough time there and begin to see the cracks. Management is toxic at the upper level, which has lead to turnovers and general malaise in the workplace. It's hard to work for someone you know is dishonest and has an established track record of such behavior, including harassment of employees.

Benefits are above average and pay is below average. The company provides a reasonable amount of amenities for employees.

Feeling as though you are a valuable member of a team is crucial to long term careers. When you have a manager who goes out of their way to let you know that you can be let go at anytime, it creates an environment of uncertainty and distrust.

This company needs an enema at the manager level.
Not a positive experience.
Management does not respect employees. My way or the highway approach. Company conduct and attendance rules only apply to certain individuals. Culture of narcism from management. Advancement is difficult and not dictated by performance but rather a head office agenda. Toxic work environment.
Poor place to work
Salary was decent
Benefits were decent

Work was good

Employees will stab you in the back first chance they get, no matter how long you've worked together.

Hostile environment and very poor attitudes daily

Racism runs rampant....
Pros
Outside
Cons
Staff
Enjoyable and fulfilling worklife
Absolute top notch place to work, well paid, awesome benefits and you truly are treated like family. Very organized, very safety oriented and professional
Worst Job Ever
this was the worst environment I have ever work in.
Know one cares what your name is. I felt like I was in jail!

Head down, no talking, laughing or ever having fun at your job.
Waste of time
Management is rude. No work life balance and they don't care about their staff. Sales people are texting and driving because they don't have desks to work at on the road all the time and can't pull over to do business due to time constraints.
I don't recommend this company to anyone. Don't walk away RUN
Pros
Cons
Poor Management
A fairly stable work enviroment in a chalenging atmosphere
By in large a very professional organization, complimented with very experienced and caring workforce, however advancement is limited and high level positions are not filled from within.
Pros
provided an opportunity to meet and work with great people
Cons
minimal advancement opportunities
Dont do it!
I was employed here for 2 years. It is the WORST job!! Let's start with the safety hazards, they have custom machines contractors came in to build. They are not properly regulated... be ready to lose limbs... then onto the Heath. The chemicals they use will leave you at a loss for breath. LITERALLY! And onto wages. They don't even come close to compensating for what you'll be asked to do! Above all that your coworkers and management is awful. Don't expect to find help when you need it. But when you make a mistake they'll be sure to be there to scrutinize you. Like I said. If you're smart. Work at timmies or McDonald's where you know you'll be safe!
Pros
Awful
Cons
Horrible place to work.
I really enjoyed my time at CanWel. As the EWP rep, my day to day was intellectually stimulating and also relied on building relationships with customers, which I loved and excelled at. I had a fantastic manager who saw my potential and was exploring options for advancement before I moved away. Good place to be!
Pros
Salary, Good work/life balance, Interesting work
Cons
Some challenging team members
Productive Team Environment
Very strong team environment, with a very strong culture for training. Every member of this team, were available for any questions. Strong product line, and distribution process.
Pros
Team Work
Cons
Locations
Challenge and personal growth is guaranteed
A great place to learn a range of jobs within your position because of the many different aspects of business conducting on a day to day basis.
Perfect for long term job security, and investment.
A fun place for a younger worker
The Home Depot culture is built on having fun where you work. The pay may not be the best, but as a young worker, there was a great social culture to the job.