Canfor Management reviews

Stay far away!!!
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Vavenby, BC20 February 2019
The worst management group I have ever worked with! The lack of trust and respect, micromanagement and no support for the employees are symptoms of the toxic environment here. A culture of pointing fingers and laying blame.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
everything else
Great place to work.
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC21 April 2018
I really enjoyed working at Canfor. The apprenticeship program was excellent and the staff were great to work with. Management was always helpful if you ever needed anything they were always very willing to listen to what you had to say and ready to help. If it hadn’t been so far away from my family and friends I would have stayed there for my whole apprenticeship.
Pros
Great pay and awesome training.
Cons
Too far away from everything.
Overall, it was okay. It paid well, but management was poor.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Elko, BC10 March 2018
It was an okay job. I didn't care much for waking up so early. The pay was great, but management staff was disorganized. The job was decent. Not many complaints.
Company doesn't walk the talk
Middle Management (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC7 March 2018
The corporate culture is supporting bullying and abuse regardless of the official communication. CANFOR leadership doesn't walk the talk it puts out and try to promote.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Abuse and resistance to change
Interstng
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Radium Hot Springs, BC22 November 2017
The management team at the Canfor I dealt with were and still are very unprofessional people.
It if it were not for the USW you would not have the great salary and benefits that the workers received. The brothers and sisters that work here are amazing people and really make it worth going to work everyday.
Pros
co workers and the union
Cons
managment
freemason cult running the place
Pipefitter/Steamfitter (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC16 October 2017
to say that canfor management are human beings would only be half correct. They profile for egocentric individuals who will preach safety and practise manipulation and lies to support a convoluted sense of employer/employee relationships. As mentioned in previous reviews the culture of safety exist only for PR ...the reality on the floor is down right scary. As a long term employee I have witnessed the deterioration of what was once a very good place to work. It would be so nice to see people both union and management....rediscover their souls.
Pros
fair wage work schedule
Cons
freemason cult dominates management structure
Good culture
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Elko, BC26 September 2017
a good place to work, friendly people who are easy to get along with. (both hourly and management included)

In the past year we have seen two different shift schedule changes, it is making me crabby! A lot of people pretty cheesed off about that. However management is "trying" to work with us but you can't please everyone all the time.
Pros
friendly co-workers, good pay
Cons
management not as proactive as one would hope...
Canfor is B.C's #1 employer
piler (Current Employee) –  Wynndel, BC9 September 2017
Canfor is an awesome company to work for, pay good, co-workers good, benefits good, management good, safety culture good, 4 days on 3 off good, tones of jobs to apply for internally good,they move the stat holiday to give you 4 day weekends which is wicked, solid place to work, the other folks on here slamming this place are full of b.s, hard work is respected and recognized in this company, i think it is a great place to work, couldn't be happier.
Pros
4 day weeks, pay, benefits, co-workers happy, management easy to approach
Cons
the only con is i wish i started working here years ago.
Stay far away !!
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Radium, BC18 August 2017
I worked as a Millwright in the Radium mill. Management is some of the worst I have ever worked for. No maintenance planning or parts available expect you to just get it done. Management changed my shift on me constantly with little to no notice. Management points the finger at anyone just to pass blame there motto is "work now greave later". To top it all off it is very unsafe working alone all the time equipment is all falling apart. They say safety is number 1 but I was not trained on anything and left to figure it out from day one.

Moral was also very bad everyone is unhappy there. I would say stay away not worth relocating.
Pros
good pay
Cons
everything
Know someone higher up or you're just an easy to replace number
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC4 July 2017
Was a valued employee worked graves for 6 months before making the switch to production. Was always praised for being the employee they went to for work to get done, once my "usefulness" wore off the amount of immature and outright harassing treatment began. A year and a half later since being wrongfully terminated and still recovering from the financial stress. Management is horrendous with "safety first" being preached but rarely practiced, and if caught in the crossfire of something happened your hide will be first to be thrown to the wolves to save their own skin. Seniority will often be ignored to bring on friends and push them through to higher paying positions before they're even hired on 30 days. Hopefully the company as a whole operates better than this sad excuse of what should be a professional workplace.
Pros
Fair wages, in town
Cons
Management, unprofessional, backstabbing
Productive workplace
Process Engineer Co-op (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC22 June 2017
Very productive company with knowledgeable engineers and operators, however the company needs better management and the work culture is not very friendly. The company strictly monitor employee's internet usage instead of focusing on their actual performance.
Meh
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Taylor, BC8 March 2017
My entire time with Canfor was spent hearing employees constantly complain about every decision that management ever made but not a single one of them ever voiced a complaint to management itself. I have never seen anyone put in less effort to their job on a daily basis than the staff at Canfor Taylor Pulp. That being said they were overall a nice bunch and when things really needed to get done they did and they were done properly.
Keep looking
Manager (Former Employee) –  BC21 February 2017
There are some good people that work here but corporate management has something wrong with them. They do not follow employment standards and when mentioned they don't care. Only place I have ever worked where I understood the need for a union.
Challenging to advance
Operator (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC24 January 2017
Management can be okay if you're doing what needs to be done that being said there's no trust between employee and management! this job is for someone who's starting out in the industry. wages are not the greatest if you have a family! it's not a career type job wages are low! they preach safety first but its production then safety! bottom line if you're desperate and hurting for a job take this!
Pros
Cons
management! wages! task! cross shift will leave you shafted!!!
productive work place
weekend clean up , then moved to graveyards (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC28 July 2016
The job was great, good money, decent bosses, never a dull moment. except the other employees were lazy and to "tired" to be working so hard. how ever i never let that stop me, i worked my little butt off and now i know the defference between hard works and lazy people.
this is the adjacent pellet plant not the sawmill side
no comment (Former Employee) –  chetwynd pellet plant12 July 2016
This position is offered for the pellet plant not the sawmill side. Through CENLP ( CANFOR AND PACIFIC BIO) .

That being said. I would not recommend applying to work for them unless your desperate. The managment or there lack of is atrocious. There are NO supervisors, the communication lines between staff are non existant, there are no defined job duties and your workload changes from shift to shift at times with no warning, leaving one to discover the hard way.

As far as the longevity of the pellet plant goes, things are not.looking good with the way its run.
Avoid if.possible
Pros
OT available, pay for ticket courses (fall arrest, etc) union staff are friendly
Cons
management, no morale, no trust, no communication, no on site first aid/first aid room
Great stepping stone in Mackenzie
Shift Millwright/Safety Rep (Current Employee) –  Mackenzie, BC13 April 2016
Great people to work with daily, usually runs very good, modern mill that has been rebuilt in last 2 years. Some supervisor bully to get things done which makes it a difficult atmosphere.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
frustrating to deal with same issues day after day
fast paced production of lumber
labourer (Former Employee) –  Vanderhoof, BC26 September 2015
management easy to get along with as long as you work hard and do what needs to be done...learn a variety of tasks and do them safely and efficiently...worked with a variety of characters that made it more interesting to go to work everyday...
good job
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BC15 August 2015
supportave management good co workers learned alot from older tradesmen working in the cold sucked when it had to happen the mill is closed down
Follow established policies and procedures to ensure a safe work environment and a fun workplace.
Maintenance Utility (Current Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC14 March 2015
A typical day at work is completing safety awareness, focusing on our job and followed everyday work routine. I've learned lots of things like how to handle, operate and maintain machines in order for it to function properly. In management, I can say they are just and fair in handling employees and they cater to our needs and also I enjoyed working with my co-workers,they're fun to be with which makes our work lighter and easier. The hardest part of the job is when machine malfunctions and needs to be fixed and there is a target goal to be reached and also with the time pressure to get things done.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when we are always ahead of time, production and everything.
Pros
Overtime and Free lunch or dinner
Cons
Unpaid working overtime hours if forgotten by supervisors.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canfor. Our community is ready to answer.