Canlan Ice Sports

Canlan Ice Sports Employee Reviews

Canada49 reviews
Pays well
I worked at Canlan Ice Sports for a few years. They pay well and the hours are very flexible. I enjoyed working at Canlan Ice Sports. Lots of physical activity.
Great place to work, flexible.
Instructor role offers flexible shift(s) - great working with kids on the ice teaching them the fundamentals of hockey and skating in general. Peers are easy to work with and are collaborative.
Job was easy
Easy work . Not the best pay but wasn’t hard work for the pay. Managers acted like they care but didn’t. Only a few of the staff cared about the cleanliness of the kitchen.
Na
Management doesn't have the experience that they need to do the job. Everyone is out to get you. They do nothing for employees that are there for a long time. Wages are lower than expected.
Loved working at Canlan
Loved working at Canlan Jemini Saskatoon. The general manager was the most supportive I've had at any workplace and the overall atmosphere was a fun and positive one. I'll miss working there and sometimes wish i had never moved on.
Good short term option for your career
Stressful in the sense that you know that they are aggressively looking at cutting costs, whether it is removing your position or adding to your work load without pay incentives. Hard to think long term when they think mostly quarterly.
Great company
CanLan is an excellent company. All departments work together to provide exceptional service for all aspects of the facility from rink level, office to restaurant. Everyone has a great working relationship to make a wonderful work environment like family. The members who we see weekly also make a daily work day a pleasure. The work and life balance is always considered to make employees feel good and enjoy working for such a great company.
Also, great to always keep up to date on all Heath and safety courses, CPR, and other job related courses to make for better trained staffed.
Pros
Great work place, management and work environment
Great Workplace & Environment
People are amazing there super friendly, and just an all around great place to work. Great hours, good pay, and a nice relaxed job. Management is all very friendly.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Canlan Ice Sports?
Productive Workplace with great employees
management was amazing and people working there were helpful and very nice. flexible hours, easy work, and lots of pre job training in order to prepare you
Great way to teach children about the sport I love
On a typical day at Canlan we would have 3 ice sessions and two field sessions to work with children aged 7-13. During ice sessions we focused on skills necessary for them to advance in hockey, while in the field sessions we worked on our physical conditioning while having fun (played a lot of soccer).

My greatest lesson from Canlan was to be patient with kids as they learn a new sport. Many times the kids would need to be shown a drill 2-3 times before they would be able to get it right.
Pros
Free lunch, good hours
Cons
No real breaks as you are with the kids 5 days a week, 8 hours a day.
Great company!
I loved working for Canlan. My time was short as I was contract. Lots of perks and great work environment. I can say the manager that I had at the time was out of control amazing! sad that I was only contract.
Pros
excellent team
Cons
none!
Environment de travail agréable
une école merveilleuse, une ambiance de travail parfaite! une équipe enrichissante!
Pros
l'équipe!
Cons
salaire faible
pro shop attendant
open the store and wait for customers to come in to get their skates sharpened.
- management mirco manages when it isnt needed

- the restaurant & office staff are awesome

- trying to find stuff to do was the hardest part about the job, management wouldnt let people use their creativity

- couldnt keep proper staff - everyone quit
Pros
discount on sports leagues, great people to work with
Cons
micro managed way to much
Good part-time job
Good job for long shifts and at night that won't interfere with school or other jobs. Cold place to work, make sure to wear 2 pairs of pants and a hat. The staff and participants can be friendly and make few jokes.
fun workplace
Great place to work. Amazing atmosphere to learn and grow on the job. Flexible hours depending on whether you're looking for more of a full time or part-time position.
Fun workplace, close staff members, easy to work there
I love Canlan and everyone there is like family to me. Most fun and entertaining job I have had and I love working there. Hours were pretty good, not very flexible but manageable. Summer hours were much easier to work. Always busy and I liked that.
Pros
Close relationships between bosses
Cons
Far from home
Nothing to say
Decent job. Policy all sets. Union on site. The whole place is quite old fashion.Not a lot of working load year round.Good job if you want to retire from it.
hockey players dream
you get to work with kids

I enjoyed being able to celebrate successes and encourage the kids through tough losses.

teaches you to work under pressure and to multi task.

FIRST AID training is provided and is needed more in this environment than any other environment i've worked in
Pros
independent work environment
Cons
often doubles, cant leave if no one shows up to relieve you
Amazing Place
Love Canlan, the people are incredible.
The managers understanding and incredibly nice

The sports and opportunities are amazing

Hardest art about working at Canlan is not as many hours as Id like, and sometimes late hours.

I've been taught incredible customer service and computer skills

Favorite part about my job is definitely the independence and trust they have in their workers to get what they are told to do done. No hovering
Pros
Paid training, sports, discounts on activities, people
Cons
late nights
Repetitive Work
Canlan was unique in it's field but became repetitive with it's only focus on hockey. Working environment was small but collaborating was easy among all departments.
Pros
Free Programming
Cons
Low pay, no room for growth
Fun place to work if interested in hockey
Score keeping is a fairly easy job once you've gotten the hang of it. It consists of taking information for referees, controlling a score board, and entering information into a computer.
Pros
good pay
Cons
games can get boring