CanWel Building Materials Employee Reviews

Waste of time
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 February 2019
Management is rude. No work life balance and they don't care about their staff. Sales people are texting and driving because they don't have desks to work at on the road all the time and can't pull over to do business due to time constraints.
I don't recommend this company to anyone. Don't walk away RUN
Pros
Cons
Poor Management
Dont do it!
Labourer (Former Employee) –  North Dumfries, ON20 September 2018
I was employed here for 2 years. It is the WORST job!! Let's start with the safety hazards, they have custom machines contractors came in to build. They are not properly regulated... be ready to lose limbs... then onto the Heath. The chemicals they use will leave you at a loss for breath. LITERALLY! And onto wages. They don't even come close to compensating for what you'll be asked to do! Above all that your coworkers and management is awful. Don't expect to find help when you need it. But when you make a mistake they'll be sure to be there to scrutinize you. Like I said. If you're smart. Work at timmies or McDonald's where you know you'll be safe!
Pros
Awful
Cons
Horrible place to work.
EWP INSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 September 2018
I really enjoyed my time at CanWel. As the EWP rep, my day to day was intellectually stimulating and also relied on building relationships with customers, which I loved and excelled at. I had a fantastic manager who saw my potential and was exploring options for advancement before I moved away. Good place to be!
Pros
Salary, Good work/life balance, Interesting work
Cons
Some challenging team members
Productive Team Environment
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 September 2018
Very strong team environment, with a very strong culture for training. Every member of this team, were available for any questions. Strong product line, and distribution process.
Pros
Team Work
Cons
Locations
Challenge and personal growth is guaranteed
National Account Manager, National (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 January 2018
A great place to learn a range of jobs within your position because of the many different aspects of business conducting on a day to day basis.
Perfect for long term job security, and investment.
A fun place for a younger worker
Commodity Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 November 2017
The Home Depot culture is built on having fun where you work. The pay may not be the best, but as a young worker, there was a great social culture to the job.
Would be a fit for someone not interested in developing further
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 July 2017
Not ideal for someone looking for a structured company. There is a ton of opportunities they could gain market share with but you remained handcuffed at every turn
Good solid company
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 February 2017
Good company to work for.
Well know. In the industry. Working close with some major product lines. Continue to better their company
Great people
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 September 2015
CanWel Calgary is a great company to work for. The staff are fantastic people and we have had a lot of fun over my time there.Over the last number of years management has not been the best choice as they have not come from the industry and have their own direction not necessarily consistent with the building material industry.
Hardest part of my job is the stress related to the lack of communication between Sales/management/Operations.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the collaboration between myself and my staff, our customers and the men and women I work with who I call family everyday.
Pros
My staff, our customers, my work family
Cons
political issues, lack of communication and respect, current management
Order Picker/Truck Loader
Truck Loader (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS21 July 2015
Very difficult company to work for. All warehouse employees think they are your boss.

Very good pay with amazing benefits
Great environment - fast paced
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 July 2015
A typical day at work involves contact with my clients who are Home Improvement Stores , dealers and truss manufactures. I answer all technical inquiries and price all of the engineered wood products. I also have product knowledge of all allied buildings products that CanWel building materials distribute.

I have learned to be proficient at my job as I usually have several inquiries that I am assisting customers with.

My co-workers are great and all of the sales representatives help each other if required.

Our management team is very open and if I make a suggestion to improve the flow of daily business function they will discuss it.

I find the hardest part of my job is sometimes we can not have an order ready in time for a customer as our yard is just very busy.
I do not like to let a customer down as I know that it does affect their business.

I enjoy my job as I am using the skills that I have trained for as a technologist.
Pros
Free coffee and barbeques
Cons
Short staffed
Friendly environment
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 September 2014
A typical day at Canwel was by having a lunch break all together & being friendly with all employees.
The co-workers would help each other at work.
Busy Dirtibution
❸ Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton ON27 June 2014
BUSY BUSY BUSY
Load an unload, receive and Ship, spreadsheets and Inventory counts.
Review of Canwel
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 November 2013
There are good people in this company, however the leadership here is disorganized and detached from the their workforce
they speak of equality and non division but they won't inform their employees of even the most trivial plans.

they have a severe lack of concern for their employees or the circumstances they work in.

Examples being Unsafe practices with their equipment
their facility has bats and pigeons living throughout the building leaving feces in mass on the floor and on products.

they Do not grant raises regularly or to help balance the offset between cost of living and and wage.

the overall morale of their work force is low and generally one of resentment for their job.

i am not a disgruntled employee trying to take a stab at the company
my hope one day someone takes a closer look into this company to
help those individuals who believe themselves stuck in their jobs now.
Pros
good peers
Cons
poor enviorment
Great people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corman Park, SK4 July 2013
I enjoyed the work and the people, everyone was very helpful.
Pros
Pizza
Not happy
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 December 2012
I wish that the Management would have been more understanding.
Pros
no social life
Cons
long working hours.