CANPAR Employee Reviews

Disrespectful and abusive
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  New Toronto, ON21 March 2018
I did not like working at Canpar. They would not give us our schedule breaks and often overworked specific employees. They would search you and because of theft in the company cellphones were banned. So you can never see the time. It was a bad company and a terrible job.
Pros
Independent work
Cons
Slow with to many lazy employees
Warehouse work.
WAREHOUSE A LEAD HAND (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON1 March 2018
Canada-wide parcel service, shipping environment. Hard work, good exercise. Good people to work with. Easy to get to. Long, unsteady hours. .........................
Unprofessional
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON22 February 2018
People smoked in the bathroom, very unhealthy environment, people were not friendly and verbally abusive, they would make you work impossible hours without break
Cons
Night shifts, long hours
Used to be cool, down the drain now
Driver (Former Employee) –  Montréal19 January 2018
Worked for them for over a decade. It was always a demanding job - physical, on super tight schedules, all weather conditions, etc - and not exactly a place where they took you by the hand, but it was challenging and enjoyable if you took it as exercise you were paid decent money to do and most of the guys were cool to work with. Ever since they got bought out by Transforce the pressures became unbearable, the workload undoable, the personnel cuts unsustainable. The culture became ever more intimidating. Real experts at sucking the motivation out of their best workers. Now they've switched to owner operators and treat them even worse. Avoid.
Pros
physical and mental challenge
Cons
management
Best Job Ever
Courier Driver/ Route Rep (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 January 2018
I don't know how the company is now, but when I worked for them.. They were amazing. My best job ever. Unfortunately, I fell in love and moved back to B.C. Now I struggle to find a company just as good!
Pros
Almost Everything.
Cons
Very Physical and mentally demanding
Super
Prepose au prechargement (Former Employee) –  Boisbriand, QC21 November 2017
Super lambiance de travaille est fantastique. Ces tres plaisant.
labour
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 October 2017
if you are able to lift mail and big boxes on your own and unload a 53' ft trailer . You must to strong and just take your job relaxing or stressful ay time.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 October 2017
A typical day at work would be load my truck and go deliver my parcels to my customers and pick up parcels.Had some great bosses and had some not so great.I learned lots on the job and trained some on the job.I learned to be punctual which helped with going out on my own business.
Pros
Good money and benifits
Cons
Union job some worked some did not
canpar
Swamper/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC28 July 2017
high stress and low hours can't say it was the most enjoyable experience but well not every job fits everyones concept of ideal either way hopefully the situation improves
Pros
good exercise
Cons
low pay and hard work took away from hours
simple and easy to apply, however the hours interfere heavily with day to day life.
lifter (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC18 May 2017
Canpar is a great first job, its simple to get the hang of. days are four hours each so you know when you are going to be arriving and leaving always. The work is very physical and in the summer it can get VERY hot, never the less working over the summer at this place seemed worth it while i was going to highschool aswell.
Pros
only four hour days
Cons
four hours everyday. no schedule changes.
great work place
Driver (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 September 2016
great manger ,great team good place to work, everyone is helpful and is willing to go the extra mile to make sure a great service
Pros
off on birthday
summer work
Truck Loader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2016
Was a good place to work in the summer to make some extra for college. some of the co-workers were friendly and so not so. It was afternoons so had to make the best out of that situation
Pros
ggod pay for summer work
Cons
was late afternoons
productive and fast paced workplace
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2016
Night shifts, take every types of mail on the line and placed it in the trucks that you are in charge of, by postal codes in orders for the driver in the morning.Worst part is when you are asked to go unload the 53' trailer and put all the couriers on the line.
Pros
enjoyable hours
Cons
night shift
Overtime...
Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 January 2016
If you like overtime, you're going to like this job. Its not terribly hard work but it is fast paced. No BS, you will go in and out of your truck 150+ times a day. The scanners they use are a bit intimidating but you'll get onto it fairly quick. Its more important to know the routine with the scanner more than anything else at this job. Your truck is loaded for you by night staff and a little postal code map will be drawn for you on how it was loaded on the shelves and floors. It helps, but you still have to plan your route. Various ways to do that and you'll develop yours. Management is typical, safety talks in the office but do whatever it takes out in the field to get the job done. Its a union job, but not very observed. As for co-workers, you barely interact with them for 10 mins a day, you're on your own. Its alright work, but like I said there will be OT. 1 1/2 time pay for it though and you can bank it up to 40hrs. You'll need it because there are no sick days. Boo, not very family friendly. No work, no pay. Not very union at all. No urine tests, so pot smokers can get a job here. Hardest part is the boxes and stairs. Alot of one arm balancing while opening doors. The best part is the driving in your own truck. You can bring a fat lunch box and eat while you work to get done faster.
Pros
Good pay, No urine test, not micromanaged
Cons
Long hours (not really a con if you need the money), driving in rush hours twice a day
Fun workplace
Preloader (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON19 January 2016
This is a very good part time job for teens to work at before school. It's a fun workplace and friendly environment. The coworkers are cooperative as well as management.
boring
Off loading (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 January 2016
they rip you off when you get a check. my check was meant to be almost $200, but instead they gave me $33.39. the people there are cool, but its hard. safety is the main thing they look at. i hurt my finger and followed what i had to do. they sent me home then fired me.
fun workplace
Driver/rep (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 August 2015
get in truck
plan delivery route
rdf scanners used daily
co-workers/ management easy to get along with
hardest part of job --lots of boxes
going back to shop with empty truck at end of day
Pros
working by yourself
Cons
moving to different routes
Good work environment
Off Loader (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 March 2015
Great work environment, everybody gets along. I only use this for a second part time job. I only work two shifts out of the week.
Pros
short hours
Cons
horrible work hours
loader and driver
warehouse sorting and Courier driver (Former Employee) –  hamilton7 February 2015
loading trucks. going out and deliver parcels and picking up. a good place to work can be hard loading truck. bulky and heavy sometimes.
Hard-work but good experience
Warehouseman (Former Employee) –  Pickering, Ontario10 November 2014
Working at Canpar in Pickering was a great experience. The staff were team-oriented and worked well together in order to make sure mail was delivered on-time.